BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2000 M5 and wondering what issues I need to watch out for? I've already heard about the vanos going out and also the clutch. Should I take the car in to a dealer or bmw shop to have it inspected before hand? I live in the bay area and the car is located in SF. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check the wheels to see if they are buckled. Apparently BMW mag wheels (European Alloy) is softer than most.
Drive the car at a constant speed 80 - 100 kmh and see if you get a vibration through the steering or seat. If the vibe is thru the seat your rear wheels could be buckled, if thru the steering wheel then the front wheels could be buckled.

Other than the vanos and clutch and wheels, check for slack steering or free play. (Should be non existent). This will also show up when driving at high speed as well, (the car will tend to want to move around and not be too stable).

Check all electronic gadgets (especially the sport button and DSC) and the DSP. Sometimes it wont work after turning it (DSP) off and turning the car off, then turning it back on.

Check back speakers with high bass as the screws tend to loosen off.

Otherwise take it for a long drive and for a good period of time and check it out and more importantly enjoy it.

Good luck. :noSMG:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mileage on this car is 36k. Rims on this car are rashed(at least 2, maybe all 4). Front bumper is scratched(can be repainted) and rear bumper has a scratch and crack(probably has to be replaced). Owner wants to get $42,000 but I think I'll be able to get him down to $38,000. Others seem to think it's an ok deal but so far I haven't found one remotely as cheap even considering the damage. The only other thing I'm worried about is the vanos problem but when I contacted the dealer, they had no info about a recall and didn't even know there was a problem. Any other opinions on this car? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
edd1e22 said:
The only other thing I'm worried about is the vanos problem but when I contacted the dealer, they had no info about a recall and didn't even know there was a problem.
There wasn't a recall, but surely they should be familiar with the VANOS issues. I think it may be described in: Technical Service Bulletin #110401 JUL 01 Engine - Rattle Noise Coming from Front (VANOS area)

Check this link for more information on the 2000 M5 also.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Early 00s did not have rolled rear fenders which could lead to damaged tire sidewalls. I beleive there was a recall related to this - you might want to do a search to learn more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts