BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all the digits on the dash were decipherable...so with it being a warranty item, I brought it in for service.

When I picked up the vehicle, the background color on the gauges looked strange to me...I've owned the car for a year.

They are very light grey now.

I thought perhaps I was mentally seduced by the dash on the GMC truck rental I had for a week while they worked on my baby.

I am embarrassed to admit I can't recall what color my instrument cluster was...but it sure as heck wasn't the color it is now.

I called the service manager and he confirmed they changed the entire cluster and suggested that the color fades over time.

Could somebody here confirm what color the factory stock cluster is?

Thanks,

David

00M5 carbon/caramel
99M3 cosmos black
97 528i black
89 325ic metallic blue

·
Registered
213 Posts
The grey is the facelift 2001+ colour... I like you had my cluster changed about 18 months ago and to start with I hated it. I have grown to accept it and strangely I now prefer it... :confused: .

I recently drove a 2000 with the black dials and it looked very odd...

-Steve

·
Registered
530 Posts
David:

Black it was, grey it is. If you want to keep stock, you need to have it fixed by someone like http://www.vdorepair.com/

I prefer the black. :M5rev:

·
Registered
612 Posts
There was another thread on this topic going today.

I'm with everybody (well mostly everybody!) that I would have preferred the black to the gray background. But as I said in the other thread, at least BMW didn't go with an ugly "retro" white face!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I had mine replaced too, but I am partial to the new gray background - another subtle difference with other non-M cars.

New E60 M5 is with the all-black cluster. Would be interesting to see if in a couple of years with the upcoming E60 facelift BMW will change it to gray again.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Agree with those here who say that the gray is distinctive. Mine was replaced with gray due to the pixel thing, and I love it... all a matter of personal taste i suppose. Just hope the stupid pixels hold up this time... :hihi:

Cheers,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the gray cluster on my 2002 E46 M3. Looked mean!

When I first saw the black cluster on my 2000 M5 I tought the gray one would be nicer. But the black one really grew on me after sometime! I loved it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the gray cluster on my 2002 E46 M3. Looked mean!

When I first saw the black cluster on my 2000 M5 I tought the gray one would be nicer. But the black one really grew on me after sometime! I loved it!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Does anyone know what the Pixel Repair fix actually is?

Is is merely re-soldering something inside?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
louv said:

In my case, BMW replaced the whole instrument cluster. It would probably be very demanding to try and repair the pixels themselves.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I highly doubt the pixels themselves are failing. (I have the problem and it seems to be heat related: on very hot days I lose one vertical line of pixels... usually the same line) Then it works fine the next day.

I'm guessing it is either a loose solder joint or lose cable connection.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
louv said:

go to vdo mfr site, since they are OEM. They are replacing the flourescent display assemblies with their integral ribbon cables. They claim to be using a superior ribbon assy such that it will outlast a new unit from BMW. There appears to be some friction/competition between BMW service and VDO service facilities with VDO suggesting that BMW is not offering updated fix. This is a delicate soldering project & you need special jigs and tools in order to disassemble the unit without destroying it. The gauge needles can not be removed with conventional methods. Some really talented folks have failed. It is not a consumer backyard repair.

That said, there are several VDO repair shops around that will fix your unit like new from $200 to $400. You do not need to replace your speedo or go the BMW route. It is quite easy to R&R the speedo assy and it's described on the VDO site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
VDO Repair

I had my cluster repaired by VDO repair, Irvine, California. There is still a problem with a few pixels and so I am returning the cluster. I need to get a hold of the telephone number for delivery for this VDO repair but my search engine will not allow me access. Any help with the number would be appreciated as am working in tight timeframe, cluster is enroute.

Regards

Dave

·
10,458 Posts
louv said:
I highly doubt the pixels themselves are failing. (I have the problem and it seems to be heat related: on very hot days I lose one vertical line of pixels... usually the same line) Then it works fine the next day.

I'm guessing it is either a loose solder joint or lose cable connection.

Interesting, mine seems cold dependent. My current (second ,replaced about 2 years ago) cluster looses a vertical row (seems to be 3 different rows that are intermittenly acting up) on cold morings and all seems fine as the temps increase. I suppose i'll be on cluster #3 in a while. I wonder what they do with all of the old ones? You'd think that bmw would get them refurbished and put them back into service. Just think, you could get a black cluster again!
Mike

·
Read Only
322 Posts
Rampage said:
The grey is the facelift 2001+ colour... I like you had my cluster changed about 18 months ago and to start with I hated it. I have grown to accept it and strangely I now prefer it... :confused: .

I recently drove a 2000 with the black dials and it looked very odd...

-Steve
My 2002 M5 (build 04/02) has black dials... :M5rev:

·
10,458 Posts
VancouverM said:
Now that is odd.... should be gray after 01.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
dunerider said:
I had my cluster repaired by VDO repair, Irvine, California. There is still a problem with a few pixels and so I am returning the cluster. I need to get a hold of the telephone number for delivery for this VDO repair but my search engine will not allow me access. Any help with the number would be appreciated as am working in tight timeframe, cluster is enroute.

Regards

Dave
Hey, dunerider (like your handle) ... try this number:

Good luck, John.

:cheers:

BTW, mine came grey (2003, new car). I prefer the black faces ... just my preference.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
VancouverM said:
could it be a Canadian thing??? No, I also thought they were all grey after "01:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts