BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having vibration issues with my 2000 44k mile M5.

When revving the engine (vehicle not moving, trans in neutral), I am experiencing a distinct vibration in the 2500-3000 RPM range.
Definitely shakes the car.
Feels as if the engine is 'not balanced. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Todd said:
I am having vibration issues with my 2000 44k mile M5.

When revving the engine (vehicle not moving, trans in neutral), I am experiencing a distinct vibration in the 2500-3000 RPM range.
Definitely shakes the car.
Feels as if the engine is 'not balanced. Any input is appreciated.
This is quite the mystery...alot of people have it including me on my 2001. Never can tell it is there when driving - I mean obviously it is but you cannot feel it at least. I think a couple people took it in for this and never really got an answer - some have it and some don't.

I noticed mine while idling in a parking lot one night listening to the sweet sound when I would blip the throttle - it is right in the range you describe. My 2001 had about 9k miles on it when I noticed - do a search there are more threads about it. Unfortunately no real solution.

-Jeff

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
my 00 has a slight vibration at 1200-1400 or so rpm, maybe it's a few hundred lower than that. I notice it a little above idle. I wonder if it has anything to do with the vanos (i.e. normal). board member M Funf has complained of this issue as well. IIRC, his was cured when he replaced his exhaust with an aftermarket system, so perhaps something was touching the body along the way.
Mike

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I know nothing about the M5 vibration, but had dealt with others.

What I'd seen is that some motors have a propensity to vibrate at a certain RPM- that, coupled with the vehicle body can set up a resonance that is annoying. In this other marque, all cars had it to some extent, but some were much worse than others.... frustrating.

If this is just starting to develop, then something is changing. I'd look at belts and motor mounts. It would be difficult to imagine something 'broken' in the engine, and hence unbalanced, but no crashing/grinding/destruction noises! :)

Sorry I can't be of more help...
A

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Good luck with diagnosing the problem, hope you find a solution. Keep us posted

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have vibration too.

When driving with rob between 1500 and 2000.
It has very low frequency, about 1time per second.

Over 2000 rpm its gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I am not alone with this issue. I am going to check all the engine mounts, and am also doing an exhaust system change in the near future, maybe that will help the issue, as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Maggo said:
When driving with rob between 1500 and 2000.
It has very low frequency, about 1time per second.
What's 'rob' ?

And a vibration at one hertz is...strange.. is it a higher frequency harmonic that comes and goes with a repetition frequency of one hz, or is it actually a one hertz shudder in the vehicle?

·
Registered
192 Posts
ard said:
What's 'rob' ?
should mean RPM :M5rev:

ard said:
And a vibration at one hertz is...strange.. is it a higher frequency harmonic that comes and goes with a repetition frequency of one hz, or is it actually a one hertz shudder in the vehicle?
It's coming from the engine.
Perhaps a belt pulley?
Its also if I'm reving between 1500 and 2000 when the car stands still, so its not from the drivetrain

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Hard to say without more info. If I had to guess, it might be that there is a harmonic imbalance somewhere. Perhaps it is inherent in all M5s but more noticeable by some than others. I mean, how many of us just sit there and rev to 3K rpm? The imbalance might be tuned out by other components in the drivetrain, which may be why it's not noticeable at other times. Or, it may be the motor mounts have failed. I don't recall but maybe someone can tell us if the mounts in our cars are fluid filled. Fluid filled mounts were a common fix for tuning out harmonics like this in 4 cyl. cars. because they inherently are out of balance harmonically. Porsche addressed this in the 944 series cars with balance shafts running at 2x the engine speed and using fluid filled motor mounts. If the mounts failed (leaked their fluid), they would still hold the motor in place but the damping would be gone and you'd start feeling the harmonic vibrations. I'd start with a complete engine fault code readout and a look at the mounts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A common engine vibration on BMW's comes from a broken or missing cooling fan blade. They are plastic and often break one or more blades off and create an engine vibration. A good place to start. Worn idler pulley and tensioner bearings for the drive belts could also make the same vibration.

I don't recall but maybe someone can tell us if the mounts in our cars are fluid filled.
Need4Spd

They are fluid filled engine mounts and will definitely vibrate if they go flat.

Hope that helps
Joe

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
my 00 has a slight vibration at 1200-1400 or so rpm, maybe it's a few hundred lower than that. I notice it a little above idle. I wonder if it has anything to do with the vanos (i.e. normal). board member M Funf has complained of this issue as well. IIRC, his was cured when he replaced his exhaust with an aftermarket system, so perhaps something was touching the body along the way.
Mike
Good memory, Mike...

Todd, I did have a pretty hefty vibration at about 3k RPM. This was after I had installed the SS X-Pipe, Rogue Tranny mounts, but before software and the rest of the exhaust. After installing software (powerchip), it was still there. After installing the exhaust cans, it went away :confused:

I don't know why, but I'm happy it's gone.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bumping an old thread, but I figure it's better than creating a duplicate.

I just noticed this vibration around 2000rpm this evening after cleaning my MAFs. I was smoothly going through from idle to about 3500rpm in the garage (I admit it, I was enjoying the sound), when I noticed exactly what is described in the preceding posts. Kinda caught me off guard and thought I would do a search to see if there were others out there with the same issue. My first thought was motor mounts - I guess I'll add them to my list of parts and report back if it makes any difference. FWIW, I've got an 02 (manufactured 12/01). Recently purchased with 97k miles, and I'm giving it the love it should have had over the last few years.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
dont waste your time and money. the vibration you're feeling is normal, all s62's have this. there are rpm ranges where you feel the natural resonance of the engine while revving at a standstill.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Cool, thanks. The engine mounts will still get an inspection just due to the age of the car. I can cross this worry off the list :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was experiencing the same thing recently and had a friend riding in the vehicle who is a technician. He commented on the vibration and how it felt like the engine need to "catch" at initial throttle tip-in and then it would move. From a stop I always blip the throttle to 1000 to 1200 RPMs and release the clutch and blend the throttle. He noted the vibration immediately and mentioned motor mounts. I was obviously dismissive as the vehicle had just under 60k miles at the time. It will get some remedial maintenance this winter anyway. Plugs, valve cover gaskets and all associated items under the plenum mentioned in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...else-i-should-replace-while-intake-off-3.html.

Hopefully that should help alleviate some low-idle, cold-start rumbling as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
mines is in the garage right now for this exact thing

getting new

Flywheel
clutch
guibo
Centre propshaft bearing
rear crankshaft seal
main diff seal
Thermostat
Gearbox/diff and engine oils

so i will report back with outcome

·
Registered
993 Posts
My car does the same thing. Almost makes you thing somehting is off balance in the flywheel. I always thought it was due to the high miles but I guess not.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
as i said all s62's have this vibration. in fact all bmw v8's have a vibration you can feel revving the engine at a standstill at some rpm range, s62, n62, m62. certain engine configurations just cannot be balanced perfectly and have inherent vibration issues. 4cyl engines being among the worst and a v8 is basically two 4cyl engines stuck together. the smoothest running bmw engines are the 6cyl and the 12cyl.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
as i said all s62's have this vibration. in fact all bmw v8's have a vibration you can feel revving the engine at a standstill at some rpm range, s62, n62, m62. certain engine configurations just cannot be balanced perfectly and have inherent vibration issues. 4cyl engines being among the worst and a v8 is basically two 4cyl engines stuck together. the smoothest running bmw engines are the 6cyl and the 12cyl.
nightkrawler is the resident expert on this vibration. Check out the work he did to try to resolve it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/132848-anyone-solve-3k-vibration.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts