BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2000 model M5 with cloth Interior and I would like to upgrade all the tired exterior lights and interior Nav to look like 2001+ I would like to know on the headlights swap, does all 2001+ headlights and tail lights fit into the year 2000 cars like a plug n play without any modification required?

On the nav, is it a simple swap or requires modification to the trim panel? Would a e46 nav screen fit ? And I am also planning to do coilover and new bushings for the car as well, what bushings would increase the tightness on the car and which brand of coilover is preferred in the m5 community? Your insights are much appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome! Very jealous of the cloth interior. I also have a 2000. As far as I know, as long as you have xenon headlamps already, the headlights are plug and play, but the tail lights require some light modification. I have not updated my exterior so that is just from what I've read here. I do have the wide screen nav from the 2001+ and it and the trim fit perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your comment and compliment.

Welcome! Very jealous of the cloth interior. I also have a 2000. As far as I know, as long as you have xenon headlamps already, the headlights are plug and play, but the tail lights require some light modification. I have not updated my exterior so that is just from what I've read here. I do have the wide screen nav from the 2001+ and it and the trim fit perfectly.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hi kphuah,

Welcome to the forum!

The M Alcantara interior is very rare and there's a proportion of M5 owners who really want it in their cars !

Have a good look over this forum and also over on bimmerforums.com , bimmerfest.com and bmw5.co.uk and pretty much all other good BMW forums as there's many threads with pictures and information about putting in facelift headlamps into a pre-facelift E39. It's the same with the rear light clusters too. There is some changes for the rear, in that I think you may need to nominally cut part of the metal for the newer ones to fit. Many, many owners have done these two changes.

For the OEM navigation, do you have the 4:3 monitor? or do you not have navigation and have the cassette/MID display? If the former, then you can upgrade to the Mk4 DVD based GPS computer, 16:9 monitor/display. You can't fit an E46 monitor as it's a totally different shape. If your car doesn't have Nav from factory, then it's a much more complex job to remove the interior, change to a Navigation loom and buy all the modules, brackets, speakers, antennas etc to retrofit it all. E39 audio is one of my main passions and my focus is on full aftermarket high quality products which are up to date technology wise and for sound quality and performance are massively better than the OEM capabilities. If you only want the OEM modules, then there's a number of upgrades and add on products you can buy to improve the performance and functionality. There's advantages and disadvantages you'll need to know and evaluate if you wish to go this route.

For the suspension, as per above, there's literally thousands of suspension threads and which products you can buy and install to improve ride quality and handling characteristics and at each pricing level. It all depends on what you'd like, how you drive your car, how much you want to change/update and of course, how much you wish to spend. There's custom made products from owner / enthusiasts who often post here and facebook as well as the established brands who make their products. I suggest you look around and begin to shortlist potential choices accordingly.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regarding Exterior lighting:

Front Lamps - will bolt right in and require no SW recoding. Does require wiring turn signal & angel eye connector. See video below:

Rear Lamps - 2 options, either get a plug-n-play kit designed for the pre-facelift cars OR get OEM 01-03 tail lamps, pigtails, and wire them in yourself. If you go the used tail lamp route, you'll also need a newer LCM (3B or v4) and have it coded to your car so that you don't get any errors. You will also need to hammer the tail-lamp bucket area (sheetmetal!) of your car for them to fit properly. Check out this thread & this thread for more information.

Given the extra hassle of retrofitting the OEM tail lamps, I would recommend finding the Hella Plug'n'Play kit. They are can be hard to find, but there's a kit available on eBay HERE (not affiliated).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Dennis / xfr srt8, thank you both for your advise, very much appreciated. The Cloth / Alcantara interior is the main reason why I had purchased the car plus the no accidents and somewhat low km ( 105,900 km ) to me as well. If anything I rather find headlights and taillights with plug n play instead of tampering with the car. My M5 does have xenon headlights and Cassette & NAV, so gauging from your comments that means any 2001+ headlight and stock NAV will fit in without any problem other than the wiring work to the side corners. But I do want to add Bluetooth capability to the OEM Nav if possible, and I will research what option is available.

For the coilover, my local shop suggested me to look at BC Racing, I was told it is in par with KW and Bilstein but much more economical, I have never used that but have been KW V2 and V3 and PSS10 on my other and P cars, I wonder have any one used BC Racing on the M5 and how do you like them?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Sounds like a headlight upgrade and updating the radio/nav components will fit your needs. Dennis will have better info on the radio stuff, but I think if you find the latest version radio module, DVD nav computer and any e39 16:9 nav head unit, you will be set. There is factory bluetooth I think with those latest versions, but again, there could be better solutions since you need to buy components already.

The tail lights are not 100% plug and play as mentioned, so probably best to skip those.

I don't have personal experience with the BC coilovers but I've read of a good number of members running them on M5's without serious complaint (or any complaint?). Another option to consider is the "Dinan setup". It's Koni yellow shocks (available from any vendor) and Dinan lowering springs. They give the car a nice ride height and comfort is still pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts