BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wroom:i have a 2000 m5 i have been getting 21.5 mpg driving from port saint lucie to sunrise blvd fort lauderdale i used less than a quarter tank with a full tank of gas

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Cool?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I used to live near Fort Lauderdale. Margate to be precise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So.... Are you going to give us some more info on the twin turbo part? Or was that just a tease? Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
481 Posts
sweet...

how soon to be twin turbo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no its not a tease i am a technician for 20 years my specialty is forced induction and nitrous been doing that for years in jap cars did two bmw m3 turbo e36,but my loved is always bmw now that finally purchase my second m5 first one is a 1991 sterling silver and a 2000 le mans blue with blue and black interior i am new to the m5board will be posting pictures soon.i just open a little performance shop 7th av between sunrise blvd and broward blvd fort lauderdale florida area i started workind on the turbo set up wont be xpensive like most shop once i got my car perfect with no problem then i can start other project. i dont want to say how i am going to do it yet cause i am the underdog dont want somebody with more money than me steel my ideas cause it happens before anyway i will be postind pictures as the work progress before i forget i am also doing my friend 2007 m5 v10 twin turbo that will be done after mine.i will keep in touch remember IF YOU NOT BLOWING YOU NOT GOING.later

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how i got 21.5 mpg do not rev car pass 3000 rpm always cruise unless somebody is messing with you thats how i got 21.5 mpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry about the punctuation very busy dont have time to worry about that.anyway the project will be completed by april,that will be on the stock engine i am also building another engine with alot of good stuff.dont know the power figure yet,was thinking with the stock engine bigger injectors,water alcohol injection,software or piggyback computer,low boost around 470hp,high boost 500hp+ to the wheel.with a built engine only god knows dont want to say any big number yet.[email protected] [email protected]

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
no its not a tease i am a technician for 20 years my specialty is forced induction and nitrous been doing that for years in jap cars did two bmw m3 turbo e36,but my loved is always bmw now that finally purchase my second m5 first one is a 1991 sterling silver and a 2000 le mans blue with blue and black interior i am new to the m5board will be posting pictures soon.i just open a little performance shop 7th av between sunrise blvd and broward blvd fort lauderdale florida area i started workind on the turbo set up wont be xpensive like most shop once i got my car perfect with no problem then i can start other project. i dont want to say how i am going to do it yet cause i am the underdog dont want somebody with more money than me steel my ideas cause it happens before anyway i will be postind pictures as the work progress before i forget i am also doing my friend 2007 m5 v10 twin turbo that will be done after mine.i will keep in touch remember IF YOU NOT BLOWING YOU NOT GOING.later
I am local (almost), let me know if I can help. All my other high end cars have been forced induction before this one and I miss the surge. I am working on my other German car, now pulling 23 psi on a stockish 5 cyl motor!:eek:h:

21 mpg on the highway? I can get 25 plus mpg on the higway with the M5, but I "cheat" :blink:(check my sig).:cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: king m5

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
Just to let you know twin turbo is going to be very tough. Not only this MSS52 computer one of the more difficult ones to get into let alone reprogram, but there is very limited room in the engine bay.
I hope you know someone who has expereince with Siemens ECM's or you can figure out how to reverse engineer someone elses work if you can get your hands on something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am getting involved with the project cause i already did my homework and i have some english guy to back me up with what ever i need that is why i am doing it in my car first.i have been turbocharging cars for 15 years now i think i know what i am doing

·
Registered
2013 F10 M5
532 Posts
I didn't say you didn't know what you are doing. I am simplying saying that amoung the cars out there, this will be one of the toughest to do so.

My comment may sound cautious/skeptical because I've researched in depth trying to get into the MSS52 ECM and anyone who knows anything isn't willing to reveal anything. Furthermore there are only two programs available that can open the programming of the ECM and both are near $15k (WinOLS is one but you need the full version to get anything of use).

I'm not doubting you have the knowledge or the ability to take on and complete such a project. I'm just trying to give you a heads up that it's going to be a "beast" of a project, pun intended.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
sorry to sound this way i have some people from england to help me with the computer part of the project..
Would this happen to be in the February timeframe.... :3:

;)

Dave

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
I didn't say you didn't know what you are doing. I am simplying saying that amoung the cars out there, this will be one of the toughest to do so.

My comment may sound cautious/skeptical because I've researched in depth trying to get into the MSS52 ECM and anyone who knows anything isn't willing to reveal anything. Furthermore there are only two programs available that can open the programming of the ECM and both are near $15k (WinOLS is one but you need the full version to get anything of use).

I'm not doubting you have the knowledge or the ability to take on and complete such a project. I'm just trying to give you a heads up that it's going to be a "beast" of a project, pun intended.
I am no expert, but the computer side of the equation has been done for forced induction (supercharging) on the S62 motor. While turbocharging has some different characteristics (immediate SC spool up vs. turbo lag for example), I wouldn't think the differences are so big that the computer program for SC wouldn't be a good base line. My point is that getting into the computer for forced induction has been done.

Packaging will certainly be trickier. Turbos like being near the EM and the closer the better to curb dreaded lag. Heat is also an issue, but I suspect not as big of one as fitting the turbos. Option of two small turbos on a V8 gives a little more flexibility. But it will still be interesting.

Hey, don't discourage the guy, let's hope he can make it happen!:cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts