BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Small update. Stock stereo in the car was frankly very average, but it was made even worse by non working tweeters. Since I wanted to keep things original, and was not really interested in installing an aftermarket system (and not being able to really tell the difference), I decided to go an easy route and just replace blown tweeters to start.

Door panels pulled off, then tweeter cover, then foam piece that dry-rotted and literally fell apart at the touch:

Untitled by Alex Kustov, on Flickr

Sure enough, the tweeters were dead. Surprised these were 8 Ohm units.

The replacement was sourced from Amazon, a Niobium Dome tweeters of unknown brand for a whopping $12 shipped. I have used them in my M3 build, and these are surprisingly good little tweeters, even though maybe a bit too bright:

Dakar M3 by Alex Kustov, on Flickr

In order to make this swap easier, I cut off the wire from the stock tweeter, and soldered it to Amazon tweeter:

The problem was that factory tweeter had a bracket that would help mount it to the door, but my replacement tweeter didn't. I thought about mounting it with double sided tape, but it would not hold properly cause the location where the tweeter needed to be mounted was not exactly flat. So....I decided to use....Velcros. And replace the foam with some new piece as well:

And it worked perfectly:

New foam piece:

Repeat for the other door:

And I was back in business! My highs were bright and crisp again. Turned out, the stereo is not that bad when you have all your speakers working right!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like it. This just made me realize that I have never checked to my tweeters. Guess what I'm doing after work today?

By the way, could you not modify the plastic bracket a bit to fit the new tweeters? Or are they too big?

The way they designed that bracket and how one of the mirror screws holds it in is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
The tweeters I got are 1-inch in diameter, stock ones close to 3/4 inch, so brakets are too small. And honestly, there is no easy way to fit those in even if they were the same size. From the outside you can’t tell the difference anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great intro and thread! And I love that car; so much so that I actually ordered that car with the EXACT same colors/options back in 2000. Sold the car, bought it back and drove it to about 100k miles. By random luck, I found another identical car 3 years ago this month with only 15,000 miles; so, flew up to Ohio the day after Christmas and drove it home to Fort Worth. It just hit 21,000 miles. I went on the M5 board this morning to research stereo options (my NAV screen started flickering yesterday and the radio is going on and off) and ran across your thread. We'll have to try to get together at some point since we're in the same town. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Great intro and thread! And I love that car; so much so that I actually ordered that car with the EXACT same colors/options back in 2000. Sold the car, bought it back and drove it to about 100k miles. By random luck, I found another identical car 3 years ago this month with only 15,000 miles; so, flew up to Ohio the day after Christmas and drove it home to Fort Worth. It just hit 21,000 miles. I went on the M5 board this morning to research stereo options (my NAV screen started flickering yesterday and the radio is going on and off) and ran across your thread. We'll have to try to get together at some point since we're in the same town. Cheers!
Absolutely! Would be awesome. Maybe do a little photo shoot of two Imolas together!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm relatively new to the whole M5 game, but your journey is similar to the one I both need and want to take. You're exceptional at documenting everything and I appreciate the depth you go to in every task you take on. I'll be following this and anxious for updates.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thanks guys.
And Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
It has been a while since I have updated the thread, as there was really not much going on with the M5. I have been just enjoying it as is, while my entire car budget went into fixing the darn SMG box on my M6. But that is finally over, picked the car yesterday and it is finally fixed and driving wonderfully. So, I plan on researching suspension refresh/upgrade options, and once I free up some $$ in the next few weeks, I will tackle that.

For now, not much new, but I have finished collecting all the tools for the toolkit. I'm still missing correct warning triangle, but honestly, I sort of gave up on that. I have purchased 4 different triangles (all part numbers that supposed to fit), and none of them fit the slot in the tool tray. So to hell with it. I just got this one with individual blue storage case, and I think it will suffice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very nice, subscribed!

It has been a while since I have updated the thread, as there was really not much going on with the M5. I have been just enjoying it as is, while my entire car budget went into fixing the darn SMG box on my M6. But that is finally over, picked the car yesterday and it is finally fixed and driving wonderfully. So, I plan on researching suspension refresh/upgrade options, and once I free up some $$ in the next few weeks, I will tackle that.

For now, not much new, but I have finished collecting all the tools for the toolkit. I'm still missing correct warning triangle, but honestly, I sort of gave up on that. I have purchased 4 different triangles (all part numbers that supposed to fit), and none of them fit the slot in the tool tray. So to hell with it. I just got this one with individual blue storage case, and I think it will suffice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looking good! I can relate to your search finding the right triangles for the toolkit. I have had similar experiences with other bemers / parts. Did you locate the correct part number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
No I have not found the one that would work. I have the part numbers that supposed to fit, and bought 4 different triangles but none actually did fit in the tray. The problem here is really two-fold: Maybe I have the wrong tray, or the part numbers I have are wrong. So at this point I simply said screw it, and that's the end of this story.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm really enjoying people's restoration threads. OP can you give me the part numbers for the firewall pieces? Looking to replace them all after I literally poked mine yesterday and it crumbled to dust.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I'm really enjoying people's restoration threads. OP can you give me the part numbers for the firewall pieces? Looking to replace them all after I literally poked mine yesterday and it crumbled to dust.
Here you go:
Left: 51 71 2 694 217
Right: 51 71 2 694 218

Got both for under a $100 shipped from ECS. Looks like they have them in stock too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Great I ordered the right parts. I ordered mine through the dealer since it was the same price and only took 2 days to receive.
Awesome!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Long tie no update... I know, no time to work on cars. Anyway, finally installed a lift, thought I'd share that - I just gained a parking space, maybe I will get another car? Tempting, tempting....

So, went with Atlas 8000 4-post unit. Cheap, sturdy-looking and nicely optioned...came with caster set, 4 drip pans, jack tray, steel approach ramps. Good value IMO. The dudes installed it in 2 hours flat. Super happy so far.

Lift Install by Alex Kustov, on Flickr

Dakar sighting:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hot damn, you have no idea how jealous I am! That looks fantastic. Going with a 4-post setup lets you open the doors too, which is nice.

Is it running off of a standard 110V outlet?

I doubt I'll ever have that much height available but even something like a QuickJack would make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Thanks! Yeah, standard 110v. Pretty awesome setup.
Very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Long tie no update... I know, no time to work on cars. Anyway, finally installed a lift, thought I'd share that - I just gained a parking space, maybe I will get another car? Tempting, tempting....

So, went with Atlas 8000 4-post unit. Cheap, sturdy-looking and nicely optioned...came with caster set, 4 drip pans, jack tray, steel approach ramps. Good value IMO. The dudes installed it in 2 hours flat. Super happy so far.

What’s the height of you garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 229 Posts