BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Plausible, I guess. I honestly surprised that it runs about the same after plugs swap. Idles definitely smoother, but overall, not a noticeable change. You would think with plugs that look like that....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Plausible, I guess. I honestly surprised that it runs about the same after plugs swap. Idles definitely smoother, but overall, not a noticeable change. You would think with plugs that look like that....
Mine were original too after ~108k miles and I experienced the same thing: smoother idle but that's about it. It may pull a little harder but that could be just my wishful thinking.

Maybe a tad bit better gas mileage.

·
Registered
505 Posts
So I did change spark plugs yesterday. The process is pretty straightforward, but you probably need to take the cabin filter assemblies off for easier access. Stupid gaskets on those covers could have been designed a bit better, what a pain to put these back on.

Bremis were in good shape on both banks, though one in each was not original. As long as they work, right?

Now, to the spark plugs themselves. Man, I was absolutely SHOCKED when I pulled the first one out. The plugs are obviously ORIGINAL, 111,700 Miles on these. Electrodes are pretty much gone on all, surprised these were still working. Most plugs needed a bit of breaking to start turning – but were coming out smoothly after that – except one plug (Cy. 3) which game me a scare about stripped thread, but all was ok in the end. New plug went in just fine and torqued to spec.

The question to the board is the following – what can you read/tell about the health of the engine looking at these? I obviously see some dry fouling because of the electrode completely eroded, but why the heck are these pretty much corroded all the way through?

None of the plugs were wet when came out, no oil outside, but rust on the outside has me puzzled. Maybe this is just deposits? Not sure. Anyone more experienced, please chime in.

Thanks!

I think the deposits on old plugs is dried oil that leaked through valve cover gaskets. Imagine that job's on your list. New plug pictured doesn't look like the NGK 3199 I'm familiar with though. Where did you source those from? Very nice work on your car by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Awesome thread!
Thanks!

I think the deposits on old plugs is dried oil that leaked through valve cover gaskets. Imagine that job's on your list. New plug pictured doesn't look like the NGK 3199 I'm familiar with though. Where did you source those from? Very nice work on your car by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3199 plugs you referring to are double platinum 4-prong NGK BKR6E QUP. The plugs that I used are 7092 NGK BKR6E GP, which are 1-prong platinum tip plugs. They are essentially the same plug, but I prefer 1-prong plugs. Aside from the fact that they are much cheaper, they can be gaped if needed, and honestly, last about the same as the 4-prong double plats anyway. Bought at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Quick update – was struggling without garage opener – so I bought one off eBay. Went with a original homelink from 2000 E38. Decided to pick the earlier version due to rubberized buttons that do not peel off:

Untitled by Alex Kustov, on Flickr

All E39 M5s are pre-wired for homelink, so its really plug and play. Pulled the panel off, unplugged the sunroof switch:

The panel in my obviously does not have a cutout for the opener, so I had to measure and cut one – it sort of have the spot marked inbetween the ribs:

I peeled alcantara before cutting the hole, then **** it with box cutter and glued back to the panel once done:

Look from the back -fits well:

Alcantara was cleaned up and and glued back at the edges. Looks good!

Installed and programmed – done!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Can somebody post a part number for the warning triangle that actually fits in the tool kit insert in the trunk? I'm buying second triangle that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Can somebody post a part number for the warning triangle that actually fits in the tool kit insert in the trunk? I'm buying second triangle that doesn't fit.
I thought I had found the correct 1 at first, but like you, I found that it wouldn’t fit. Yours being a ‘00, it’s important to note whether your production date is before or after 05/00. The link below will show the differences and what PN you need to look for. I recently located a cased 1 in the UK but haven’t received it yet.

BMW E39 Warning Triangle

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I thought I had found the correct 1 at first, but like you, I found that it wouldn’t fit. Yours being a ‘00, it’s important to note whether your production date is before or after 05/00. The link below will show the differences and what PN you need to look for. I recently located a cased 1 in the UK but haven’t received it yet.

BMW E39 Warning Triangle
Yeah, that is what I used to pick up mine, and it doesn't fit. Not sure if there some part number mixups. Thanks though. Will post an update soon! Was real busy with finishing up M3.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Finally had some time to replace windshield washer pump. Jacked it up, wheel off,

started taking the liner off….bah, this thing is made of sugar or something? I guess 16 years of Texas heat didn’t do it any favors – literally falling apart.

I immediately ordered a new one – I wasn’t even sure I could install this one back on!
Old original pump – dead:

New pump, just picked some generic washer pump:

it didn’t came with correct grommet or strainer, so had to clean and re-use old ones (the one that came with the pump is shorter one):

Took the old one out, plugged the tank, hooked new pump, put it in – real straightforward, even though a bit messy:

I had put some aluminum tape over the cracks in the liner to be able to re-install it until new liner shows up:

Also replaced the strained in the tank itself, and replaced wiper blades.

Didn’t have the time to take the bumper off to remove the jammer thing. I guess will get to it when I will be replacing fender liners….

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Got a P0128 code and a SES light on my way home today. It was colder than usual, so I figured its a thermostat or a sensor?
Will get KTMP readings tomorrow on a cold start (supposed to be really chilly overnight), and go from there. Probably should replace sensor and thermostat anyway, but really don't want to mess with this right now...

Anyone has part numbers for the seal o-rings and crush washers handy?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Parts ordered, arriving Wednesday, I guess it is t/s time this weekend (hate anything related to cooling).

Meanwhile, I was chasing a rattle in the rear, and in the process decided to pull rear door panels as I thought it was a clip or two maybe missing. I have not found anything suspicious, aside from couple of loose screws (ha!), but one thing piqued my attention - my rear door airbag is disconnected.

???

Is this supposed to be this way? No light on the board, and I also have a sticker on the door (looks like BMW sticker) that says read airbag de-activated. WTF?

Would it work fine if I plug it back in? Or do I have to program this? I mean, if the airbag is there, why would someone de-activate it?

Also fixed rattling side shade by sticking some felt on the inside - quiet now:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah that doesn't make any sense. If I remember right some of the MY 2002 didn't have rear airbags as standard equipment but yours definitely should've had it. Is it just disconnected on both sides?

I wonder if you could provide your VIN to the dealer and see if there's any documentation about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it was an option on some years to have the rear bags disabled for child passenger safety. Not sure if they are actually physically disconnected from the factory though. Either way, you'll probably have to get them coded back in if you want to enable them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had read about it in the past but after a quick search couldn’t find it.

The airbags do have to be coded to the car.

My MY00 looks just as yours does.

I thought this was the way the MY00 came from what I read in the past but couldn’t find where I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had read about it in the past but after a quick search couldn’t find it.

The airbags do have to be coded to the car.

My MY00 looks just as yours does.

I thought this was the way the MY00 came from what I read in the past but couldn’t find where I read it.
Sounds like that’s correct mac, MY ‘00 came with the rears deactivated. There’s a good summary of MY airbag specs by CSBM5 here-
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/113581-quick-question-about-rear-door-rear-head-protection-airbags-please-confirm-2.html#post1265061

These threads confirm the need to code if you want to activate them.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/331249-so-how-rear-airbags-disabled-these-cars.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/152360-passenger-airbag-02-m5-can-i-switch-off-kids.html

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thank guys, makes sense. not sure what I'd do at this point. Do't really need the airbags there I guess.
Btw, here is the pic of the sticker, definitely looks like a factory/dealer job:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am coming in late here, just joined the forum. Great looking Zinno and enjoying reading the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank guys, makes sense. not sure what I'd do at this point. Do't really need the airbags there I guess.
Btw, here is the pic of the sticker, definitely looks like a factory/dealer job:

Yup, it was definitely done by a dealer. Disconnecting the airbags and then coding them out was how it was done back in the day. I have the same sticker and disconnected airbags on my MY 2000 car as well.

81 - 100 of 244 Posts