BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Great thread and nice work! Car is looking beautiful!

Lots and lots of opinions about suspension on here. Koni/Stock springs, Koni/Dinan Springs, and Bilstein B8/Intrax Springs are popular combos for street cars. Avoid the B8 with stock springs as the rear spring height is problematic.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks. Are Intrax springs shorter? What is the source for these?
I was going with H&R springs for b8 cause that's the combo I have on my M Coupe, but not even sure HR make springs for E39.

·
Registered
540 Posts

I was going with H&R springs for b8 cause that's the combo I have on my M Coupe, but not even sure HR make springs for E39.

Intrax/B8 combo starts on page 1 of the link I posted on suspension. I haven’t personally used though so won’t comment directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I believe H&R offers a front set only - you re-use the stock rears. Intrax are shorter overall, so they fit properly with the B8.

Intrax is a Dutch company that unfortunately doesn't have a US-based distributor (or at least they didn't last time I checked). However, they are available via Mark @ Evolve. You can PM him here and he'll set you up. It was an easy transaction and the fact that the springs shipped from the UK was transparent to me. I ordered, I paid, and they arrived on my door step - much the same as if I'd ordered springs from Dinan.

I'm a big fan of the B8/Intrax combo as thats what I have. That said, there are plenty of happy Koni/Dinan (and Koni/stock) customers, so don't eliminate them. I think generally speaking, the Koni ride a little softer on the street, but the Bilstein monotubes have arguably better damping characteristics. Like most things, it's a give and take.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions. Will definitely look into all options when its time to refresh the suspension.
Unfortunately got bad news yesterday - looks like my SMG M6 need a new clutch, CRB and flywheel, which amounts pretty much to a $3500 bill on average, so suspension upgrade will have to wait.

Another question - when I was installing porkchops I noticed that there was some device literally bolted to the front mesh grille under the bumper, and while obviously not a factory placement and a bit of a hack job, I was wondering what in hte world is this and what is the proper location for this?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Flux capacitor?

Is that a fluid or electrical connection? I don't see a return line so guess it's electrical. Seems like it was placed there to get airflow to cool it down but I have no idea.

Removing the front bumper is pretty easy, just need another set of hands.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Radar detector receiver?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The stamp says "this side must be facing forward when installed". Assuming some aftermarket sensor for something, but no idea what.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, it's most likely a laser shifter/jammer. If you search for images, you'll see a lot that are installed in similar locations.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Interesting. I need to research this, as I don't see anything inside that indicates the car has a jammer or any connections where I would plug anything.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Interesting. I need to research this, as I don't see anything inside that indicates the car has a jammer or any connections where I would plug anything.
Just follow the path of the wire and see where it ends up under the dash of the M5. My X5 4.6is had some similar aftermarket junk like this and I had to follow the lines and eliminate them from the wire harness.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just follow the path of the wire and see where it ends up under the dash of the M5. My X5 4.6is had some similar aftermarket junk like this and I had to follow the lines and eliminate them from the wire harness.
Yeah, follow the line. If it is a jammer, they're illegal in TX(and many other States). Apparently it's common to install a kill switch so that after you quickly slow down, you kill it, so the officer can read you and not suspect you're jamming.

Edit:kiznarsh- ha, not suggesting he fear the legality, just saying it may be why he can't find anything in the cabin. Kill switch SOP.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah, follow the line. If it is a jammer, they're illegal in TX(and many other States). Apparently it's common to install a kill switch so that after you quickly slow down, you kill it, so the officer can read you and not suspect you're jamming.
Plus like the rest of us outstanding citizens, TexaZ3 follows all posted speed limits at all times. No need for a jammer.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Plus like the rest of us outstanding citizens, TexaZ3 follows all posted speed limits at all times. No need for a jammer.
But of course.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
With interior pretty much finished, I switched my attention to the exterior. Paint was in great condition overall, but there were few scratches, chips, scrapes, and other small imperfections. Hood and front bumper were repainted 8 years ago (they did a good job, but they did it with material that were available 8 years ago), and both needed a good paint correction.

I will not show the entire process of taping the car and going through multiple steps to prep the paint for correction, as it is a rather time consuming process, and leaves little time for taking pictures. I have taped parts that I didn’t want compounds to get into with good quality painters masking tape (bad tape leaves adhesive residue):

I have done detailing on many cars and lately been using Chemical Guys polishing compounds and pads with great results.

Used my TORQ orbital and orange cutting pads with #32 compound first, followed by #36 and black pad, and then #38/white pad. Sealed with Zaino wax. Will take picture of the whole car when weather is nice (raining now!)

Once paint correction has been done I decided to see if I could bring polish headlight covers a bit – they were not bad by any stretch, just needing a good cleanup and polish.

Masked off the headlights

Chemical guys plastic polishing compound followed by #38 on orange pad

And they are looking better. Not like new, but good enough for the 17-year old original headlights.

Still waiting on few parts to arrive to do some under-the-hood work!

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Fantastic attention to detail! Your mention of Zaino took me back to 2005 when I posted a thread on the first time I used Zaino on my M5: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/60015-zaino-d.html

Good memories! I still remember how amazed I was at the time of the reflective properties and durability of Zaino. Of course now, high quality synthetic sealants are in abundance. I still use Zaino for the M5 and Z4M coupe as I don't want to change after years of use, but I'm trying Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) on the M3. It's certainly an easier process than the first application of Zaino and seems to be durable. I still have a soft spot for Zaino, however.:)

P.S. For our SUV and our children's' cars, I use Zaino All-In-One.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, it's most likely a laser shifter/jammer. If you search for images, you'll see a lot that are installed in similar locations.
+1

It's looks like a K40 laser receiver. I have same one on my car. If so there should be another small longer boxy thing there (laser shifter)
If not - then maybe system was dismounted but receiver was left behind

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for the confirmation! I will at some point remove front bumper and get rid of this thing, unless there is a way to remove the front mesh without taking bumper off? I don't want to mess with aligning the porkchops again.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation! I will at some point remove front bumper and get rid of this thing, unless there is a way to remove the front mesh without taking bumper off? I don't want to mess with aligning the porkchops again.
You can only access the mesh clips from the back so yeah, bumper does need to come off.

41 - 60 of 244 Posts