BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
A bit of a PDR magic this morning.
So, some lowlife decided to make a dent in my front fender, and it wasn't looking pretty:

So, with a heavy heart, I went to my PDR guy, hoping he wouldn't tell me it needs to go to the body shop. To my delight, he said he can pop this one out, and today I took it in. Waiting for the patient to be seen by the dent doctor:

Hard at work:

About an hour with the tools, and the fender was like new. These guys are truly magicians with the metal!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #244

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wowwwww I never in a billion years would have expected that to get fixed by PDR! Simply amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Wowwwww I never in a billion years would have expected that to get fixed by PDR! Simply amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guy said that as long as the paint is not damaged, pretty much anything can be pulled out. In some instances it just becomes a matter of what is more cost effective. Sometimes replacing or repainting a panel is easier and cheaper than spending hours upon hours trying to pull the dent properly. Obviously, works better for more expensive or unique historic vehicles.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Over time, all black plastic pieces exposed to sun and hot weather become dull, hazy, and covered with white-ish residue that just won't go away. Lifetime Texas car, my Imola bumper moldings were feeling it.

IMG_8494 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

IMG_8486 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Products designed to eliminate this type of problem, like Back-to-black do work some, but it was never really to my liking - the black was always a bit more shiny than I wanted it to be. Top - non treated, bottom - treated with B2B:

IMG_8899 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

So I finally bit the bullet, bought some new moldings (its actually surprisingly not that expensive), ripped the old ones out and cleaned all on the inside:

IMG_8900 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

IMG_8922 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Nice and minty fresh rears:

IMG_8924 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Installed:

IMG_8925 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

IMG_8926 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Fronts:

IMG_8923 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Installed:

IMG_8927 10.13.16 PM by Italian Horses, on Flickr

The car looks like it is 10 years younger. What a difference something as simple as some moldings make! The moldings are cheap, less than $150 shipped for all 4. Highly recommended.

BMW part #s:
Front Left - 51112494193
Front Right - 51112494194
Rear Left - 51122498733
Rear Right - 51122498734

·
Registered
840 Posts
Your car looks so proper! I have used "forever black" and that stuff was actually like a "plastic paint" that had a foam tip and you'd depress the tip like a marker and black fluid would come out for you to "repaint" your mouldings. Just don't get any on the paint of the car, which is virtually impossible with the mouldings ON the car. It sucked.

Much better option here!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
So fresh looking.
Yup, its amazing how it changes the feel of the car - such a small detail, but does wonders to overall look. Thanks!

Your car looks so proper! I have used "forever black" and that stuff was actually like a "plastic paint" that had a foam tip and you'd depress the tip like a marker and black fluid would come out for you to "repaint" your mouldings. Just don't get any on the paint of the car, which is virtually impossible with the mouldings ON the car. It sucked.

Much better option here!
Thanks!
I did back-to-black or something on my E36 M3 trim and it worked great, but I have a feeling these were far too gone, as it didn't work as well. I finally decided to look how much new mouldings were, and they were surprisingly not too expensive, so I just bought new.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Wow that is a good price especially for plastic parts. Looks great. Source????
ECS - fronts are like $25 a piece, rears are $39 each.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts