BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Excellent work! That car is set for another 100k miles.

I'm guessing you haven't driven it enough to get driving impressions but I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Excellent work! That car is set for another 100k miles.

I'm guessing you haven't driven it enough to get driving impressions but I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
I have driven it to an alignment, and about 100 miles after alignment to let suspension settle before additional adjustment.

Everything feels super tight! Due to slight lowering, steering got a bit heavier at lower speeds, not sure if I like it yet, as I felt it was close to perfect before.
I still probably need to play with dampening settings a bit, as all I knew was stock, and as of right now, I feel too stiff in the back (even at 7) and not enough up front (at 15).
Will probably adjust to 20 front and 5 rear and see how that feels.

One thing that it made me realize that I have some rattles in my interior now that my suspension is quiet! :)

Awesome work! Imola is sitting beautifully.
Thank you - of all people you know how tiresome suspension work can be!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Indeed, though as long as it's rust free underneath like yours. I finished suspension overhaul on the E38 awhile ago and everything was coming out smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Love what you have done with the car. Picked up a carbon black 03 myself back in September. Working on the interior right now and want to ask you about the Fiebing’s dye. How has it held up since you applied it 2 years ago? Did any of it wear off on to any clothing? My rear headrest are nice and soft. But badly need to be recolored and I liked what you did to your seats with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Love what you have done with the car. Picked up a carbon black 03 myself back in September. Working on the interior right now and want to ask you about the Fiebing’s dye. How has it held up since you applied it 2 years ago? Did any of it wear off on to any clothing? My rear headrest are nice and soft. But badly need to be recolored and I liked what you did to your seats with it.

It held up fine, but if I were to do it again, I'd go with color matched dye. Unless you are doing the entire seat, or just toning something down like I did, chances it won't match to your existing color.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It held up fine, but if I were to do it again, I'd go with color matched dye. Unless you are doing the entire seat, or just toning something down like I did, chances it won't match to your existing color.
Giving a thorough look over things in my car, I'll probably re-dye the entire interior. But that'll wait until spring.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Giving a thorough look over things in my car, I'll probably re-dye the entire interior. But that'll wait until spring.

Then definitely get proper-matching automotive leather dye.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Then definitely get proper-matching automotive leather dye.
No doubt. I already cut off a small piece from under the drivers bottom seat cover when I replaced the foam. Will probably send it off to leatherique when the time comes unless I find a better dye kit.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
No doubt. I already cut off a small piece from under the drivers bottom seat cover when I replaced the foam. Will probably send it off to leatherique when the time comes unless I find a better dye kit.

I had excellent color matches from these guys. Their product is pretty good.
[/URL]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
All right folks, finally had the time to go through the photos and compile what I think will be the last update for my suspension replacement ordeal.

During disassembly, I realized that there is no way I could re-use rear fender liners – they literally crumbled from age and 20 years of Texas heat. Nearly all mounting points were broken off.

Obviously, I didn’t want to install these back into the car after spending so much time and $$ to upgrade the suspension. So, while working on the car, I have ordered a pair of new fender liners and they showed up right when I needed them:

Next, I decided to clean the wheel arches and everything under the car before installing these. As some might remember I had a slow power steering leak and front left wheel arch was pretty dirty:

So, with the help of a power washer and some simple green, I had cleaned up most of the grime and residue. Some before and after pictures below.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Now the wheel arch was looking like it was supposed to be:

Same was done to the other side.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
While I was there power washing, did the bottom of the engine as well before installing belly pans:

With the front done, moved on to the back – same process, but I did wash everything under the car before installing the new fender liners. Driver side before:

After:

And then I installed new liners:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Passenger side before:

After:

Got it all nice and clean:

And then the last fender liner is in:

So after a long time, the suspension was finally done. Next stop was alignment. The suspension was adjusted one more time to achieve the perfect ¾ inch rake and the car was corner balanced:

And at the mark of 116,369 I was ready to roll:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Next day the car was washed, and I took a few pictures with the newly set ride height. I think it looks great and I’m unlikely to go any lower. This is about half an inch lower than stock.

·
Registered
745 Posts
F man your car is so MINTY fresh now! I seem to be following you with your progress here somewhat, I have all new front control arms from lemforder, have the OE center link, tie rods and pitman arm from FCP due to the recall, and have sway bar end links and bushings, I am not replacing the struts at this time, or touching the rear of the car, but about a year ago, I went to a CCA undercarriage inspection event and they showed me that my pitman arm ball joint was getting loose. Now the control arm bushings are giving me play so I'm swapping all of it for LIFETIME FCP. Will definitely reference your pics here as a guide for some help, so thanks for doing that, your car looks GREAT!!

how badly was the alignment off even though you tried to measure everything up? Also, did you do the re-torquing when the car was sitting pretty for that alignment up on the lift? Perfect time to do that!

I know the TIS says to level the car, and add weight to each seat, but if I am the only one in my car, 95% of the time, with no weight in the trunk, wouldn't it be optimal for me to either weight the drivers seat down, or sit in my own car while my friend torques the bushings down? That way it will replicate the way my car sits 95% of the time? Or will that throw off it's amazing balance?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Thanks!

The alignment was off quite a bit, I mean - it was fine driving to the alignment place couple of miles away, but I wouldn't take it on a highway, if just to save tires - it was off.

I did ask the guy doing the alignment to re-torque everything, and they did corner balance it with just the driver weight in the car. Honestly, I wouldn't sweat this torquing under load thing too much, as long as it is "close" to your working ride height, you should be fine. With adjustable suspension, its becomes more of a moot point since once you change the ride height, all of that basically need to be re-torqued, and nobody obviously does that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
F man your car is so MINTY fresh now! I seem to be following you with your progress here somewhat, I have all new front control arms from lemforder, have the OE center link, tie rods and pitman arm from FCP due to the recall, and have sway bar end links and bushings, I am not replacing the struts at this time, or touching the rear of the car, but about a year ago, I went to a CCA undercarriage inspection event and they showed me that my pitman arm ball joint was getting loose. Now the control arm bushings are giving me play so I'm swapping all of it for LIFETIME FCP. Will definitely reference your pics here as a guide for some help, so thanks for doing that, your car looks GREAT!!

how badly was the alignment off even though you tried to measure everything up? Also, did you do the re-torquing when the car was sitting pretty for that alignment up on the lift? Perfect time to do that!

I know the TIS says to level the car, and add weight to each seat, but if I am the only one in my car, 95% of the time, with no weight in the trunk, wouldn't it be optimal for me to either weight the drivers seat down, or sit in my own car while my friend torques the bushings down? That way it will replicate the way my car sits 95% of the time? Or will that throw off it's amazing balance?
Btw, coming back to your alignment question. So, I drove the car all week last week, and at the end something started to feel a bit off. So I took it to the people that did the alignment (awesome guys at Texas Track Works) and they re-checked it - it was off again, even though they said none of the fasteners moved - it was the suspension "settling". He said this is totally normal, and it usually takes two alignments to get things aligned correctly after such an extensive parts swap. Something to keep in mind as you working through this.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts