·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
95 Posts
Could I have the vin of both cars so I could look at some wiring diagrams

·
Registered
214 Posts
True but here we have been adding a "K" to the crank sensor for some time. Generally when referring to the crank we type CKPS just so people understand.
Ah, all makes sense now, thanks Sailor! I was thinking camshafts the whole time, for which crank position would be useless since they run at 2x crank speed. I had also assumed crank position was read from a toothed wheel at the front behind the crank pulley, like on a whole bunch of other BMWs I'm familiar with, without realizing in the E39 they moved this 'back' to the flywheel side. So thanks all for the clarification, less dumb now than I was earlier today! :D

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
They need many readings to help with misfire detection and maybe some fine adjustment of the vanos. Whether they do fine tune the opening of the intake valve via the misfire detection is still unclear. There was talk of it in the early preproduction cars.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
95 Posts
M5 BZ95650

540i GM61135
I haven’t looked at the wiring diagrams but I’m pretty sure that you having issues because the car was automatic some wiring need to needs to be fixed on that end for it to work. I know that the ews looks at the P.R.N.D switch for input if the car is not in park it won’t enable the starter. You could try to plug in the egs (transmission module)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am able to get the car to turn over. The starter engages when I use the 540i EWS and the 540i DME. It tries to start when I have the 540I EWS, and M5 DME installed together.

I have wired the clutch switch to the DME, and the cruise control cutout switch to the EWS. I have wired the reverse lights to the cluster, (I am using the M5 cluster).
I also ran another wire to the DME for the backup lights. Everything comes on, works, but car won't start. Going to see if I can have DME reset.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
95 Posts
Best thing to do would probably get the dme flashed for no ews

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
95 Posts
I work on car for a living and ran into several ews issue and I know it looks at the prndl switch for an input if it’s not in park or if the switch is bad that car will not crank or start. Also if the transmission control module is dead no communication there will also be a start issue. That’s not the only input it looks at looks at several. If you program for no ews that would be your best bet and go from there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
cphes,
Thank you for that. I actually used that for the wiring. I forgot about the coding part of it until I was talking with the other members. I'm looking for a shop locally to flash the DME.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I finally received the BMW Inpa k+dcan cable. Inpa, ncs expert and winkfp.

Can I just recode the 540i ews to match m5 dme? The m5 dme is already coded for manual.

If so, is there a walk through on how to do that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You are thinking it is the EWS? Or do you have any idea? If it is the EWS there might be a code so do that first. You can code the EWS out, does that interest you?
How would I code the EWS out? I know I would still have some kind of security with CAS.
Thank you

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
How would I code the EWS out?
My answer is you get someone to do it for you. You can likely do it yourself but it will take know how and software, not my specialty, I hire people for that. There is someone on this board that can do that for you, he also codes and repairs clusters. I have a terrible memory so hopefully that will inspire someone else to mention his name because I forget. He has a good rep on this board and is very knowledgeable.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts