BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son had a M5 and a 540i, unfortunately the M5 was totaled. I took the transmission, differential, and engine out of the 540i, and replaced it with the M5's engine, transmission, differential, along with a new driveline.
I also am using the M5 DME, cluster, and I have the 540i EWS installed. I have wired the clutch switch, and cruise control cutout switch.
I understand that the DME and EWS must talk along with the key ring. Here is the strange part. When I tried it with the 540i (which is a 1999 E39) DME, all it would is turn over. When I try it with the M5's DME, it tries to start, but backfires, then quits.
I am also currently working on rebuilding the exhaust system. I have the exhaust manifolds on, and the front part of the exhaust connected (loosely).

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
You are thinking it is the EWS? Or do you have any idea? If it is the EWS there might be a code so do that first. You can code the EWS out, does that interest you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding, the EWS and the DME must have the same code. When I put in the 540i DME, the car would not even try to start, all it did was turn over.
When I put in the M5 DME, it started, but backfired real bad. I think it maybe out of time. I did replace the clutch, and rear main seal. I may not have gotten the flywheel on correctly. did not know it dealt with the timing. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you Sailor24 for your response.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Like I said read the codes and look for the EWS code, there are different ways it will turn the car off but it does not sound like your issue is that. The flywheel would be a good choice, many a person have installed that wrong. You also have to shim the crank sensor correctly. It must be an M5 flywheel, the 540 one is different, even though they sort of look the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a M5 dual mass flywheel. Only bad thing is the clutch is self adjusting, and not looking forward to that. any ideas on how to reset the clutch?

Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the error codes:
P0160 Bank 2 oxygen sensor
P0140 the O2 sensor for Bank 1, Sensor 2 failed respond to the fuel cutoff or fuel enrichment signals by the Engine Control Module (ECM).
P1451 DMTL failure (2 of these codes)
P1111 Engine Cooling temperature

I do not have any oxygen sensors due to that the exhaust is not completely installed. Waiting getting bungs, ordered, should be here any day.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
No EWS codes so you likely messed up the flywheel, I say that mainly because you suggested it. If you are not positive about lining up the pins then you probably did not. They usually start when you mess that up but maybe you messed it up perfect and everyone else did not mess it up as perfect. That would be the first thing to check. Most of those codes look like things not hooked up and none are "don't start the engine" codes.
You will have to search but there are threads on how to install the flywheel, and how to set the clutch up, here. Some even still have pictures.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
91 Posts
First hand experience on the flywheel. There is a dowl in the crank to align the flywheel. Also on the back of the flywheel you will see which hole is bigger. The biggest whole goes the the dowl pin. If the flywheel is on wrong you should be getting vanos codes and car will run rough and misfire . If it’s really bad it won’t start. If you need help with the flywheel and understanding I could help you I have an engine out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If the flywheel is on wrong you should be getting vanos codes and car will run rough and misfire
How does this work? AFAIK there are no sensors or timing back at the flywheel, and a misalignment shouldn't do anything more than possibly cause and out-of-balance condition. I thought the CPSs looked at the camshafts; do they instead look at something on the flywheel?!?

·
Registered
66 Posts
How does this work? AFAIK there are no sensors or timing back at the flywheel, and a misalignment shouldn't do anything more than possibly cause and out-of-balance condition. I thought the CPSs looked at the camshafts; do they instead look at something on the flywheel?!?
There's a series of square "teeth" extending out of the edge of the flywheel. If you examine them closely you'll notice that one tooth is missing, which the CPS and ECU use to determine the crankshaft angle. It's absolutely paramount that the flywheel is oriented with the slightly larger hole on the slightly larger dowel. If it's installed incorrectly then:

a.) The flywheel won't sit flush against the crankshaft, which could eventually destroy the starter, clutch, pressure plate, and/or transmission input shaft.
b.) The ECU will receive incorrect crankshaft angle data, causing the engine to run terribly. It will not improve over time.

CPS can refer to either Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is on the lower passenger side of the transmission bell housing and is easily damaged when re-installing the transmission. Learn from me - remove the CPS before installing the transmission or you may wind up having to replace your CPS too...

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
91 Posts
When you crank the car to start the engine computer (dme) looks at the cam sensor and the crank sensor. The crank sensor is on the transmission and it pick up the signal for the fylwheel. The flywheel has a Teeth with one empty slot to when we’re cyl1 is. That’s how it determined with coil to fire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the input from all of you. If my understanding is correct on the key ring -> EWS -> DME, You insert the key, it sends a signal to the EWS saying valid key, then the ews sends a signal to starter and DME. The DME and EWS should also have the same code. If they do, then the DME sends signal to fuel injectors to fire up, to say.

So when I got home today, I installed the M5 EWS and tried to start the car, nothing. When I reinstalled the 540i EWS, it turns over, tries to start, backfires, but will not start.

Strange part is that I can lock and unlock the doors with the 540i key. I also pulled the codes after I installed and tried to start the car with the M5 EWS, only code I received was P1451.

I also tried using the 540i DME, all the car would do is turn over, not even try to start.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also just tried to start it using the 540i DME. When I turned the key on, I did not hear the fuel pump, but the car turns over, does not try to start. I pulled the codes, none. The 540i was originally an automatic, I converted to a manual. I wired the clutch switch and cruise control switch. If the clutch is not depressed, it will not try to turn over. If depressed, it then will. I am also using the M5 cluster.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
91 Posts
Take a picture of both ews modules and post the maybe the m5 is weird different than the 540i or diffident module if it’s newer you would have to move some pins to different spot. On the picture specify which is which

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
You can't just switch units around they have to be coded to work together. Not much theft protection if the thief can bring his own EWS unit.
I am very confused by what you are saying but I think your understanding of the system might be the early systems so I will give you all the docs I have on that system.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
CPS can refer to either Camshaft or Crankshaft Position Sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is on the lower passenger side of the transmission bell housing and is easily damaged when re-installing the transmission. Learn from me - remove the CPS before installing the transmission or you may wind up having to replace your CPS too...
True but here we have been adding a "K" to the crank sensor for some time. Generally when referring to the crank we type CKPS just so people understand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
True but here we have been adding a "K" to the crank sensor for some time. Generally when referring to the crank we type CKPS just so people understand.
I actually hadn't seen that acronym yet. Good that there's a differentiation between the two types of sensors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strange part is when I had the M5 EWS in, I was still able to use the 540i key to lock and unlock the doors. To my understanding, that function should not work.

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 DINAN S2
91 Posts
Strange part is when I had the M5 EWS in, I was still able to use the 540i key to lock and unlock the doors. To my understanding, that function should not work.
The lock and unlock on the keys should work because the keys are saved to the Antena module I believe it’s on the left or right c Pilar

1 - 20 of 32 Posts