BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are countless threads on the board regarding E39 M5 oil consumption, but I figured that it would be helpful to get some insight from some fellow M5 owners. I have noticed that my M5 (which I have owned for four weeks) tends to go through a liter of Castrol TWS 10w-60 every 250 or so miles. Apart from a few weekends, the car has not been driven relatively hard. When I got the car, I drove it about 400 miles miles before I needed to put oil in, though most of those miles were on the highway driving it back home. I do know that the previous owner did not drive it often (about once a month), but he did service it with TWS 10w-60. I recently replaced the oil separator return hoses and the car does not leak a drop of oil. Should I be worried? Thanks

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If it was a Chevy Caviler you would be worried. If it was a Dodge Neon you would be worried. Of course you should be worried. That is high oil consumption. Make doubly sure that there are no leaks. There isn't anything you can do about it other than keeping an eye on the oil level. If consumption ramps up again or the engine starts performing poorly or making strange noises then it is time to be really worried, that could be next week or in 10 years, there is no way to predict.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine pulls strong and sounds healthy. There are absolutely no leaks. I have inspected the belly pan and other panels under the car.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Also factor in old ring design on before 3/00 M5s. I am assuming my M5 burns a liter about 300-500 miles but I am in process of solving this issue. I know that for a fact city driving burns higher rate of oil consumption.

Reactions: E39///MPower

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it was a Chevy Caviler you would be worried. If it was a Dodge Neon you would be worried. Because they are American pieces of crap. They use that much oil because of inferior parts and design. Of course you should be worried. That is high oil consumption. High end European cars like BMWs use that much by design and it is perfectly normal. No need for worry, very typical oil consumption.
rao, fixed it for you?....:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am curious, what are you doing to try to solve the high consumption? Thanks
E39///MPower,

So if you have no leaks, then the oil is being burned by the motor. Not much to do here other than re-ring the pistons or just keep adding oil all the time. I think the typical oil usage for most higher mileage M5's is around 1000 miles/quart or liter.

Reactions: E39///MPower

·
Registered
222 Posts
If it was me, I would remove the top of the plenum and check for oily residue. If there is, then it would be a clue that there is an oil circulation issue. If there is, check for air leaks that could imterupt the seperation of oil.

Reactions: Enrico 2000

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I am curious, what are you doing to try to solve the high consumption? Thanks
It is seems that I have some sort of air leak after I confirmed that I am not leaking any oil. My plenum were covered in oil so I took out my oil separators to clean it out. Sure enough, it was clogged at drain part of separators. I am still working out with few issues relating air leaks and oil consumption.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've put on 1000+ miles since I had mine (but I drive other cars in bad weather) and just added my first Liter today. It was slightly below the "low" mark (I'll watch it more religiously) and now is slightly below the "high" mark.
Mind you, many of those miles are WOT with power button on.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
That is very high oil consumption. You must see exhaust smoke on hard acceleration? Or if you don't, anyone following you does?

Are there sooty black spots on the bumper?

I was going to suggest you read this thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-other-sufferers-post5158090.html#post5158090

but your plenum is so clean it might not be applicable. Still, it's worth a try because if it's the early M5 piston ring problem, you pretty well have to live with it, although the Italian tune is worth a try.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The exhaust does emit some carbon particles. I think that is normal to a certain degree. I just talked to the PO and he said that he was regularly getting between 1000-1500 miles before needing to top off. He is a straight shooter so I believe him. I have been monitoring consumption closely and have been keeping the revs down and it appears that little to none oil had been consumed since the last top off.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Likely the rings. My 2000 uses a quart every 300-500 miles of city driving but virtually none on long trips. My theory is that engine braking which typically occurs when driving around town increases crankcase vacuum which draws the oil past the rings. Perhaps the issue is the same for you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My 99 hardly uses a drop. I maybe have to top it up every few months, and I do over 14k miles a year in it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mines been consuming oil since I bought her at 88K miles, and now has 130K. For the most part, I drive very, very normal. The occasional WOT highway pull does leave the car behind me (usually some a-hole left lane hog) engulfed in a black cloud of carbon. Mine is a 2000MY, so the looser spec piston rings. I'll take the trade off and keep adding oil, since the looser ringed motors made a little more power than the later, tight-spec ones did :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a similar motor. My 2000 M5 (10/99 build date) uses a quart of 10w60 about every 250 miles and has for years. I got it with 100K miles on it, and it has 160K miles now (60K miles in 6 years). Consumption has been the same on LiquiMoly 10w60 as it was for a long time on TWS 10w60, so I'm using the LiquiMoly since the price is much lower.

Like others, I find the consumption is higher if I'm just shuttling kids and doing errands around town and consumption reduces if I have extended freeway trips. I don't commute any more (working mostly from home) so I don't get as much freeway time.

I never had any problems with the oil consumption until last fall when I had to get smog checked for California and it barely passed the HC test after 3 tries and running SeaFoam and blasting down the freeway for 20 min at 4000 rpm to clean the cats out. Afterwards, I pulled the spark plugs which were about 50K miles old and they were terrible. All were very carbon covered and one had broken the center insulator and started creating a bad misfire and a misfire code on that cylinder. From now on, I'm putting in a fresh set of plugs every 2 years when it's time for my smog check. Need to burn all that oil!

I might look for a lower mileage late model motor to swap in.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
I know it looks clean but that is the main indication that a ton of oil is going through. If there was no oil or very little oil you would have brown stains. You likely have a crankcase air leak. This type of leak brings a lot of oil to the top. There is an air leak test on the board you do with cardboard over the intakes. Properly done it can pinpoint air leaks to the case rather than the normal plenum leaks.

You must remember the crankcase is under vacuum so the leak has to be very bad to spit out oil when all that air is being sucked in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts