BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 E39 M5 with the integrated phone but i cant use it as all my service providers are digital. Is there a way to replace the phone to digital? I asked the dealer and they said no. I cant belive there is no way to make my phone functional... Anyone deal with this issue before?

·
Registered
644 Posts
What is the build date of your car?
You should have the CPT7000 or 8000 kit; both were digital dual or tri mode phones depending on your provider. In any case, their is a retrofit kit for your car!

CPT8000 Retrokit: 84 11 0 025 691

Depending on your build date you will need an Analog to digital harness adapter.

Call Ed Zawacki, Parts manager at BMW of West Springfield. He's a great guy, very knowledgeable, and gave me the best price.

Number: (413) 746-1722

Best of luck

-Arash

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Very Much!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
You bet! ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: 2001 E39 Dual Mode Phone - Help

I have the CPT 7000 on a 2001 M5. I believe it's a dual mode phone...in any event it doesnt work with the Verizon family plan. How difficult is it to replace with the CPT8000? Is it just a new phone? And - is the CPT 8000 a tri-mode CDMA capable phone? That's what's required for family plan. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Re: 2001 E39 Dual Mode Phone - Help

GGarai said:
I have the CPT 7000 on a 2001 M5. I believe it's a dual mode phone...in any event it doesnt work with the Verizon family plan. How difficult is it to replace with the CPT8000? Is it just a new phone? And - is the CPT 8000 a tri-mode CDMA capable phone? That's what's required for family plan. Thanks for advice.
I wish it was as easy as just replacing the phone. You would need a new TCU (basically the phones brains that sits in the trunk), a wiring harness adapter, and a new antenna that can handle tri-mode communications.

You should check with your dealer -- they still might be able to get a 'kit' for the conversion with all these parts for you.

--Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts