BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I was just curious how many of the original guys back in 2000/2001 are still on the board and have their M5s. Also, there were about 50 of us (including myself) that attended the initial M5 Extravaganza and maybe 30 at the Russell Racing school event. This was the event that Gustav flew to the Bay Area to attend and if I remember correctly had some car trouble??

Just curious. :)

Sandy

·
Registered
651 Posts
Cerberus said:
Hi guys,

I was just curious how many of the original guys back in 2000/2001 are still on the board and have their M5s. Also, there were about 50 of us (including myself) that attended the initial M5 Extravaganza and maybe 30 at the Russell Racing school event. This was the event that Gustav flew to the Bay Area to attend and if I remember correctly had some car trouble??

Just curious. :)

Sandy
I'm still here

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Cerberus said:
Hi guys,

I was just curious how many of the original guys back in 2000/2001 are still on the board and have their M5s.
Still here, still have the M5 (though my Peake R5-FCX/II tells me it needs a new bank-1 intake cam position sensor), just got a new set of Kinesis K28s on it and the long-shelved Stoptechs should go on in the next week or so and then the MkIV nav update that's also in a box in the garage...

I've been back to working on my PP-ASEL (after 'dropping out' of flight training and parking my consulting practice eight years ago to go work for a startup that no longer exists) and taking care of a truckload of post-remodeling odds and ends.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
So am I! I remember that M5 extravagana too...donated some money too. Really wish I could've gone. And yes, I still have my M5 too.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I'm still here. 97,000 miles and counting.

I remember that first wine country drive and the Russell Racing class, and all. Good times. And I still love the car every time I drive it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Not a part of the west coast group, but still here, albeit only with 60,000 miles (goodness gracious Greg..) ... and a Tubi!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Received the car Dec 23, 1999 and now at 16K miles. Sad to discover that I went through another rear set of tires. :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'm here but I was not the original owner. sadly my beloved M5 is now history. :(

CP

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Not sure I can be considered one of the "originals," but I've been here since at least early '01, and I do recall reading about Gustav's visit back then!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Still here as well. There are a few of us still lingering. How are you doing Sandy? You decided on a new "fast fun" car yet?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TCM said:
Still here as well. There are a few of us still lingering. How are you doing Sandy? You decided on a new "fast fun" car yet?
Hey T.C.

I hope you are doing well.

My current experiment is with a Porsche GT2. I think this one will keep me satisfied for now; I hope. :confused3

Glad to see you are around as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
10/99 build, 11/99 Pick up. 99,000 miles. Lots of repairs.....driver's window, computer control panels, instrument clusters, 2 clutches, numerous A/C control problems, New injectors, new fuel filters, etc, etc.....

Still fast, still looks good(better then Bangle), Interior is still mucho comfortable and elegant.

I've averaged $1200/10,000 miles of after warranty repair expense. Still cheaper then buying a new Bangleized 5 series. I now have a GT3 and am astonished at that car!! However....it only caries two people, no luggage to speak of, and it truly is a race car( no sh*t motor, and stiff suspension)!!!!

Absent any more major repairs, the M5 will be around for a while longer. Hey...it's paided for!!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Stem:

Congrats on the GT3! A very fun litle car for you to casue trouble in;). Have you brought it to any track events yet?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Still here. Original MY00 Carbon Black purchased in Virgina Beach when I lived in Irvine, CA. Shipped it back to CA because all the "stealers" were marking them up in the early days $10k to $15k in CA. The car arrived with the incorrect options so----- traded it for even money with 9850 miles if you can believe it in 2001 and purchased another M5, this time Imola Red from a dealer in Alexandria, LA. because of the same reason as above. This time I took the opprotunity to drive it back to CA and do the break-in mileage at the same time. It was purchased in May of 2001.

Fast forward to today. I drove to many a Bay Area meet from Southern California including the one we donated money to Gustav. These drives in the Bay Area were always great fun even though I had to drive about 900 miles round trip just to get to them. I remember the 1st drive because my legs were so sore from bracing myself in the hills of Napa on those many curves. I also believe this was the drive that the state police were actively looking for us in the hills, but we were too fast!

I still have the Imola M5 with 52,000 miles, but I have moved to Houston were the M5 is a much rarier car than in CA. I miss those great meets.

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts