BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming the limiter has been removed, is it possible for a stock E39 M5 to reach the 200MPH mark? It seems to me it is possible, only because I've been up to about 125 in 4th gear (redline). with all of 5th and 6th gear left, that seems like lots more gear and revs to get to 200. :M5launch:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Only one way to find out :noSMG: . Strap on some timing gear, find a nice stretch of deserted road/drag strip/airfield etc... and drop the hammer :M5launch:

Would love to hear your results. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the concencus on board is about 175 mph- do a search, I'm sure it's somewhere, but I dont think 200 mph is poss at all

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I think it is pretty easy to calculate... just take some readings at lower speeds in sixth gear (eg., speed vs. rpm at 50, 70, 90) and then extrapolate out to the redline. I believe is comes to about 185 or so. I thought I read a racing story on this website a while back of some guy exceeding 190.. maybe with a tailwind... ; )

Cheers,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just consider that a Lambo w/ 600+ HP will just break 200. Not going to happen in a stock M5. If it was geared to get your there at redline, you wouldn't be able to get to the redline in 6th gear - the wind resistance would be too great for the motor to accelerate the car to that speed given its HP - it would hit a wall before you reached redline.

If it was just a factor of gear ratio, any motor with the proper gearing would get you 200 MPH, which isn't the case.

Nothing wrong with a 175 MPH seden, though ;)

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
chrisj said:
Just consider that a Lambo w/ 600+ HP will just break 200. Not going to happen in a stock M5. If it was geared to get your there at redline, you wouldn't be able to get to the redline in 6th gear - the wind resistance would be too great for the motor to accelerate the car to that speed given its HP - it would hit a wall before you reached redline.

If it was just a factor of gear ratio, any motor with the proper gearing would get you 200 MPH, which isn't the case.

Nothing wrong with a 175 MPH seden, though ;)
True on both counts... think I've read from multiple sources of >180 with the stock M5, but don't recall the specifics. I'm just guessing that 400hp may be just enough juice to push two tons and a fairly aerodynamically clean body through a 180 mph wind to the redline...

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
DC187 said:
I know it can. I have done 190+ and it was at the orange mark!

Months back I posted a thread on this exciting run....Search for

Top Speed! E39 is truly an amazing car-

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>

DC
Oh yeah... yours was the story I remember reading.. Thx. Here is the link...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53696&highlight=Top+speed+amazing

Worth re-reading. And there are some cool videos of an M5 in full flight associated with this thread...

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Gear limited...Not to mention I'm sure at that speed drag starts to really kick in. Think of somthing like a slr that needed the extra 120 hp just to get up over the 200mph mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts