21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
540is said:
I also run 25 profile on my 19" rears. (Yokahama AVS 315/25-19") :1:

hey, i think ive seen your video!!! :hihihi:

315's...arch mods a plenty i bet!?

What did u have to do to get the M3 rims to fit?

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
hey, i think ive seen your video!!! :hihihi:

315's...arch mods a plenty i bet!?

What did u have to do to get the M3 rims to fit?
NO archmods, slightly rolled just to avoid the sharp edges the 540 has
(M5 already has rolled fenders from Factory)

The rear rims are modified M3 rear wheels 11,25" wide,
I use custom spacers (different hubsizes) to fit them.
and are wery close to OEM offset both front and rear.

Downside? yes place 4 people in the car + luggage for a day at the strip including tools and fuel, and you will have to be a carefull driver or
use a very stiff setting on the suspension... :byebye:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
540is said:
I also run 25 profile on my 19" rears. (Yokahama AVS 315/25-19") :1:

315's on the rear! Have you got some more pics to share of this interesting upgrade?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I love this 20" wheel crap.

People hate them cuz they are 20"s? THat wheel is ugly hate it for that alone.

ALot of 20"s look good size wise it fills the fender nicely.

You wanna talk about hurting performance? Dont' put 275 on the front dont' run wider rubber, run smaller wheels and more narrow rubber...and o yeah dont' drive a 4000 lb car.

the reality is if you where blind folder and drove a car you prob wount' notice the 2 lb difference. it's in your head 95 percent of the time.

you want alight true sports car and hate on 20" wheels...get a porche gt3.

whats even more funny is very few people acualy use their car hard enough to notice a 17-20" wheel difference.

can you tell this argument really annoys me? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not just handling is getting bad with 20" You also loose power. Remember how much the car has to pull.

I would go for 18 or 19 no doubt about that.

As I said ask the tuners like Hamann or Schnitzer. They all sy stay away from 20".

You said you didn´t have room for 18" because of your brakes?
Can you send a picture of your brakes because to me they look standard.?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Jayson,

Youre missing the point of the board. If there's nothing to talk about, then make something up that will annoy Jayson :mad: ;)

hahah, have a great weekend guys, and happy thanksgiving to all you yanks :2: LOL

Im off
foxy :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Jayson,

Youre missing the point of the board. If there's nothing to talk about, then make something up that will annoy Jayson :mad: ;)

hahah, have a great weekend guys, and happy thanksgiving to all you yanks :2: LOL

Im off
foxy :M5launch:

I belive it :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Jayson said:
I love this 20" wheel crap.

People hate them cuz they are 20"s? THat wheel is ugly hate it for that alone.

ALot of 20"s look good size wise it fills the fender nicely.

You wanna talk about hurting performance? Dont' put 275 on the front dont' run wider rubber, run smaller wheels and more narrow rubber...and o yeah dont' drive a 4000 lb car.

the reality is if you where blind folder and drove a car you prob wount' notice the 2 lb difference. it's in your head 95 percent of the time.

you want alight true sports car and hate on 20" wheels...get a porche gt3.

whats even more funny is very few people acualy use their car hard enough to notice a 17-20" wheel difference.

can you tell this argument really annoys me? :)
Jayson,

Now that we know that you can be annoyed by the 20 inch tire talk, how do you feel about the CAI subject? You do realize you have just set yourself up for some real cute comments about everything from car color to proper leather care. Not trying to harpoon you here but you have seen the number of different threads here and you know someone is going to able to come up with a legit reason for staying below 20 inch wheels. I would have to say the ability for them to withstand pot holes has got to leave something to be desired damage wise.

I can take it, tell me me what you really think. :D

Mark

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
MAH said:
Jayson,

Now that we know that you can be annoyed by the 20 inch tire talk, how do you feel about the CAI subject? You do realize you have just set yourself up for some real cute comments about everything from car color to proper leather care. Not trying to harpoon you here but you have seen the number of different threads here and you know someone is going to able to come up with a legit reason for staying below 20 inch wheels. I would have to say the ability for them to withstand pot holes has got to leave something to be desired damage wise.

I can take it, tell me me what you really think. :D

Mark

I always set my self up cuz what is say makes to much sence :) But if sombody tells me car color makes it faster that will annoy me too. The difference is nobody says that...years ago 17" wheels where "optimum" for street performance, now the enzo runs 19"s the carrera gt 20"s on the rear :)

So I guess those are slow huh :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jayson said:
I always set my self up cuz what is say makes to much sence :) But if sombody tells me car color makes it faster that will annoy me too. The difference is nobody says that...years ago 17" wheels where "optimum" for street performance, now the enzo runs 19"s the carrera gt 20"s on the rear :)

So I guess those are slow huh :)
Listen Jason it is really simple to explain.

We are not talking about sizes only here but just as much central force of a bigger wheel. A M5 uses some were around 30 Bp more to pull the 20" than the 18" IF not even more.

This is proven many times.

For example take a bicycle wheel. Put your finger inside it just as the far to the tire as possible.. Now turn the wheel. Then take your finger and out in as close to center as possible. turn it again and you will realise that it is harder to turn. WHY?? central force and the size is still the same.

The central force on a 20" is much bigger than on your 18" so it is simple 18" is faster wheels than 20"

Here is another thing.

Keep your 20" wheels on the car go to a freeway or a road were you have the chance to speed. Take the time yur car accelerates from 45 Mph - 100 Mph ( 60-170 Km/h) And a time from 60 Mph - 125 Mph ( 100-200 Km/h)

Write these times down. Put on you 18" on and do these times again.

You will be surprised dude :wroom:

B

·
0 Posts
My opinion:

- 18" is best for the performance of the M5.
- 19" is a compromise between looks and performance.
- 20" is the best looking wheel on the M5.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
BeastPower said:
My opinion:

- 18" is best for the performance of the M5.
- 19" is a compromise between looks and performance.
- 20" is the best looking wheel on the M5.

Cheers, Daniel.
That right Dan...

How are thing coming along with the meassurement for the velocity stacks I asked:cheers:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
thomasserwin said:
Listen Jason it is really simple to explain.

We are not talking about sizes only here but just as much central force of a bigger wheel. A M5 uses some were around 30 Bp more to pull the 20" than the 18" IF not even more.

This is proven many times.

For example take a bicycle wheel. Put your finger inside it just as the far to the tire as possible.. Now turn the wheel. Then take your finger and out in as close to center as possible. turn it again and you will realise that it is harder to turn. WHY?? central force and the size is still the same.

The central force on a 20" is much bigger than on your 18" so it is simple 18" is faster wheels than 20"

Here is another thing.

Keep your 20" wheels on the car go to a freeway or a road were you have the chance to speed. Take the time yur car accelerates from 45 Mph - 100 Mph ( 60-170 Km/h) And a time from 60 Mph - 125 Mph ( 100-200 Km/h)

Write these times down. Put on you 18" on and do these times again.

You will be surprised dude :wroom:

it's called centrifical force bud. :M5thumbs:

Start running 15"s.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jayson said:
it's called centrifical force bud. :M5thumbs:

Start running 15"s.
Then you need to change brakes.. Use the one from the E30 320I :happybirt

·
Registered