BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NYC and need some snow tires for when we go up to Vermont or when we get snow in the city.. I really do not want to get smaller wheels so I was thinking about just getting snow tires mounted on the 20inch wheels..

I have been searching everywhere but I have not found any information on how 20inch snow tires do.. Does anyone here have real world experience with 20inch snow tires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Obviously more tire less wheel is better for winter, BUT if you are keeping se
Wheel and just switching tires get the perelli scorpion snow and ice. Best out there.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously more tire less wheel is better for winter, BUT if you are keeping se
Wheel and just switching tires get the perelli scorpion snow and ice. Best out there.
Good luck
I agree, I might as well do it right and drop down to a smaller wheel..

Thank you

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The scorpions will run you about 1400 a set plus installation

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ran 275/40/20 Pirelli Scorp Ice/Snow on my '03 X5 4.6iS and my '06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for a total of 4 winters. I live in Westchester so we have similar conditions. I used 4 Front rims with spacers on the back on the 4.6 and the stock rims on the CTTS. They performed flawlessly in all conditions on both vehicles. I ski in VT and drove up during blizzards with zero issue. I would have no hesitation in reccomending these tires in 20" unless you faced DEEP snow very often. For most applications, it works just fine and you get the added benefit of keeping the truck looking good with 20's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran 275/40/20 Pirelli Scorp Ice/Snow on my '03 X5 4.6iS and my '06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for a total of 4 winters. I live in Westchester so we have similar conditions. I used 4 Front rims with spacers on the back on the 4.6 and the stock rims on the CTTS. They performed flawlessly in all conditions on both vehicles. I ski in VT and drove up during blizzards with zero issue. I would have no hesitation in reccomending these tires in 20" unless you faced DEEP snow very often. For most applications, it works just fine and you get the added benefit of keeping the truck looking good with 20's.
Good to know and thank you... I better hurry up and get some tires, winter is here..

·
Registered
9 Posts
100% agree. I run the 275/40/20 Pirelli Scorp Ice/Snow around on a X5M. No issues. I think the concern about width is only really valid if you are seeing deep snow often. On hard packed snow the wider tire is fine.

M

·
Registered
280 Posts
did you buy yet my 20 tires work great for size we get lots snow here -30 they are ok paid 1685 cdn set installed pirelli

hope it helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice mounted on the car almost 2 weeks and have logged about 1000miles since then. I drove 205miles to Vermont through the snowstorm and had no problems.. Highways were covered with an inch or two and I had no problems going 60mph..

Braking- With these things braking from any speed is impressive.. I didn't go out and take measurements but I can stomp on the brakes and not have to worry about stopping..

Dry weather handling was one of the most important things to me and these pass the test with an A+.. I can barely tell I am driving on snowtires.. I have had snow tires on previous cars and I use to dread having to get them mounted but with these, I will cringe no more..

Slow speed steep hill climbing - No problems, I got up a friends driveway that was covered with about 5 inches of snow without a glitch..

I haven't driven in more than 8 inches of snow but for where I live and drive, these are perfect. It is rare to see more than 6inches of snow on our roads so getting something that handles amazingly in 20inches of snow at highway speeds wasn't a priority.. I'll give up speed in those conditions to have a more enjoyable daily commute which typically doesn't involve snow..

Thanks for all the help and advice...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My service advisor tried to get me to purchase a set of 19" dedicated snow tires and rims for like $5K. Given that I usually don't keep my cars longer than two years and he told me they definitely wouldn't fit my wife's 750 I opted for the Pirelli's. I drove into Queens during that blizzard after Christmas with NO problems (Queens was the land that plows forgot for like a week). They also LOOKED great on the stock rims for the 75% of the time I didn't need them. I saw my same truck with the 19" snow tire & rim package I passed on and it looked kind of off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts