BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went cruising in a just recently finished 80 km. new highway that is not yet open to the public. The location is "secret" for now. It will be ready for opening in about 2 more months. My friend knows the builder so we were given pass to use this highway. And we hope we can use it again a couple of more times. :1:

The route was very scenic as it was built cutting into small mountains and the view is just spectacular considering this is in the Philippines. And the route also did not have villages or villagers living there because it used to be a NO MAN'S LAND because it was on the path of VOLCANO before. And the whole area got devastated in a volcanic eruption more than 15 years ago. Now the land has grown back and the grasses are green. Now, its beautiful again. It was really a nice drive for all of us - all the way straight. No cars, no curves. We just blasted straight ahead until the end of the highway.

Before getting into this new highway, we passed by the old highway which was on another area which was the normal highway people are using. This was a busy highway and my friend was driving his BLACK M5 and got a stone chip which cracked his windshield. It grew to the size of 16 inches. Eventually, we had to leave his car in his office before getting into this new highway because the crack was getting bigger and bigger.

So on the way back home, I was driving relatively slow. When I got out of the tollgate and was just picking up to speed around 80 km/h, I heard a really loud impact on my windshield. I knew from the very sound of it, my windshield must have been really hit by a stone or something.

So whether you drive fast or slow, if a stone is going to hit you, it's going to hit you.

The following day I checked it, and yes there was indeed a crack half an inch long and with an impact mark in the middle.

My friend already had his windshield injected but I haven't seen if it was a good job or not. Since mine is much smaller, he told me I have good chance it might disappear with the injection.

How those 2 small stones ruined a really good day for driving. :grrrr:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
looked like a fun high way... Sucks about the stones, I would lose sleep over it

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
get used to it....sucks but.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice pics. I'd get a new windscreen though as injections and 160mph+ runs are not a good idea. When it's in, I'd have the window surround dechromed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend had his done at NOVUS GLASS here in the Philippines. But I will tell him what you guys just said that it might not be safe at 160 mph.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I also had a RED NSX in 1994 up to 1998 in Canada. So I kinda know what it feels to drive one.

The day we took to my M5 to the highway, my mileage was around 2,000 km. I was hesitant to floor it and drag race my friends NSX because what the manual and dealer told me about not driving the car hard before 2,000 kms. But my friend who had the other M5 egged me on. So I said, what the heck. I floored my m5 up to 8000 RPM, and shifted into 2nd. But the NSX really left me behind from 1st to 2nd gear. Is this probably because my M5 hasn't been broken in yet?

Anyway, today I sent my M5 for its 2000 KM check up. We plan to drag race that NSX again and the other black E60 M5 next week on that same highway. The dealer also told me they will remove my top speed limiter through the BMW computer.

After this 2,000 KM check, is it now safe to drag race my M5 against that NSX?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also had a RED NSX in 1994 up to 1998 in Canada. So I kinda know what it feels to drive one.

The day we took to my M5 to the highway, my mileage was around 2,000 km. I was hesitant to floor it and drag race my friends NSX because what the manual and dealer told me about not driving the car hard before 2,000 kms. But my friend who had the other M5 egged me on. So I said, what the heck. I floored my m5 up to 8000 RPM, and shifted into 2nd. But the NSX really left me behind from 1st to 2nd gear. Is this probably because my M5 hasn't been broken in yet?

Anyway, today I sent my M5 for its 2000 KM check up. We plan to drag race that NSX again and the other black E60 M5 next week on that same highway. The dealer also told me they will remove my top speed limiter through the BMW computer.

After this 2,000 KM check, is it now safe to drag race my M5 against that NSX?
Remove the limiter- you have a very nice dealer.

Should have no problems in the straights vs an NSX.

After first service I got stuck into the performance. Up til then, left it in P400 and did it by the book. However, waiting until 3,000miles (km's maybe 4,500?) like they say in the manual would just be a waste. The tranny and brakes are all bedded in by then and one only lives once. 1,200miles was hard enough but I'm proud I managed it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ive got one too...but after you track for awhile, one gets used to stuff like that...and especially after one hits a deer at 120 mph...haha

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice pics. Seems like it was a great drive. Sorry about the stone chips tho...that stinks.

Surprised they injected your friends windshield with a crack that large. :nono:
+1 a crack that large shouldn't be injected no matter what speeds you're traveling. The 1/2 inch one, I'd be more comfortable with injecting, but at speeds of 160 MPH, I'd still be a bit worried. Might be worth it to just go for a new windshield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts