BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FUN! Those things are beasts!

Driving down some empty side roads, I went passed him at a normal speed. He speeds up to stay behind me. I was going to get on the freeway, but just in case he followed, I knew the road was empty ahead.
Sure enough, we are at the light, and it's completely empty ahead (no turn ons or offs either so no worry of cars getting in the way).

I think this is the first stop light race I've had in years. Anyway, while waiting he says he loves my car, and I complimented his. It was very good looking for an SUV. I said, "You'll probably beat me out of the hole, but hopefully I can catch you after." Then it turned green, and bam! I was right, he jumps out ahead of me. But by end of 2nd I'm gaining and through 3rd I just dusted him.

Man! It was fun. Anyway. We get to the next light and compliment each other again, and this time it turns green, and I thought he wouldn't do it again, so I just accelerate normally, and so does he, but then I hear "honk honk honk" and he punches it. I did too right after. It took a little longer to reel him in this time, but I did again in 3rd. WOW I love this car, but I also am very impressed w/ that SRT8!

Ok. It was fun acting like a kid. No lectures. I'm not a street racer, and trust me, you guys would have too. The roads were perfectly empty and 3 lanes wide.... with no turn-off's or on's. It was fun to really see what the M5 could do against an AWD 400+ HP monster off the line. (Not sure of the exact HP rating on those SRT8's, and too lazy to look up)

:cheers::M5launch:

PS. Just looked it up...

0-60 in under 5 seconds — wet or dry
Standard 6.1L SRT HEMI® V8 engine
Horsepower: 420 @ 6,200 rpm

From this site: http://www.jeep.com/en/2008/grand_cherokee/models/srt8/

·
Registered
459 Posts
Those things are surprisingly fast. Well..... for an SUV ;)

I remember when I had my 330 about 5 or 6 years ago, and an F150 pulled up next to me. I learned what "lightning" meant pretty quickly.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's awesome. Great story, ty for sharing. I ran across the same car at a Santa Barbara car street fair. Talked to the guy for some time. I imagine we will have to be careful with these, as he was gearing up for some serious modifications. Could become a shameful situationn if your not careful.

·
Registered
302 Posts
when i was looking @ a 3rd car a few months ago i test drove one of those...ive always liked them ever since they came out; never seen a better looking jeep...not nearly as fast after the jump, but from the stop they are monsters...lots of power and like u said, awd...

·
Registered
195 Posts
CAnt agree more...

I owned an srt8 jeep for a while.. . . it's very fast...especially out of the whole...

ON the highway...it's no match....but 0-60 gives us a good run

·
Registered
210 Posts
Word is they're going to come out with a 500hp version in a couple years and maybe even next year. Now that's going to be some car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont know what you are talking about, my friend has one with exhaust, lacked out wheels (real clean), I have raced him one too many times, and I always get off quicker. Both of us launch, but only one of us has SMG, let alone my launch control. I usually am head to head until 35, then its done. I eat those things for breakfast. Mind you that my car is completely stock.
Nothing like our car... nothing.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Word is they're going to come out with a 500hp version in a couple years and maybe even next year. Now that's going to be some car.

I think the whole SUV / HP thing is being seriously looked at by all manufacturers....slow sales because of the gas price, not worth the investment.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had an SRT8 Jeep for a year or so. Installed headers, exhaust, CAI and tune, and it was absolutely a beast from a dig . ...jeyhairis, your buddy doesn't know how to drive, because the SRT8 will walk the e60 M5 to 40mph.... All wheel drive with a whole passel of torque down low makes for a killer launch!! After 50-60mph, though it is a different story..... aerodynamics and a crappy shifting transmission come into play and they definitely lose their edge. It was a fun truck to own, the exceptions being gas mileage, the lazy shifting transmission, and the quality of the interior.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice kill Scott!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good job Scott. :) How did you launch it?
S6, punched it, but probably not as hard as I could have... I didn't want to totally flog my car. lol

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scott,

Did you push your "Power" button in?

Regards,

LOL

What power button? :7:

Actually, I got out of the car, and pushed it from behind to make it fair.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Had one screw with me on the interstate...........I ignored him. If I'm gonna get busted for racing, it's not gonna be a Chrysler truck. I was never that drunk!

·
Registered
994 Posts
i dont know what you are talking about, my friend has one with exhaust, lacked out wheels (real clean), I have raced him one too many times, and I always get off quicker. Both of us launch, but only one of us has SMG, let alone my launch control. I usually am head to head until 35, then its done. I eat those things for breakfast. Mind you that my car is completely stock.
Nothing like our car... nothing.
Hmmm, the 599 walks our car like it's standing still. However,
I agree that nothing touches the "overall package" of our cars.

AS for SUV's, even chiped ones fall on their faces at hwy speeds. New Cayenne Turbo S sounds like a great stocker though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts