1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the 2 new K&N intake kit; K&N Typhoon and K&N 57:

K&N 57 Kit

K&N Typhoon Kit

The main difference is 57 has heat shield, some how less induction noise and more power than typhoon. Typhoon doesn't have a heat shield and because of alum. tube it has deeper induction roar.
Both products said to be dyno tested and gain 18hp vs 12hp over stock intake.
Here is the quote of the person who tested both products:
That said, having had both intakes on my car here are my impressions. The Typhoon gives the car a deeper tone. The 57 makes no discernible difference in the engine note. Both intakes are really well done. The 57 has a composite tube instead of aluminum. This enables a “tuned” shape other than round that K&N says is the primary reason for more power. The 57 also has a heat shield that completely isolates the filter from the engine compartment. It form fits at the bottom and the foam molding on top seals to the bottom of the hood. You don’t need a gauge to know that the filter and its housing is dramatically cooler than the tube.
The Typhoon has more of an aggressive aftermarket appearance IMO while the 57 is more of an OEM look. Both are really nice. Personal taste really. The guys at K&N have been great to hang out with and are really interested in doing a full scale DIY. K&N is going to use Nix’s car for a mini documentary. We’ll have before and after pics, sound clips, and yes the before and after dynos people are obsessing over. I am going to do it in the form of an article for the SD CCA Club magazine.

My conclusion is that both of these intakes are the best performance values by far available for the M3. The performance difference between them is negligible, maybe a 10th or two. The temperature and humidity are bigger performance factors than the difference between these two intakes. I’ll take it a step further. You could take identical cars except for the two intakes and Mathews would kick the *** of 99% of the people on this board in either one.

It does not matter what your preference is. This is a no-brainer.
There is more info on M3 Forum

What I don't understand is how come these intakes make more power since the same air is fed to the air filter. I thought maybe the filter surface is larger thus result in more air going to the engine but I'm not sure.
However at less than 300$ IMO this intake is a bargain evenif it only gives half of the claimed hp.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the K&N Typhoon kit installed:

·
Moderator Emeritus
600 Posts
Onur,

I think you've noticed most well known BMW tuners (Kelleners & Nowack) don't change the OEM intake all they do is change the OEM filter with an aftermarket filter.

When I went to pick up my car this summer from Kelleners I was told that they haven't really found any after market intake system that performs what they claim actually some intake systems they tested reduced the performance of the engine dramatically.

I asked if my GruppeM intake was any good all they said is that it worked like the OEM one and didn't have any negative effect on the performance of the engine. I got the right hp gain as with the OEM intake (a good sign that it works)

I think you know it's not only the amount of air that affect the engines performance it's also how the air flows inside the intake which I'm sure BMW invested a lot of time designing the ideal intake that would work in all conditions (weather & altitude).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
These intakes are not going to net much more power IMO. They are still getting hot and stale air from the engine bay. To really improve your airflow, you need to get the air from outside the engine area to a place that recieves constant cool airflow. I agree with HIPAD, that most of the reputable tuners retain the stock airbox and just add a filter or reroute hosing to get cooler air to the airbox. I do not see how this unit does that. But it does look pretty good styling wise:).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts