BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loving the car. Loving the SMG. Funniest thing is, not only loving the iDrive, but am appreciating how same it is, compared to other systems I've had recently.

The car I traded for the M5 was a SRT8 Challenger. Cool looking touchscreen video/stereo system, but due to the usual bumps and general motion of the car whilst driving, I often had to look over at the screen in order to not fat-finger my station changes - frequently would hit the "Music Style" softkey instead the desired station. Not so with iDrive. Programmed in a half-dozen stations and when the commercials for straight-to-dvd movies come on, I don't even look down/take my eyes off the road - just let my hand drift off the shifter, onto the control dial and twist away.

That's the difference between briefly reviewing and actually owning something, I suppose. Though Jeremy Clarkson may think it takes a 14 year old to figure out iDrive (it's just menus and submenus, anyone with a computer should be familiar with the concept), the dayto-day application is quite the reverse.

A thousand miles or so. Loving the sound, loving the pull, loving the styling, loving how practical it is. Not sure what happened with the car before I picked it up - mpg was displaying at 10.0! I've now got it up to 14.6.

·
Registered
47 Posts
10 mpg...... maybe the STIG had it!?!?!..... Actually, that number has been achieved by many members.....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
The 10mpg was probably from the people that test drove it before you and had the pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
just don't go near a new i-drive you'll see how bad the old one really is. congrats on the new ride!!!
So true. My DD is a 2011 X5 and when I get in the M5 (2007) the I-Drive/Nav is a pre-historic piece of hardware/software.

The most important thing is that you are enjoying your new ride!

PS - there are some members that have successfully upgraded to the new Idrive system.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Agreed. The new Idrive is just great.

So true. My DD is a 2011 X5 and when I get in the M5 (2007) the I-Drive/Nav is a pre-historic piece of hardware/software.

PS - there are some members that have successfully upgraded to the new Idrive system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loving the car. Loving the SMG. Funniest thing is, not only loving the iDrive, but am appreciating how same it is, compared to other systems I've had recently.

The car I traded for the M5 was a SRT8 Challenger. Cool looking touchscreen video/stereo system, but due to the usual bumps and general motion of the car whilst driving, I often had to look over at the screen in order to not fat-finger my station changes - frequently would hit the "Music Style" softkey instead the desired station. Not so with iDrive. Programmed in a half-dozen stations and when the commercials for straight-to-dvd movies come on, I don't even look down/take my eyes off the road - just let my hand drift off the shifter, onto the control dial and twist away.

That's the difference between briefly reviewing and actually owning something, I suppose. Though Jeremy Clarkson may think it takes a 14 year old to figure out iDrive (it's just menus and submenus, anyone with a computer should be familiar with the concept), the dayto-day application is quite the reverse.

A thousand miles or so. Loving the sound, loving the pull, loving the styling, loving how practical it is. Not sure what happened with the car before I picked it up - mpg was displaying at 10.0! I've now got it up to 14.6.
I am also going from a Hemi (5.7 not 6.1). I cant wait till I find the one I'm looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my 2008 for a couple weeks now, and I too am liking the iDrive as I get used to it. So far getting about 9 mpg tho, suburban surface street driving mostly. Oh well, didn't buy the car for gas mileage. I can always drive the F150 4x4 and get 11mpg if I need to, LOL!

·
Registered
51 Posts

Similar experience re. new I-Drive. Just bought wife '11 X5, and new system superior to what is in my '08 M5 -- notwithstanding that the '08 system is better than what was in my '02...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meant to say - "simple", I love how simple iDrive is. :)

No doubt later gen's are improved, but compared to some systems still considered "current" gen, iDrive is a safer system, regardless of whether we're talking 06, 07 or 09 version.

btw, mpg now at 14.7 :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
10 mpg...... maybe the STIG had it!?!?!..... Actually, that number has been achieved by many members.....

meant to say - "simple", I love how simple iDrive is. :)

No doubt later gen's are improved, but compared to some systems still considered "current" gen, iDrive is a safer system, regardless of whether we're talking 06, 07 or 09 version.

btw, mpg now at 14.7 :)
I hate I-drive. Almost wish I had an 09 so I could have had the new Nav.

My mpg with just me driving and about a 50/50 city/hwy mix is 10.8mpg. If you're at 14.7mpg you're not driving it right. :M5launch:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts