BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, this guy should get the 'mullet-of-the-month' award, especially if these oil pump stories have any substance... :confused2

Anyway, I guess that just sums up some peoples' attitudes.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Gustav said:
Faster than the Viper :)
Of course, never mind that every other test of the Viper had it a least a half a second faster to 60.... So.. I'd say in this one test, yes it was faster.

·
Registered
703 Posts
the Suzuki GSXR1000 can do much better than 3.18 to 100kph, much better

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
And the point is? Lust or not, Motor Trend and several others have tested the Viper below 4 seconds. Not accepting it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think there are several examples of questionable times in that list....

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Mardeth said:
I kind of lost my trust for the american car magazines when the SL600 did 0-60 in 3.6s.
The facts are what they are. I don't know why it's hard to believe that a car with almost 500 hp and almost 600 lb-ft of torque can hit 60 in 3.6 seconds. The main problem MB's high-power models have in a straight line is traction off the line. I don't think that every test would produce a 3.6 time, but if the conditions were particularly favorable, that result doesn't surprise me given the power and torque (and, please, no HP v. Torque lectures).

·
Registered
277 Posts
MRichmond said:
The facts are what they are.
It certainly has the power for it but everything else needed for a such a time it has not. 5 automatic gears, "bad" traction and considerable weight...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Mardeth said:
It certainly has the power for it but everything else needed for a such a time it has not. 5 automatic gears, "bad" traction and considerable weight...
The number of gears is largely irrelevan to a 0-60 time because the car uses, at most, two gears. Actually, the fewer gears the better for this because each gearchange takes time. The same magazine -- Car & Driver -- in its current issue got a 4.2 second 0-60 time for the SL65. All things being equal, I doubt that the S600 is faster than the SL65. This shows, I think, that the 3.6 second run the S600 did was the product of some conditions particularly favorable to that car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts