BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to local BMW dealer yesterday regarding possible future order of E60 M5 and was informed that the waiting list is 2 1/2 years! Is this true for UK only or worldwide?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sounds unlikely. His next line is probably going to be something like this: "now sir if you were willing to pay over the list price you might be able to secure one sooner..."

·
Registered
383 Posts
The list at my dealer was 13 before Christmas.

I would guess the dealer you spoke with either has a existing list or is only expecting a few cars a year.

We've heard that BMW are stock piling cars ready for the launch. Somthing to do with an update to the normal series models having issues and the M5 already fitted with the change, so they dont want the updated M5 making people decide to wait to order normal cars.

Not sure if the first figures of 450 M5 allocation for the UK is now increased because of this launch delay? But if not do the math, 150 dealers and 450 cars makes 3 each without weighting on the distribution. So 2 1/2 years is only 7 people on the list infront of you.

Not sure if the demo is allocated at my dealer but if you want me to find out PM me and I'll pass on your details, might already be specced but will be a good one as I helped with the spec. There will be a minimum 4 month ownership for the dealer, things were changed with regards to demo's to stop volume brand dealers regestering stock to qualify for bonuses.

Happy New Year Everyone
Sacha...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy New Year to everybody!!

Sacha, your figures of about 3 each per dealer is probably correct, as our dealer stated that there would only be 3 cars in this year for him.

Do you know what the colours are exterior/interior? Do you know if you can have two tone leather? There is very little information around at the moment.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Do you know what the colours are exterior/interior? Do you know if you can have two tone leather? There is very little information around at the moment.
Expect the first cars to be very limited in their colours.

I suspect most will be Silver or Interlagos Blue. Two tone leather will definitely not be seen. Most cars will come with black leather (BORING!).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
They will make more than the E39 and there are a lot of speculators out there. My advice- put a few deposits down and then sit tight. I think you will have 12-18 months of market hype and then things will calm down. For future reference, it never hurts to get on a waiting list very early.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with Ashoks guess for the coulours, but I've gone for Red with black leather and pricing red leather inserts to breakup the darkness. I wanted the black with red leather but didn't want full leather so I reversed it:)

I posted a PDF with some UK info a short while ago, there is also a brochure now so check with your dealer.

There is a lot of kit standard in the UK spec, more than ever before IMO. I would not of gone for the sunroof but everything else was on my list.

Sacha...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree with Ashoks guess for the coulours, but I've gone for Red with black leather and pricing red leather inserts to breakup the darkness. I wanted the black with red leather but didn't want full leather so I reversed it
Homer, didnt quite understand your quote above! Have you gone for a red car with black and red leather. How much is it to add coloured panels to seats?

I think that BMW have not thought too much about the launch of the M5 and choices available for either colour of bodywork or interior IMO. There was so much choice for E39, so why change and dissappoint some of their clients.

If your spending nearly 70k I feel there should be a few more options available. It may have been said before but for that sort of money you would expect a bit more, apart from the engine and exhaust system and a few electrical gadgets there is not alot to differentiate it from say a 545i sport, (which on comparison of spec sheets gets anthracite roof lining included and for an M its not standard and costs you £995)

If I am wrong on anything I have written please let post to correct me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Homer, didnt quite understand your quote above! Have you gone for a red car with black and red leather. How much is it to add coloured panels to seats?
Yes red car black leather but I've asked for prices on red door inserts and arms, guess the prices will be from the parts list rather than changing the build at the factory.

The option for the roof liner is alcantara, a suede material not offered in other 5's as far as I'm aware.

Have you looked at the Individual options available? There was a Z8 with an individual designed interior that looked stunning on the sight. There is a delay on delivery and the cost but if you want it just so they're the people to talk to.

Hope this helps
Sacha...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
If your spending nearly 70k I feel there should be a few more options available. It may have been said before but for that sort of money you would expect a bit more, apart from the engine and exhaust system and a few electrical gadgets there is not alot to differentiate it from say a 545i sport, (which on comparison of spec sheets gets anthracite roof lining included and for an M its not standard and costs you £995)

If I am wrong on anything I have written please let post to correct me.
When compared to a 545 Sport the M5 looks good value to me. To spec the 545 to the same level as an M5 it will cost about 50K pounds which is only a difference of about 12K pounds which for the V10 engine, 7 speed SMG etc seems like reasonable value. My M5 I have specced is about 64K pounds as there is not a lot you need to add to the basic model in the UK.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JohnH: dont get me wrong, the M5 is a class leader, my only gripe is with choices and costs. All other E60 5's apart from 545i Sport have a total of 12 colour choices of which 10 are metallic, where as 545i sport is the same 7 colour choice as the M of which 5 are metallic. The only way to get different colours is to go Individual.

Also has anyone compared the optional extras lists of 545i Sport and M5. If you do a comparison of items which are available to both vehicles the values for the M come to £4745 against £3855 for the 545i Sport. Im not saying I would want a 545i Sport but if the items are exactly the same why do they cost nearly £900 more. Its the same bodyshell and parts etc.

Hope I dont get anyones back up with this but comments are welcome.

·
Registered
383 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Also has anyone compared the optional extras lists of 545i Sport and M5. If you do a comparison of items which are available to both vehicles the values for the M come to £4745 against £3855 for the 545i Sport. Im not saying I would want a 545i Sport but if the items are exactly the same why do they cost nearly £900 more. Its the same bodyshell and parts etc.

Hope I dont get anyones back up with this but comments are welcome.
Just interested what options these are?

Things like the Logic 7 are discounted as the M5 has the professional system as standard. The rear lip/spoiler is a cost option on the sport.

If you get a chance please list the options and where you got the M5 pricing as the dealers are still awaiting final pricing confermation.

The PDF on teh web site prices are slightly different to the ones the dealer system is using at the moment and BMW said confermation would be issues in December so the're running a bit behind.

Sacha...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Here is a list of the original M5 options in the UK:

Active Seat Ventilation (£810)
BMW Assist (£120)
Climate Comfort Glass (£710)
Extended Voice Control (£285)
Heated Rear Seats (£255)
Logic 7 HiFi System (£515)
M Multifunction Sports Seats (£1,235)
Madeira Walnut Trim (£370)
Natural Olive Carrara Wood Trim (£370)
Protective Glazing (£1130)
Rooflining in Alcantara (£1000)
Ski-Bag (£340)
Rear Headphone System (£190)
Rear Window Sunblind (Electric) (£215)
Rear Window Sunblind + Manual Side blinds (£320)
Bluetooth Telephone preparation (£460)
TV Function (£680)
Full Merino Leather, perforated (£5285)
Full Merino Leather (£5285)
Sun Protection Glass (£285)
Universal remote Control (£165)
Windscreen with Green Shade Band (£50)

Here is a list from the latest brochure without prices!!

Active Cruise Control - New
Climate Comfort Glass
Extended Voice Control
Heated Rear Seats
HK HiFi Loudspeaker System - New
Logic 7 HiFi System
M Multifunction Sports Seats
Rooflining in Alcantara
Ski-Bag
Rear Window Sunblind (Electric)
Rear Window Sunblind + Manual Side blinds
Bluetooth Telephone preparation
Professional Telephone - New
TV Function
Extened Merino Leather, perforated
Full Merino Leather
Sun Protection Glass
Universal remote Control
Windscreen with Green Shade Band

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
JohnH said:
Here is a list from the latest brochure without prices!!

Active Cruise Control - New
Climate Comfort Glass
Extended Voice Control
Heated Rear Seats
HK HiFi Loudspeaker System - New
Logic 7 HiFi System
M Multifunction Sports Seats
Rooflining in Alcantara
Ski-Bag
Rear Window Sunblind (Electric)
Rear Window Sunblind + Manual Side blinds
Bluetooth Telephone preparation
Professional Telephone - New
TV Function
Extened Merino Leather, perforated
Full Merino Leather
Sun Protection Glass
Universal remote Control
Windscreen with Green Shade Band
Active Cruise Control will NOT be available on the M5 and extended Merino leather is standard on the M5.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ashok, That is extended Marino Leather, perforated which is not standard on the M5 but required if you want seat ventilation!! Also the Active Cruise Control is in the latest UK brochure for the M5 so has it been removed now?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Charging extra for full and/or perforated leather I understand but extended leather was standard on the E39 M5 - are you telling me it's not standard on the flagship 5 series?! Merino leather is the only grade of leather offered on the new M5. The rest of the 5 series gets the cheaper Dakota leather instead.

Active Cruise requires a large glass lens in the front air dam and I don't see that on the new M5 - they aren't even fitting front foglights...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
What I listed as extra is Perforated Extended Merino Leather which basically means BMW in the UK will charge you just to have the perforations put in the leather without it being Full Merino Leather.

The Active Cruise Control was not in the original pricing but is in the BMW GB M5 brochure so not sure if they have now find a way of providing it on the M5 or whether its a mistake.

·
Registered
383 Posts
JohnH said:
The Active Cruise Control was not in the original pricing but is in the BMW GB M5 brochure so not sure if they have now find a way of providing it on the M5 or whether its a mistake.
The one requirement for Active cruse was auto box, so I guess it could be reconfigured to work with the SMG box. One question is where would they put the fog lamp looking sensors? They said the fogs were removed to allow more air, so it would be silly to put something almost the same size there as an option.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
maybe those panels on the mirrors really are/will be see through for stuff like this?

Although, I suspect it is a typo. BMW's own website will let you build a 6 speed 545 with Active Cruise, so it shows they can make the mistakes!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
posted by JohnH

Here is a list of the original M5 options in the UK:

545i Sport price

Active Seat Ventilation (£810) £775
BMW Assist (£120) not listed
Climate Comfort Glass (£710) £710
Extended Voice Control (£285) not listed
Heated Rear Seats (£255) £245
Logic 7 HiFi System (£515) £845
M Multifunction Sports Seats (£1,235) not listed
Madeira Walnut Trim (£370) not available
Natural Olive Carrara Wood Trim (£370) not available
Protective Glazing (£1130) £1080
Rooflining in Alcantara (£1000) not sure about this one £0 ?
Ski-Bag (£340) £325
Rear Headphone System (£190) £185
Rear Window Sunblind (Electric) (£215) £205
Rear Window Sunblind + Manual Side blinds (£320) £305
Bluetooth Telephone preparation (£460) £385
TV Function (£680) £680
Full Merino Leather, perforated (£5285) not available
Full Merino Leather (£5285) not available
Sun Protection Glass (£285) £270
Universal remote Control (£165) £160
Windscreen with Green Shade Band (£50) £50

All prices in red are from BMW website and the differences may be small per item but when added up make a bit of a difference. Whether BMW have updated their price list since the pdf link that HomerUK posted on the 20/12/04 Im not sure but these cars all have the same bodyshell so most parts as options fit all.

Why do they cost more for M5?? Any ideas!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts