BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, :byee55amg

I am planning to visit London in a couple of month time for the first time in my life and I would really appreciate it if some of you in London can provide me some insider information so that I can plan my travel more wisely.

I am going to be there just about 5 days in total and will pick up my M5 during my stay there. (And then return it back to the dealer at the end of my stay so that they can prepare it to ship it to New Zealand)

I am very concerned about the safety of the car while I am keeping her in London and would like to go extra mile to ensure her well being until I return her back to the dealer. After all, who would want to dent, scratch, or crash a new car in first few days.

First of all, is there any hotel do you recommend? The ideal hotel would be located in safe neighborhood with safe secured car park. Hopefully there are many upscale cars parked around mine so that no one will really pay attention to mine.

Secondly, where can I take M5 to driver her around? Is there any great driving spot close to London that I can really test her out (within Break In Procedure of course) and enjoy beautiful London scenary?

Thirdly, as a tourist to England, where should I must visit within this 5 day short trip. I may never visit London again in my life. Is there anywhere I should absolutely not miss? By the way, I will be travelling alone.

In addition, can you also recommend some great shopping sites where I can shop for electronic gadgets?

Finally, is there any advise you'd like to offer me as a first time London visitor? Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of anything?

Thanks for all your help!:cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
When exactly are you planning to visit? Maybe we can schedule a meet whilst you're here....

:cool:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Excellent idea Ashok! not everyday a New Zealander hits the London streets and picks up a E60 M5. Bring a camera :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be there on about Thursday, 29th of September. That'd be nice to meet you guys in person!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
the only two hotels i know that have an underground car park is The calton Park Towers and the Sherton next to Harrvey Nicloes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Kiwi!

There are a stack of hotels around London of course, I can recommend this one: http://www.fourseasons.com/canarywharf

They have Valet Parking and Underground secure parking. Parking from GBP15 a night to GBP25 for Valet.

Canary Wharf is handy if you have a car, as it is out of the way from the main hustle and bustle. If you head out to City Airport there are some nice little stretches of road there where you can have some fun. But there isn't a lot to see further out East (sorry to those that live out there!). You could head South East down the M2 (not far from Canary Wharf).

I saw my first and only Enzo parked there one day :)

There are some very upmarket hotels around the West End, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want somewhere to put your pride and joy - it is just too busy and will be a stress driving to and from - parking stations are usually pretty old and ****ty.

If you are here for sight seeing and want to drive your car around, then you may be best staying out of London. Or why don't you drive across to France - lovely roads over there.

For sight seeing, there is so much to see in London - but you really would be better off taking the Tube or Sightseeing busses.

You could stay somewhere on the West side of London, but again the West is the busy side (like the Wimbledon area) - or you could go a little further out along the M4 Motorway - there are some airport hotels out there, but they aren't very nice I think. Go a little further towards the Queen at Windsor if you want - I'm sure there would be reasonable hotels that way.

For a nice drive for the day you could head south to Brighton and drive around the coast.

Or head north up to Shakespeare country.

Lots to do!

·
Registered
547 Posts
.ps For electronic gadgets - why don't you fly via Japan - stay 2 nights there (either coming or going) you can be sure you'll get the latest and greatest gear there, for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The Royal Garden Hotel is very well located and just have a look at their car park:

Here's the link:

http://www.royalgardenhotel.co.uk/

Are you going to be around that Sunday? (October 2nd) - if so I'll arrange a meet :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, thanks for all your help.

Royal Garden Hotel sounds good. How about The Park Lane Hotel at Piccadilly?
I have a Starwood Preferred Amex Card that I can earn points if I use this hotel instead. It seems like they also have a underground car park.

Asohk Arora, I think would be there on Sunday you mentioned. Hopefully I can meet you to say hi and grab some lunch or something. I will let you know later after I got a firm schedule.

Thanks for all you guys help again!:flag:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
There is no such thing as a great driving opportunity in Central London anymore :(

If I were you I'd spend a day or two doing the tourist thing in London, then head out in a NW direction for some driving, maybe via Oxford and on up to Stratford (south of Birmingham). If you take some of the old A-roads which run parallel to the M40, they're fairly quiet and good roads (they were the main roads from Birmingham to London before they built the M40 in the 1970s...)

Don't forget to check airline loyalty deals with the various hotels - i.e. not just Starwood points, but airline points if you can use them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts