BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the M5 about 3 weeks ago and the Thermostat needed replacing... Being a very experienced shadetree mechanic, I gathered up all the parts needed,proceeded quickly, and had the the thermostat housing out in about 45 minutes... Pulled the thermostat, which was frozen open, and then confidently made the mistake of deciding to pull the lower sealing ring....Wrong! When I finally got it out, it looked my son's bulldog had chewed it up... Thought I was home free... Then I saw that I torn loose about 2 inches of the ridge in the housing against which the sealing rests. Idiot.... Hoping to finish Monday when I pick up a new housing...

By the way, I found this Youtube video to be the best help in doing this project... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6qrUkYourI

-Chuck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Scott!

So I finished today and appears there are no leaks and no torn O-rings! Also, many of the hose clamps on hoses around the thermostat housing, ( Oil Separator and vacuum hose), were loose. I tightened them all up and was surprised to find the slight surging when idling is gone to the degree that it hard to tell the motor is on when I have the radio on... Also, much better throttle response and power..... Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day and this old fart got lucky!

-Chuck

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Not to derail this cautionary tail, but I'm in the San Jose area until Thursday noon. Anybody up for an impromptu get together Tuesday or Wednesday evening? I'd love to see a few NorCal E39's!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Not to derail this cautionary tail, but I'm in the San Jose area until Thursday noon. Anybody up for an impromptu get together Tuesday or Wednesday evening? I'd love to see a few NorCal E39's!

Hell yeah, I'm game for either night. Need to sort my TPS sensors tomorrow and then I should be good to go...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm in the corner of 101 and 85. Either/both nights work for me, depending on schedules. C4RACER, BrendanSC - you in? :)

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
You should post something in the NorCal owners thread, too.

That area would be good for Mountain View, or Palo Alto...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts