BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i'm in D mode 1st gear does not shift right away, I've driven a e46 m3 smg and it usually shift between 3-4k rpms when your easy on the throttle. Lets say i'm taking off easily it will shift to 2nd great around 6k rpms. I let off the gas around 4k and it wont shift so i have to give it more gas to reach 5.5-6k to shift to 2nd. Is this normal?? Of course when I'm in manual shift i can control this. Any info would be great, thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
yea I have my auto mode in s1 and I too notice this, as you say it seems to require more revs than any other gear to change up hmmm
Guess it must be something to do with the momentum of the car so it doesnt stall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In D1 to D3 my SMG shifts into second gear between 3.5k and 4.5k rpm, with very little throttle manipulation. With more aggressive throttle action the shift points are of course higher. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During lunch time i'm gonna go try D1 and see what its like. Does anyone really drive anywhere lower then D4??? It shifts so damn slow!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
im sure I will be corrected on this if im wrong but I find that it is more a case of how long the car holds on to a gear before shifting rather than how fast the shift is we using the S1-S5. Now I realise that it does shift quicker when up the revs a bit but to answer your question, yes normal driving I use S1 on auto mode (im a lazy bugger) and S5 on the paddles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
During lunch time i'm gonna go try D1 and see what its like. Does anyone really drive anywhere lower then D4??? It shifts so damn slow!!!
I think you'll find most people on this board don't drive in D full stop, unless they are carrying a coffee, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I never drive in D for this reason. When anyone asks me about the transmission I tell them it is great if you drive it like a manual transmission. It does not do the automatic thing well.

I'm not an engineer but I guess that is why true automatics have torque converters etc...

Do yourself a favor and forget that the car even has "D" mode. You will be much happier.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think you'll find most people on this board don't drive in D full stop, unless they are carrying a coffee, etc.
oops I must look like an old granny compared to you lot :haha2:
No I defo perfer the smooth drive in S1 auto maybe its because I was always used to an auto before but I often do have a coffee with me come to think of it:hihi:
This might also explain my good mpg figures as well then...

·
Registered
649 Posts
I never drive in D for this reason. When anyone asks me about the transmission I tell them it is great if you drive it like a manual transmission. It does not do the automatic thing well.

I'm not an engineer but I guess that is why true automatics have torque converters etc...

Do yourself a favor and forget that the car even has "D" mode. You will be much happier.
I dont agree the automatic mode is great when yo find your self in bumper to bumper traffic....
:nono:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I never use auto, and I'm regularly in stop-go traffic living in the so-called city of angels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually experimented over the weekend and if you have it in D-1 or D-2 it shifts just fine right around 3.4k rpms. I just started to worry thinking my tranny sh*t to bed. Thanks for all the help:cheers:

·
Banned
56 Posts
I'm pretty much still a n00b (approx 1600 miles driven) but I find D3 is quite acceptable during the chitty chitty bang bang warm up period. Once all 10 cylinders are actually running, I switch to D5 for the stop/go portion of the commute. I like how D5 holds each gear a bit longer.

On the interstate, it depends on the traffic and conditions but a lot more P500 and S driving for sure.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
CHRISBURNS,

You mentioned auto mode twice with S1! Is this a typo?:confused: Or am I misunderstanding the context of your comment? :dunno:
:cheers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I have the kid in the car, and my wife in the front seat, D1 is all I drive in. For some reason everytime I change to S mode, the formula 1 driver comes out of me. Something I don't wont my wife knowing about. Actually come to think about it my wife has never felt the full force of the V10.... and she has never really asked.

·
Registered
368 Posts
CHRISBURNS,

You mentioned auto mode twice with S1! Is this a typo?:confused: Or am I misunderstanding the context of your comment? :dunno:
:cheers:
oh boy here goes, ok so I know we all like to think we drive everywhere in S6 - DSC OFF - Maxium attack mode, but we dont. Or at least I dont.
As Jase has said for a smooth ride D1/auto s1 is hard to beat and a prod of the M button gives me the supercar when I want it.
Sorry m5baller I feel I may have brought shame to our community and for that I hereby swear to drive in S6 for a full week :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
. Oh contrare, I can shift, left hand or right, just reach over the steering wheel to do it......what we do for a cup of "joe"...:biggrinbounce:
. Ya know, i can't remember the last time i used the car in auto mode...maybe never, I'll have to check it out....

·
Registered
649 Posts
D4 and D5 are my fav.anything less then D4 is just to slow....very annoying

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
oh boy here goes, ok so I know we all like to think we drive everywhere in S6 - DSC OFF - Maxium attack mode, but we dont. Or at least I dont.
As Jase has said for a smooth ride D1/auto s1 is hard to beat and a prod of the M button gives me the supercar when I want it.
Sorry m5baller I feel I may have brought shame to our community and for that I hereby swear to drive in S6 for a full week :M5thumbs:
CHRISBURNS!

Easy...... Thats was not what I was even remotely inferring!lovelove

I read, and I read again..... It sounds as if you are referring to and "S1 Auto Mode." You said, "I use S1 on auto mode (im a lazy bugger) and S5 on the paddles." :confused:

That is why I asked for clarification.:dunno: I don't know, if the European setups have some unique feature in sport the shifts on its own. My comment wasn't about driving style at all. I would never criticize ones choice on style or skills.:nono:

I had a '04 M3 and I preferred the D5 mode often in traffic. With the M5, I rarely use the D mode at all. That doesn't mean its not appropriate to use.;)

So back to my original question, what's up with this S1 auto?:hihi:
cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 20 Posts