BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1pc Competition Carbon Plenum by InfinityAutoDesign

14K views 88 replies 25 participants last post by  ZiMMie 
If only for EAR candy, can the runners be tuned to produce a high pitch intake sound without compromising performance? I wouldn't mind giving away 5 hp, 5 ft /pounds for a hair-raising sound.
Only for EYE candy, can the top be made clear transparent plastic?

My play money budget is gone to the end of the year. So, until 2023 comes around, it's all reading and learning for me, no possibility of heavy investing. Or buying a new CF plenum. Having said that...
I remember from my Porsche 3.6 993 (in a 1970 914-6) days there was Vario-Ram... variable length runners: short runners make good torque at high rpm, long runners make good torque at lower rpm's... hp curves go any which way... I cannot remember... etc. (kindly correct me if I'm wrong).

Since we're playing with a BIG box on top of the engine... can it be configured with short and long passages that open and close according to engine speed? And they can be pointed any way the torque /hp curve changes, towards or sideways or away from the inlet? As I understand, the C8 Corvette engine uses (at least) 3 tuned ports between runners that constantly vary with engine speed.

Let's keep in mind the majority of this forum readers are interested in enjoying daily drivers or weekend cars, very few of us drive pure race cars. An improved intake sound, tuned intake sound... may be much more appealing to S85 drivers than raw torque and hp increases. (am I getting old ?). That's why I just spent over $5000 in a $weet $ounding exhaust system. Don't mind $pending money in an intake if it give$ me some torque, some hp and an infinite amount of joyful $$ound. Just my humble opinion, that may $teer me into spending $$$ into thi$ new intake. And I hope thi$ catche$ the attention of the builder$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.