BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a custom made 1M front bumper from a group buy organized by Boss Cats Design in last September. The original plan was to have Ranz Motorsports in Rosemead/South El Monte mold a new BMW OEM 1M front bumper and a new BMW E60 M5 front bumper together, and paint the finished product in Alpine White.

Ranz made me wait almost 10 months before I got the Sheriff's office involved to pick up the bumper. It turned out that instead of using a new M5 front bumper, Ranz used an old M5 bumper pulled from a wrecked car and butchered the paint job. The tow hook cover wouldn't even sit flush with the bumper.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/363370-terrible-business-experience-ranz-motorsports-rosemead-ca.html

Anyway, I took the front bumper to my shop (AK1 Motorsports in Mintclair) and had them help me with the installation.

With contributions from fellow M5 board member RedRum5 (thanks again Anthony), AK1 did a fantastic job molding the 1M and E60 M5 front brake ducts together. They also fixed tow hook cover fitment and repainted the front bumper to completely match BMW's Alpine White.

AK1 also worked on customizing the carbon fiber lip on my old front bumper before.

Many props to them for a job well done.

Jon

AK1 Motorsports
4804 Brooks St.
Montclair, CA 91763

(909) 591-2600 - Ask for E

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
im happy you finally got the end product you were looking for.

that other E60 youre parked next to....its not a real M5 im guessing right? the mirrors and wheel gap/spacing are a dead giveaway. do u know the owner? i like the color on it, can you ask what it is...im currently doing a color similar to that...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it.

You're 100% correct. The E60 parked next to mine is not an M5. It's AK1's E60 that they completely stripped and painted.

I believe the color is the Laguna Seca Blue from the E46 M3.

You can call them at (909) 591-2600 for more info.

Jon

im happy you finally got the end product you were looking for.

that other E60 youre parked next to....its not a real M5 im guessing right? the mirrors and wheel gap/spacing are a dead giveaway. do u know the owner? i like the color on it, can you ask what it is...im currently doing a color similar to that...

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,274 Posts
Congrats Jon! Glad to hear you finally completed your project!

Reactions: Baby M3

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Glad it worked out in the end even if it did take longer and more money than expected :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks great! I'm glad everything worked out for your installed bumper.

As for the lawsuit... I hope that shop doesn't get off scott free for what he made you go through.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for sharing pics of the finished product. Wow! The front bumper mod really looks amazing, and AK1 Motorsports did an outstanding job fixing what should have been done right the first time (and long ago). Glad to hear everything worked out as far as the final product goes. I am certain you will receive many positive comments on your new setup (and even more, "Where did you get that/have that done?").

Don't mess with M5 owners, and especially those owners who happen to be attorneys! :blink:

Be well, thanks again for sharing the pics, and enjoy the new look of your ride! :checkeredflag:

Kindly,

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Jon,

Looks awesome buddy and welcome to the 1M bumper club! Glad you finally got your bumper corrected and installed after all the difficulties. I hope the legal action comes to a favorable end. I have to say that they did a top notch job on your brake ducts!! Mine aren't nearly that clean, but I'm glad they did them right for you. Now let's get you a front lip so that chin doesn't look so naked!!:grinyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
looks great man! I just read all 8 pages of your problem thread on what happened and now I'm seeing stars when i look away from the computer haha. glad you got it installed and it looks great!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Can I get a number or an email for these AK1 guys? I need to order a set of custom brake ducts as well..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the kind words.

Fiftytwoeighty and ACG:

I am glad the bumper's finally on my car. To be honest I really had mixed feelings when I first received this bumper, especially because it's partly used and Ranz's name is associated with it.

But in the end of the day, I am glad I decided to spend the extra money to complete this project the way it should be done.

Cheers.

Tzzird and AWOL:

You guys are right. At this point I am not inclined to drop the lawsuit.

I really wish I didn't have to resort to the legal process but I had no other viable options after exhausting all remedies. I did everything that I possibly could, including trying to talk to Boss Cats Design and Ranz for at least two months to check on the status of the bumper (and only to receive negative attitudes from Ranz in return); reporting this incident to BBB and Dept. of Consumer Affairs; having a business owner of a well known company in the aftermarket automotive industry talk to Ranz; and warning Boss Cats Design/Ranz of a possible lawsuit with help from my attorney.

I advised Simon more than a few times that what Ranz did was wrong. I told Simon that he might have been innocent of Ranz's problem(s) but he got himself involved in this situation by acting as a vendor and collecting payments from everyone who bought the bumper. Therefore, he would be directly liable for any non-delivery or delivery of faulty products from his supplier, Ranz.

I also informed Simon that as much as I hate to get him involved, he will have to face someone in court because of Ranz: It's either for Simon to make things rights by compensating me for my loss before he sues Ranz, or ignore my request and be sued with Ranz. Unfortunately, Simon made the choice that I hope he wouldn't.

RedRum5:

Very nice! I love the mods on your car, especially the front lip.

Is that a custom made front lip? If so, do you have any info on it? :)

It's funny that you recommended getting a front lip. One of the reasons I talked myself into buying the 1M front bumper is that I most likely won't have to worry about hitting the curb. Now that you got me itching for a front lip, I am back to square one again. J/K! :D

Jon

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem.

When you call their number, dial *1 and ask for E.

Let her know that I referred you. They're nice people and will do a good job for you.

Good luck!

Jon

Awesome! Thanks. I just can't read.. :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thank you guys for the kind words.

RedRum5:

Very nice! I love the mods on your car, especially the front lip.

Is that a custom made front lip? If so, do you have any info on it? :)

It's funny that you recommended getting a front lip. One of the reasons I talked myself into buying the 1M front bumper is that I most likely won't have to worry about hitting the curb. Now that you got me itching for a front lip, I am back to square one again. J/K! :D

Jon
PM sent Jon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts