BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I have been told putting on 19's on the beast would basically mean replacing my tires every 10000 kms. Is this true? I just bought new 18 inch rims, and love them, but I see alot of cars with larger wheels, and I gotta say, I LIKE IT.

I do drive my car about 20000 kms per year, but I can't afford to go through two sets of tires every year.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
947 Posts
korea_7 said:
Now, I have been told putting on 19's on the beast would basically mean replacing my tires every 10000 kms. Is this true? I just bought new 18 inch rims, and love them, but I see alot of cars with larger wheels, and I gotta say, I LIKE IT.

I do drive my car about 20000 kms per year, but I can't afford to go through two sets of tires every year.

Your thoughts?
I wouldnt have said that the diameter of the wheel makes a difference to tyre wear - the side walls will be smaller that may cause some kind of additional wear due to higher stresses etc, but i cant see that a 35 would be much differnt to a 40 profile.

if you were going up in width then i may be able to understand it better -

Main issue with going from 18's to 19's is the additional weight. If doing it make sure you do a good light wheel like a BBS or OZ etc

cheers

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
korea_7 said:

Your thoughts?
Assuming similar weight and proper offset, I don't see why larger diameter would have a major effect on tire wear. You will certainly be more limited in tire size and choices, but driving in a similar style should yield similar mileage. No empirical data, just a SWAG.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Stop listning to morons.

You could keep the same amount of sidewall as well, simply run a 245-40-19 Or somthing like a 275-35-19 sure thats wider and taller but about the same amount of side wall. Just becuz it's biger does not mean it wears any quicker. Next time you hear from who ever told you that slap um.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree, using a 19" wheel vs an 18" wheel should not make any difference in tire wear. Maybe since tires for the 19" size wheel are generally more aggressive, i.e., softer rubber compound, and wear faster than "normal" tires, that's why some people think that it's the wheel size.

Wilkie

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would normally agree with everyone here, but... I just switched from the factory 18s to 19s and am having trouble with tire wear. I had Pilots on my 18s and they lasted about 20k or so. I put SO3s on the 19s and they are struggling to last 10k as of now. I had the alignment done when I got the new wheels and tires... everything was in spec. I am actually a bit frustrated. My driving habits/style has not changed at all as far as I know either. I am sure that some of the difference has to do with the differences in the two tire models, but 10k worth of difference... I don't think so. I am surprised that no one else has experience this... maybe the SO3s just suck at the lasting of the longness.

Eric

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
LeatherMan said:
I would normally agree with everyone here, but... I just switched from the factory 18s to 19s and am having trouble with tire wear. I had Pilots on my 18s and they lasted about 20k or so. I put SO3s on the 19s and they are struggling to last 10k as of now. I had the alignment done when I got the new wheels and tires... everything was in spec. I am actually a bit frustrated. My driving habits/style has not changed at all as far as I know either. I am sure that some of the difference has to do with the differences in the two tire models, but 10k worth of difference... I don't think so. I am surprised that no one else has experience this... maybe the SO3s just suck at the lasting of the longness.

Eric
S03's uses a much softer compound that pilot sports. Doesn't matter what size S03 you use, they will not last as long as the pilots. I've had pilot sports on my 19's for the past 20,000miles, and the tread is holding up fine. Looks like it will hold for an additional 10k miles. If you do a search on the old threads, it's been discussed that S03's are crap on such a heavy car as the M5. They were designed for much lighter cars, and thus the tire wear most people experienced while using them were similar to your results... 10-15k per set of S03's on the M5

·
Registered
92 Posts
That information on the SO3s definately makes me feel better. I wish I had known that before I bought them. Back to Pilots I guess.

Eric

·
Registered
947 Posts
goodyear eagle F1's lasted twice as long as Pirelli 6000's on my old M3. Amazing the difference the brand type can make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts