BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this car worth to you?

Baby number two on the way.. thinking of doing the inthinkable..

Selling my 1995 Euro M5 < 50k miles. Avus Blue .. lack leather interior... ALL options.. Supersprint all the way.. Performance chip and other work.. making this baby faster than the e39 M5. No BS.. Drive it.. don't just take my word.. I raced three different e39M5 with "drivers".. and even on a straight line... Yep! I was shocked too. :). Anyway. I am thinking of selling it and get ... a Range Rover Sport. I know I know....

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=695

I had it appraised at $40k by a professional appraiser.. What do you recommend as a realistic price? It's near perfect inside out..

PS: I put the euro light back and still have the NEW original 3.8 cat that came with the car. (cats were replaced by JK during the federalization process in order to preserve the performance upgrades .. z8 cats!)
located in Potomac MD

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd think its worth at least 35K in that condition with those options.
You will be sorry if you sell it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the feeling. I will be sorry..... I might end up keeping it and trade my 99 740i + 93 Range Rover for a 2000 M5.... How is the e39M5 on snow with snow tires? Any ideas...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
abdoul said:
I had it appraised at $40k by a professional appraiser
That's GBP22,000! You'd better keep it in America then, because in England it would be worth at least £12,000 less than that.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmm i agree with Andy - i'm selling the same car here in the UK and getting offers of £8,000 (that's $14,000 or therabouts...)

If your 'professional appraiser' says it's worth $40k i suggest you offer it to him for a 'quick-profit-for-him' $30k and see if he coughs up... LOL

David.

·
Registered
85 Posts
3.8L M5s are cheaper in England because the British always had access to new/used M5, regardless of the year. Due to the non-import status of the 3.8L, the costly conversion, and the limited amount a 3.8L actually imported into the states (at an approximate EPA/DOT conversion cost of $11K - $15K) a 3.8L M5 will always sell for more in the states, especially the 1995 version. In the last year two 1995 M5s sold on ebay (1 for 33K USD and 1 for 29K USD) A fair comparison is take the price of typical British 3.8L M5 (approx 7000 pounds, conver to US dollars, approximately $13,000, then add another $13K for the conversion, which equals $26,000USD, for a 50K mileage car, I'm sure you'll have to add more. Just my personal 2 cents. What will the future hold for the E34 3.8L M5 as a future collectible, hopefully the handbuilt status and the lack of availability in the states will turn them into expensive collectible (just wishful thinking because I own a 1995 M5 too.)

Garcia

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can't put something up for sale like that when I don't have enough money to buy it :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
With regards to the E39 M5 on snow, I'd have to say it is outstanding. I live in Sweden and have been driving on snow for the last 30 years with front wheel drive as well as rear wheel drives. You would have to drive increadibly fast and stupid to be able to provoce the car off the road if you have anti skid contol on. Good tyres and common sence will keep the car on the road. :1: :wroom:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Supersprint all the way.. Performance chip and other work.. making this baby faster than the e39 M5. No BS.. Drive it.. don't just take my word.. I raced three different e39M5 with "drivers".. and even on a straight line... Yep! I was shocked too. :).

------------------

sorry - Abdoul, absolutely no offence to the above claim, but I am sceptical that even a chipped E34 M5 is quicker than a E39 M5 especially at the higher speeds. :M5launch:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fully understand your skepticism. When I did it the first time.. I suspected the dirver of the e39... then I tried a second time... and even switched cars .. me unbiaisly driving the e39... and the result was the same. the e39 takes off a car length before the e34 but shockingly it catches up and passes the e39! i don't know what the previous owner did to it. but I am not making this up!
Jahangeer said:
Supersprint all the way.. Performance chip and other work.. making this baby faster than the e39 M5. No BS.. Drive it.. don't just take my word.. I raced three different e39M5 with "drivers".. and even on a straight line... Yep! I was shocked too. :).

------------------

sorry - Abdoul, absolutely no offence to the above claim, but I am sceptical that even a chipped E34 M5 is quicker than a E39 M5 especially at the higher speeds. :M5launch:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting.. I will keep the M5 if I can get an e39 as daily driver.. all year long! :)

ilundber said:
With regards to the E39 M5 on snow, I'd have to say it is outstanding. I live in Sweden and have been driving on snow for the last 30 years with front wheel drive as well as rear wheel drives. You would have to drive increadibly fast and stupid to be able to provoce the car off the road if you have anti skid contol on. Good tyres and common sence will keep the car on the road. :1: :wroom:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope so!.. I am more and more inclined on keeping it! :)
Garcia1 said:
What will the future hold for the E34 3.8L M5 as a future collectible, hopefully the handbuilt status and the lack of availability in the states will turn them into expensive collectible (just wishful thinking because I own a 1995 M5 too.)

Garcia

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
abdoul said:
I fully understand your skepticism. When I did it the first time.. I suspected the dirver of the e39... then I tried a second time... and even switched cars .. me unbiaisly driving the e39... and the result was the same. the e39 takes off a car length before the e34 but shockingly it catches up and passes the e39! i don't know what the previous owner did to it. but I am not making this up!
-------------------------------

Abdoul

I am just curious now, but less skeptical... :M5thumbs:
what speed (roughly) before you were passing the E39? and how long were the drag races? how did the E39 drivers react to this? Surprised I'll wager!!

From what I gathered from this forum, the E34 is as quick on the curves, maybe quicker. So it may not be too far from the truth you can beat a E39 M5 in a straight line, upto say 250kmh, then I would put money on the E39's power (as long as it has the limiter taken off).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed.. We raced only for a mile and half.. I presume at higher speeds the V8 will probably prevail. The e39 driver's ego was shattered and he expected to pulverize me.. :). I would say I passed it in third gear pass 5k rpm.We must have reached 180-200 kmh before we stop (ran out of road.. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
648 Posts
What's the word? Sell or keep? I could be interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
dchyde said:
I have been looking for this car since I sold my 1991, which I hated to do. If anyone knows of another 95 for sale, I am in the market.
Good luck finding a 1995 6sp model, they're extremely rare (cost of the conversion along is the actual price of a 1991 M5), if you're ready to spend $25K - $35K then you shouldn't have a problem finding one. For the price of a 1995 you could always add $5K - $7K and purchase a 2000 E39 M5. I just finish the EPA/DOT conversion on my 1995 M5, can't wait to return to the states and drive this car, I'm sure it will not be the same as driving on the European/British roads (boy did I have a blast driving this car on the British roads,) the 6 cylinder
in these cars is unreal, especially after you pass the 3500 rpm, and the sound of that 6 cylinder, sounds more like a racing motorcyle motor. Good luck and when you do find the right one it, after your first ride the corners of your mouth will touch the bottom of your ears.

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
405 Posts
Garcia1 said:
Good luck finding a 1995 6sp model, they're extremely rare (cost of the conversion along is the actual price of a 1991 M5), if you're ready to spend $25K - $35K then you shouldn't have a problem finding one. For the price of a 1995 you could always add $5K - $7K and purchase a 2000 E39 M5. I just finish the EPA/DOT conversion on my 1995 M5, can't wait to return to the states and drive this car, I'm sure it will not be the same as driving on the European/British roads (boy did I have a blast driving this car on the British roads,) the 6 cylinder
in these cars is unreal, especially after you pass the 3500 rpm, and the sound of that 6 cylinder, sounds more like a racing motorcyle motor. Good luck and when you do find the right one it, after your first ride the corners of your mouth will touch the bottom of your ears.

Good luck with your purchase
There is something about the sound and the 50/50 balancing of an e34 M5 that has more of a interest to me. I am sure the e39 is faster and might handle a bit better, but I still am a big fan of the e34. I don't mind doing the federalization, but if I can find one already imported then I would obviously like that better.

I too have done some English countryside driving and understand how that can be a blast. After doing some Authobahn driving through the swiss Alps (which I did in a 316i) was an absolute blast. Could not imagine doing that in a M5.

Blue Skies

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello Gang

Sorry for disappearing. I'd been traveling and working like a dog!.. I am keeping her.. sorry (for those who were interested). I came to my senses after test driving again everything out there... she's just unique... in every aspect. She's in hibernation right now in my garage. I know.. It's not snowing yet in DC area....She'll be out soon... :).

Cheers :M5launch:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts