BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have acquired this super rare 1994 M5 a couple years back. It is Cosmos Black with dark grey extended leather and is one of four preproduction models for the 95 3.8L 6 speed (GD64278). First off, I want to share a little story I have about this car. When I was about 14 years old I used to pick up those free car magazines outside of the grocery stores that show cars for sale and I used to look through them all the time. The one magazine I picked up had and M5 for sale which was one of my dream cars back then. So I cut the ad out of the magazine and I put it on the refrigerator. After about a year my mom misplaced the ad and it was lost for 12 years. One day about 4 months ago I was looking through old pictures that we had at home and the ad fell out from between two pictures. I picked it up and looked at it and after examining it closely, I realized that it was the exact car that I now own. Not going to lie, I did shed a tear haha.

When I first bought it, the car was in decent shape aside from some very minor rust issues. Being the anal person that I am, I decided that it had to be perfect. So order to do that, I stripped the whole car down and sent it to the body shop. I took pictures of the whole process from start to finish. The doors were completely stripped, windshield removed (had fisheye so i ordered a brand new one from BMW with the logo on it), and removed all of the trim. The insides of the doors were painted with the car along with the door jams. It was a very tedious and time consuming process as you all could imagine, but it was well worth it! Car just got done a couple of months ago where it now currently serves as my garage queen haha. Took it to Timmayfest in Columbus Ohio for the first time this past June where I took it to 160mph until I had to slow down! (It was still pulling hard)! Here are the pictures of the car during the process and the final result. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great history! That goes to show how this is a small world that keeps turning around and around... If you really want something and work for it, it will happen!

I just remembered that documentary/book "the secret" about the power of mind etc, it is really interesting

I thought the 3.8 was not imported to the usa, does this car have the nurburgring package? There must be more good histories about this car,
Why don't you call the phone on the ad to try to trace it down?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the 3.8l 5 speed or 6 speed were never brought to the US. I never tried calling the number because i have a feeling that the car is sold hahaha. The guy that I bought it from told me the complete history of the car and all the federalization papers and other history documents came with the car. It was located in Austria before it came to the states.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats for your Queen, She looks great after the refreshment :cheers:

And thank you for your remarkable pre-story with the car -> it's absolutely unique :eek:oohhh: !!
Seems like you've been connected with it from the moment you've cut that magazine ad and put it on the fridge - stunning ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
How do you know that your car is a "preproduction car"?
It was built on 1994-03-11, should not have wide bonnet and grill and other >05/1994 features.

Any confirmation how many cars like that were built before 05/ 1994?

·
10,456 Posts
How do you know that your car is a "preproduction car"?
It was built on 1994-03-11, should not have wide bonnet and grill and other >05/1994 features.

Any confirmation how many cars like that were built before 05/ 1994?
the build sheet does show "photo vehicle" and "protected vehicle data." I think one of our members does have access to look up the protected data.

Reactions: AseanAero

·
Registered
899 Posts
There are a few gray market e34 M5 on the BMW registry that have made it to the U.S. I'm quite sure there are a few more that have not been documented. I have one of the two e39 M5 gray market cars documented there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the build sheet does show "photo vehicle" and "protected vehicle data." I think one of our members does have access to look up the protected data.
Maybe you can ask him to decode "protected data" ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts