BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

up for sale is my 1993 E34 M5. It is a euro spec car with the 3.8 liter engine. 340HP and it feels every bit like it. Only ~84,000km on the clock. I challenge you to find a car in this condition with such low mileage.

I'm an autobroker so I import cars all the time for customers. This is my personal car, I imported it from Japan late last year. It's got full service records up to 50k, and I've spent a fair chunk of change making sure everything is up to snuff, replacing fluids, filters, belts and a few items that needed repairing (rear pinion, sway bar bushings). There is some seepage on the right rear suspension hose, but the EDC works perfectly in both 'P' and 'S' modes, so I'm holding off fixing it until it is necessary.

There is not a chip or scratch in the paint anywhere, and the interior is as close to new as you can get. The two rear trim panels on the door had come loose due to dried out old glue but they have been repaired. The only thing that doesn't work is the rear defroster, but hopefully I'll be able to trace the problem and repair it. Also, the drivers headrest power adjustment is tempermental (sometimes works, sometimes not), but hopefully I'll be able to get it 100% before sale as well. Will have brand new tires as well.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Please contact me with any questions or if you want more pictures. The car is located in Calgary, Alberta. I can coordinate shipping anywhere you like and arrange further inspection (was inspected in Jan for importation) if requested. The car will be detailed in and out for the new owner (engine and interior are a little dirty in the pics).

Price is $25,000CDN, which is fair for a piece of automotive history, and roughly 1/4 of the original price for a car that looks and feels new! As I said, this is my personal car, so no tax, and I will keep it if I can get the price I want and continue to enjoy reading this forum! It is just not a practical car for Calgary, I can only reliably drive it from May-Sept since I do not want to expose it to the salt and GRAVEL they put on the bloody roads here. I already have 2 cars and can't really afford a garage queen like this (though I'll find a way if it doesn't sell). This car deserves to be with someone who can enjoy it when they want and take care of it like the special car it is, which is why I'm listing it here before anywhere else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!
Just took it out to the mountains today, running beautifully. Not sure if you discourage posting what speeds you may have hypothetically reached on public roads , but I was amazed how fast it got there!
Averaged 12.6L/100km on the return trip (big headwind one way, tail wind on the way back) averaging 120kph. Not bad from what I've read about other peoples cars. Should be pretty accurate as I adjusted the OBC as laid out at bmwe34m5.com based on my last full tank (it was reading 20% optimistic!).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUMP!

Still available! Haven't really put any miles on it with all the snow we've had, stuck in the garage until May as I have been afraid of, what a shame.

Open to offers!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good Luck. I just sold my 92 3.8 in Ontario (it has 135k km and like yours my car was mint). It's a tough market for M5's unless they are in the $15k range.

·
10,456 Posts
it's too bad it's so difficult/expensive to get these euro cars into the US, looks like a great example.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From the pictures you've posted I can see the car is in need of a good detailing, but it looks like a car I would be very interested in were the price more in line with the current market situation.

Given how long you've had the car for sale are you prepared to consider reasonable offers under $20,000 yet?

Are you able to confirm the mileage of the car is accurate given that it was imported from Japan?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, it needs a good detail and will get one before delivery! I've actually had some potential buyers request the engine bay NOT to be detailed as they like to see exactly what they are getting, understandably.
I mentioned in the third post that I'm open to offers! Yes, the market is soft, but this is a great car, and I'm not prepared to lose money selling it, so don't bother offering $15k or something. This is a great board too, and I'll continue to enjoy reading and posting here if I can't sell it!
There is no way (that I know of) to officially confirm the mileage. All I know is the japanese drive their cars very little, and the service records and condition of the car are consistent with a low mileage, well maintained vehicle. This is one of a dozen or so german cars we've imported from there in the last couple of years, and it's one of the cleanest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, it needs a good detail and will get one before delivery! I've actually had some potential buyers request the engine bay NOT to be detailed as they like to see exactly what they are getting, understandably.
That makes sense; I personally would rather detail the car myself as I've seen far too many botched polishing jobs.

I mentioned in the third post that I'm open to offers! Yes, the market is soft, but this is a great car, and I'm not prepared to lose money selling it, so don't bother offering $15k or something.
Once I'm confident about of the condition and history of the car I'm prepared to make you a fair offer for it.

There is no way (that I know of) to officially confirm the mileage. All I know is the japanese drive their cars very little, and the service records and condition of the car are consistent with a low mileage, well maintained vehicle. This is one of a dozen or so german cars we've imported from there in the last couple of years, and it's one of the cleanest.
It does certainly look like a genuine low mileage example, though looks can sometimes be deceiving.

Service records I have are in Japanese, which I've had partially translated, I'll have to check when clearances were last inspected. I wouldn't be afraid to at least measure them since I've got a leaky valve cover and already ordered the gaskets. They shouldn't be far out with the 84000km I've got anyway (sure doesn't *feel* like they're off!).
Luxauto said:
I'm concerned with the lack of mention of the worn out tires, leaky valve cover and potential need of valve adjustment in your original sales descriptions. What is the complete list of outstanding issues with the car?

Are there any signs of accidents or paint work?

What options does the car have?

Does it have all of the original manuals? If so, what language are they in?

Is the toolkit complete?

Thanks in advance for the details. :applause:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm concerned with the lack of mention of the worn out tires, leaky valve cover and potential need of valve adjustment in your original sales descriptions. What is the complete list of outstanding issues with the car?
-The reason the tires weren't mentioned in the original post was I was going to include a new set of tires with the vehicle. Not including them has allowed me to give more negotiating room, especially since a few people told me they would prefer one brand over another so I figured I'd better leave it up to the new owner anyway.
-The valve cover only started showing signs of leaking back in April/May. After reading on the forum about the recommended valve adjustment check period, I figured I'd better mention that since that was something I hadn't done, and replacing the valve cover gasket would be a good time to do that! They should be checked, but the way the car runs I doubt would need any adjustment. I retorqued the valve cover nuts and that seems to have helped with the leaking. Necessary gaskets are with the car.
-Finicky drivers headrest adjustment.
-Rear window defrost (not the fuse, drat. haven't picked up a shop manual to check/find the wiring yet)
-Japanese tape deck, works, but radio doesn't get north american frequencies.
Are there any signs of accidents or paint work?
Nada, nope, nothing.
What options does the car have?
I had a link to a website with all the available options that I was referencing but now can't find it. I'll have a look on my other computer later and confirm, but off the top of my head:
-dual power seats, driver memory
-telescope steering
-sunroof
-front and rear heated seats
-rear center console
-rear window shades (manual doors, power rear window, which makes a clicking noise when it closes, like the motor runs longer to make sure it's closed, but it works fine. never use it since the back window is tinted)
-dual auto climate control
-driver airbag
-nurburgring package- EDC suspension, 17x9" rear wheels
-It has remote buttons on the key, which I can't seem to get to work, so it *might* have keyless entry if you can figure that out!
Does it have all of the original manuals? If so, what language are they in?
No manuals sorry. Only the service records, which were pulled out of the manuals it looks like.
Is the toolkit complete?
No, oddly enough. The spare looks like it's never been touched either.
Thanks in advance for the details. :applause:
You're welcome! I've got a copy of the inspection we did when the car arrived and I'll see if I can PM it to you later. If you're serious about the car, I'm happy to arrange an inspection at a bmw mechanic.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump, still open to offers.

Registration/insurance just expired, so I'm debating renewing or just putting it into storage.

Lots of interest from Vancouver, surprised no one came out for a test drive during stampede!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts