BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

does anybody know what other shocks (full set of rear) will fit my car.. and where the best place to get them is.. mine have decided to pack up on me and i dont really want to pay the over priced dealers..... ive been told that the 535i rear shocks will fit or are the same.. also bilsteins and other makes.. but what where when.. if you see what i mean.. many thanks kev..

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you still have SLS and want to keep it you're screwed.
My advise is to ditch the SLS and go Koni's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi there,

sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean as SLS... many thanks ..

mblaster said:
If you still have SLS and want to keep it you're screwed.
My advise is to ditch the SLS and go Koni's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Self Leveling Suspension. When they leak it's time to get new ones or remove them and plug up the system. When you remove the SLS you change your cars rear suspension to basically a 535. If you are performance oriented theres a few options to look into. I'm very happy w/ Koni adjustables.
If you are a purist and have to keep your car stock then you have to replace the leaky shocks. At least SLS is cheaper than EDC shocks to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi There,

many thanks for the advice, i think im gonna definatley look into getting some Koni's for the rear. sorry another silly question, but do are they a standard size, i mean for the E34 5 series.. thanks again, kev.

mblaster said:
Self Leveling Suspension. When they leak it's time to get new ones or remove them and plug up the system. When you remove the SLS you change your cars rear suspension to basically a 535. If you are performance oriented theres a few options to look into. I'm very happy w/ Koni adjustables.
If you are a purist and have to keep your car stock then you have to replace the leaky shocks. At least SLS is cheaper than EDC shocks to replace.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Chris at Dinan tells me that the BILSTINES are the ones to run in the rear ... and the Koni's can be run in the front with custom valving...

I am going to pull my Bilstines out for REHAB...

·
Registered
158 Posts
and I koni/eibach :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I might still have a pair of SLS rear struts from a 3.6 that was pulled apart a few years ago. They were replacements from BMW and are still nice and clean. Would want about a couple of hundred quid the pair. Bloody sight cheaper than the dealers (£1500). PM me if you want me to go and have a look for them. They may have been sold or binned during a housemove!

·
Registered
395 Posts
A word of advice, if you replace the SLS units you'll generally need/want to replace the SLS accumulators as well, these are another $150-200ea.

Have you considered rebuilding the SLS units? The place I asked would have been about $300 per unit from memory but required brand new accumulators installed at the time of fitment to meet their warranty conditions.

I've just been through this and I went a bit silly in the last few years and bought all new OEM front/rear and new SLS gear, the car is not a daily driver so I was able to spread the cost over 2 years... whilst still driving on the leaky shock(s) and keeping an eye on the reservoir.

To me, I've never experienced the car "as new" and I wanted to do so. It was a cost of $7-800 US per SLS unit vs $2440 AU each... I could also justify it in my head because my M5 cost me a fair bit to purchase, being in Australia they're much more expensive... if I'd only spent <$10k buying the car then spending over half that on a 95% suspension/steering rebuild would be hard.

Try BMA Parts for prices, I've always had top service from Patrick and am very happy to recommend him and his company.

Failing that, there's plenty of threads on deleting the SLS gear and replacing the rears with 535i suitable gear. At a bare minimum I'd also replace the top mounts, bump stops and spring pads whilst you're at it, they won't add significantly to the cost and you'll be set for many miles of driving. If you go 535i gear you'll need new rear springs, if you go SLS you'll need to consider replacing your worn springs.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Already have the SLS deleted ... Years ago... though thanks for the decent write up...

I am just rehabing my existing non M5 suspension in the rear... without SLS

I am putting in new Billies and existing Dinan Springs as well as all the new rubber and bump stops

·
Banned
418 Posts
Here are some part numbers for the small bits and pieces...

Shock Buffer 33 531 135 624
Spring Seat 33 531 133 671
Top Rubber ILL HAVE TO GRAB THIS ONE LATER...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts