BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think it's about time to reintroduce Alpina B10 BiTurbo #442. It has been a project of ours for a while now and still is a running project. Some of you that are familiar with Phil's garage may remember seeing it when you've been to him

So one question regarding the registration of the car. On the logbook DVLA have only registered it as a BMW nothing else. What have others got their BiTurbos registered as?

The car is currently parked up as it has a big exhaust leak towards the front manifold Phil's told me the turbos have a crack in one of them. Most likely gonna need the turbos rebuilt anyone got a good link for the turbos for this car?

I've seen a thread that Bumbaclut had up about the work hes done on his looking to do something similar but mines might take some time.

Also since Phil has done the head work on the car he seems mega busy. Is he always like that nowadays since hes expanded the business?

Any help/advice/criticism is welcome

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hiya, do you know if the turbos are cracked or the manifolds themselves? I had mine rebuilt by turbo developments in Brentford including the replacement of both turbine housings which were heavily cracked around the wastegate holes. If you remove the heatshields and start the car you may be able to feel or see the leak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

This is where Phils got me confused he says the turbos got a crack but when I spoke to him last he recommended buying a new turbo ouich

I'm hoping it can be rebuilt possibly with a new housing if thats what it needs. How much did you end up paying for your rebuild so I know roughly where I stand.

I had a quick look yesterday didnt manage to get the heatsheild off is it just the two nuts to open up the cover under the airbox or is it more than that?

thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hello.......... lovely color :goldcup:

my experience with the B7/5 engine is more than some have been through.. total rebuild etc etc.. different exhaust ... tuned and so on

the Turbos on my car was like brandnew......:eek7: just replaced bearing seals etc......

the 4-6 cylinder manifold was cracked............AND IT WILL CRACK ,, one day on all B10 BT depends how hot it will get ,,, if it dont crack you have not been driving .......... achtzen blaue or flat out on an AUTOBAHN long enough :goldcup:

if you have interest how i did it ,, these is a complete thread here on the forum,, or here is a direct link to my homepage..

alpina.123.is : Alpina B10 BT engine | 03.02.2012

here you can see the crack on the manifold.....

it was done by the old style,, with a stick wire... not MIG and it can hold,,,,,,,,,,,,

there is also another solution,, but the cost is hefty..
Exhaust Manifold BMW / Alpina twin-Exhaust Manifold (Set) Exhaust System Turbo Manifold BMW

i wish you well

Best regards

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi, regarding your logbook, mine is listed as an 'Alpina B10 Bi Turbo' next to the make heading while a lot of the other sections are blank. You need to remove the airbox, then the bolts and carefully prise out the heatshields to see the turbos. I'd budget around £500 to £600 per turbo depending on their condition, I had 360 thrust bearings fitted along with new turbine housings ( about £150 each ), new compressor wheels and shafts. When I have time I'll dig out one of the old turbine housings and take a few pictures showing the cracks. Hope this helps,

MIKE.

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Hi, regarding your logbook, mine is listed as an 'Alpina B10 Bi Turbo' next to the make heading while a lot of the other sections are blank.
There is no "standard" for logbook registrations in UK... some B10 BiTurbos are registered as Alpina, some as BMW/Alpina, some as BMW.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i had my turbos rebuilt at the same place my bud mentioned. It cost me about £900. I think what phil might mean is the exhaust housing of the turbo maybe cracked.

The turbo place said to me my turbos had had new exhaust housings fitted sometime in the past as they weren't original. I also had 360 degree thrust washers fitted also

My car was number 445! sadly she is now sold, but i do recall seeing your car there Sam when Phil helped me out a few times on mine when i had some running faults

I've replaced her today with a 6 speed M5 saloon in avus blue. Should fill the bi turbos boots nicely!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ferrari-bmw didn't like green cars but this Alpina green is just amazing looking on the biturbo. Thank you for the pics not I have something to look for.

Haven't had a chance to whip the covers off yet but I got the weekend off so I'll have a little nose around then and see what I can find. Truth be told the way I see it the turbos need to come out to be inspected and seen as the cars done 309,000 km I think its safe to say the turbos can do with a rebuild.

Bumbaclut I saw your thread about your biturbo can't believe you actually let it go after all the work you did to it but ey when the time and the prices right you cant say no. The m5 must be a beast of a car and amazing in that colour.

By the way who do I need to speak to to get the car on the Alpina register? I think it was Kees but not too sure now

thanks

sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts