BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

About a month ago I had an engine failure in my '91 M5- diagnosis- needs new crank and 2 piston rods...... doesn't sound like that difficult of a fix but the motor was a Dinan 3.9 stroker........ parts are no longer available or at least I can't find them. So I have decided to pull the plug on the beast.....

Car will need new engine and Driver seat (I can throw in the existing Leather Recaro for my asking price). However, as I'm sure you all know, the parts in the car are worth a FORTUNE and are becoming very difficult to find nowadays. As an example, a new transmission will cost you about 6k........

Some specs:
never crashed!!!!! but has some developing rust on driver door (can barely see it though)
Black on Grey
Original Paint- exterior in average condition for its age
No Transmission/ Gearbox/ Driveshaft problems!!
17" Racing Dynamics wheels
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Dinan Big Brake Kit (Front) 330mm Rotors and Huge 4 piston Brembos
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension (Spent 4k on this august 2003) with adjustable Konis, Adj. sway bar, Adj. Camber on front. Bilsteins in Rear.
Dinan Stroker (Dead of course but valves, pistons and block are ok- or so the tech says)
Supersprint Cat back Exhaust/ with resonator
New alternator October '04
New Clutch June '04
Inspection II done I believe June '04
New brake lines/Rotors on all four corners in the last year or so
Track Tires (Falken Azenis) on original Turbine wheels
Perf Friction Front/ Rear track pads
4 point Scroth seatbelts
CD Changer
The list goes on and on...............

email me for photos or any other questions [email protected]

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is the mileage of the car? When was the Dinan stroker kit done and where was it installed? Does it have the Dinan badge and are they aware of the condition of the car?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Milage is 125k. The motor had about 65-70k on it. Dinan is aware but "cannot do anything for me because parts are not available through them." Motor was installed at a BMW dealership in NY.
The car does have the Dinan badge and all of the work in the past 3yrs has been done at Dinan in Mountain View, CA.

Jeff Hecox, the manager at Dinan was my primary contact for service and parts- I can provide service records of everything done there in the past few years.

I spent a lot of money on this car in 2004 (about 13k) to get it mechanically perfect........but neither I or Dinan saw any engine failure coming. The motor was only about 9k miles out of an Inspection II. The car had the valves adjusted, new spark plugs, timing adjusted, filters, oil you name it.

Really Frustrating!!!!!!!

Ducman69 said:
What is the mileage of the car? When was the Dinan stroker kit done and where was it installed? Does it have the Dinan badge and are they aware of the condition of the car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts