BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- here's the story. Power steering hose was leaking so I replaced it. When I replaced it, it would not bleed. No power steering. Talked to the local BMW dealer, and tech sad that he suspects I ruined the pump by not first priming it prior to bleeding. (?) I replaced the pump. And primed it before bleeding. Still no work..Do I decided to take it to the shop. They looked at it, said the power steering hose was collapsing. Refused to work on it any further. Charged $300 for that. I guess that means it's sucking hard, but not pressurizing on the other side? They proposed $5000 to fix it, including a new steering gear ("they go bad all the time"- yah right- same thing you said about the pump). The steering gear itself is $1800! So what do you do? It doesn't leak anymore... but won't bleed and has no power steering. Does the M5 have a unique steering gear? 535 gears are much cheaper, and I can find one used, or on EBay. What else might it be? All I did was replace the hose, and it was working before that. I've read things about having to bleed the suspension as well, but it seems to be pumping up OK., ??? help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know a lot of people have seen this post. No answers?
How about a simpler question: Can I use a 535 power steering gearbox on an M5, or is it different? It looks the same on the outside. Alternatively, what's the difficulty of rebuilding a box?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I assume you replaced the high pressure hose. That hose has a flow restricter in the middle of the hose section and that resrticter could be blocked. I suggest you check the hose you installed and do a pressure check on the power steering pump

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume you replaced the high pressure hose. That hose has a flow restricter in the middle of the hose section and that resrticter could be blocked. I suggest you check the hose you installed and do a pressure check on the power steering pump
The hose I replaced was the feed hose from the reservoir to the pump. Does that hose also have a restrictor in it? If not, then perhaps I just need to replace the pressure hose, and all will be well? It's a lot less expensive than the feed hose.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The hose I replaced was the feed hose from the reservoir to the pump. Does that hose also have a restrictor in it? If not, then perhaps I just need to replace the pressure hose, and all will be well? It's a lot less expensive than the feed hose.
Replacing parts is a hard way to troubleshoot a problem. I suggest pulling the pressure hose and test it for flow with compressed air.
Nothing wrong with having a spare p/s hose around but the pressure hose will cost you more than you think.
You could also pull the output hose from the p/s pump and turn over the starter (not with the key or pull the coil wire) to see if it flows fluid.
The hose from the reservoir to the pump does not have a restrictor in the line.
However if debris from the hose you replaced was dislodged during replacement that could plug the flow restrictor in the pressure hose.
I anticipate the power steering pressure hose will cost over $300 from the dealer. I doubt you'll find it as an aftermarket part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts