BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES!!!!!

Got the car back, oil service, 6 speed box & prop shaft installed, with short shift kit (not UUC, and no DSSR - if only the UUC group buy had happened about a week or so earlier, i would have seen whether Robbie had a spare 6sp DSSR before putting the box in).

Haven't driven far yet, but so far, got to say a big improvement over my 5sp box in terms of how it feels, but the the synchromesh on my 5sp box may have been totally f***ed. And no longer does my gearstick and centre console heat up to an astounding level.

Feels quick as well, 1st feels very short tho! I'm still using the 5sp diff - the 3.91, so I don't get the overdrive effect with 6th (if i'd used the 3.23 6sp diff), as 6th will just be the same as 5th was in the 5sp box.

Short shift kit feels good, play is minimal, gearbox feels very solid, altho changing gear takes a fair bit extra effort.

Def considering the strut brace, possible a set of powerflex bushes, then kds allignment, after the few bits of work the oil service has thrown up - like the fact that i've ripped a n/s/r bush - must have been when i had the blowout (was that corner), and some slightly more expensive bits no doubt....

But realy feel the car is getting there now, looking forward to getting the new interior in the not too distant!

wanna go drive it now!!!


:M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I am pleased to hear that it work out well. Congratulations!

What about the amount of work you put in and the cost?

Cheers. :byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
garage estimated work at about £140 + vat, came in as 4 hours work at £156 + vat.

gearbox bought second hand with prop shaft donuts, bolts an all.

for a very reasonable price i think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
illjah said:
YES!!!!!

Got the car back, oil service, 6 speed box & prop shaft installed, with short shift kit (not UUC, and no DSSR - if only the UUC group buy had happened about a week or so earlier, i would have seen whether Robbie had a spare 6sp DSSR before putting the box in).

Haven't driven far yet, but so far, got to say a big improvement over my 5sp box in terms of how it feels, but the the synchromesh on my 5sp box may have been totally f***ed. And no longer does my gearstick and centre console heat up to an astounding level.

Feels quick as well, 1st feels very short tho! I'm still using the 5sp diff - the 3.91, so I don't get the overdrive effect with 6th (if i'd used the 3.23 6sp diff), as 6th will just be the same as 5th was in the 5sp box.

Short shift kit feels good, play is minimal, gearbox feels very solid, altho changing gear takes a fair bit extra effort.

Def considering the strut brace, possible a set of powerflex bushes, then kds allignment, after the few bits of work the oil service has thrown up - like the fact that i've ripped a n/s/r bush - must have been when i had the blowout (was that corner), and some slightly more expensive bits no doubt....

But realy feel the car is getting there now, looking forward to getting the new interior in the not too distant!

wanna go drive it now!!!


:M5launch:
Hey, glad to hear you're pleased with the gearbox, the beast lives on. I should of given you the gearbox oil ,Redline D4 ATF, as well to further improve the shift. Your 6speed illuminated gearknob awaits.
Go drive .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
illjah said:
garage estimated work at about £140 + vat, came in as 4 hours work at £156 + vat.

gearbox bought second hand with prop shaft donuts, bolts an all.

for a very reasonable price i think.
Reasonable???,it was a steal at that price :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
illjah said:
YES!!!!!

Got the car back, oil service, 6 speed box & prop shaft installed, with short shift kit (not UUC, and no DSSR - if only the UUC group buy had happened about a week or so earlier, i would have seen whether Robbie had a spare 6sp DSSR before putting the box in).

Haven't driven far yet, but so far, got to say a big improvement over my 5sp box in terms of how it feels, but the the synchromesh on my 5sp box may have been totally f***ed. And no longer does my gearstick and centre console heat up to an astounding level.

Feels quick as well, 1st feels very short tho! I'm still using the 5sp diff - the 3.91, so I don't get the overdrive effect with 6th (if i'd used the 3.23 6sp diff), as 6th will just be the same as 5th was in the 5sp box.

Short shift kit feels good, play is minimal, gearbox feels very solid, altho changing gear takes a fair bit extra effort.

Def considering the strut brace, possible a set of powerflex bushes, then kds allignment, after the few bits of work the oil service has thrown up - like the fact that i've ripped a n/s/r bush - must have been when i had the blowout (was that corner), and some slightly more expensive bits no doubt....

But realy feel the car is getting there now, looking forward to getting the new interior in the not too distant!

wanna go drive it now!!!


:M5launch:
---------------------

So nice when the fruits of ones labour/spending comes together....

Hope the rest of the stuff goes well, when will you get the 3,23 diff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wane Ramsay said:
Hey, glad to hear you're pleased with the gearbox, the beast lives on. I should of given you the gearbox oil ,Redline D4 ATF, as well to further improve the shift. Your 6speed illuminated gearknob awaits.
Go drive .
Cheers Wane!!:biggrin: The garage topped up the oil as a little leaked out in transit while in the boot - they put 1.3litres in!! Didn't reckon that much had leaked tho. How much oil does a box hold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wane Ramsay said:
Reasonable???,it was a steal at that price :cheers:
eh-hehehehe :biggrin: what the labour or or the price of the s/h parts?
:cheers:

all in its def been a worthwhile upgrade, and at a very reasonable price!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jahangeer said:
---------------------

So nice when the fruits of ones labour/spending comes together....

Hope the rest of the stuff goes well, when will you get the 3,23 diff?
Yeah once i've got the rear axle beam bush that is torn (from the blowout I had a while back) the car is going to be feeling lovely, already it feels amazing compared to how it did. Would like to sort the play in my steering out a bit - the garage higlighted play in my steering idler.... also considering stiffer springs and a strut brace.....

I'm not in any hurry to change the diff at the moment, but if i do, i'll prob use the 3.64 diff off an 8 series. Using the 3.91 diff is pretty good to be honest, makes it quick as - or feels that way anyway. It is much more usable than i'd imagined, and really doesn't feel like it needs to be changed.

Thanks to Wane once again for providing the parts to make it all possible!!!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top