BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove my new to me 1989 Royal Blue Alpina B10 3.5,1 #237 from Vancouver BC to Toronto Ontario with a 5 day stop at Octoberfest.:wroom: Its a J Spec model with only 98,000k. The car ran without any problems,smooth a silk and comfortable as hell. I have a lot to learn about this beast but I am sure I have come to the right place to be educated. The search function has come in handy already a number of times. Quick question for the Alpina owners. Does every Alpina come with an Alpina instrument cluster when it leaves the Buchloe factory? Cheers.Ted in T.O. :Canada:

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I own 2 B10 3.5's, one UK car and one Australian...and I can say, both have similar instruments to yours, bar that mine have "ALPINA" in a decal over the instruments. Alpina has always been recognized by red needles on their dials, so if some member has a photo of an E34 with proper Alpina instruments, please post. The only "proper" ones for E34 I have seen are the B10 BiTurbo ones with the extra gauges...

cb

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Does every Alpina come with an Alpina instrument cluster when it leaves the Buchloe factory?
Instrument cluster, yes at least from some point in time during the history of Alpina. The Alpinas I have seen have an Alpina cluster with blue background and red needles, but not sure if they all looked like that.

Some models also had extra instruments in the form of LED readouts of oil temperature, oil pressure, battery voltage, rear diff oil temp etc.) available, and for some models at least they were an option (not cheap so some customers opted out). VDO manufactured the E36 extra instruments for the B8 and B3, and they probably also did the E34 extra instruments.

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Instrument cluster, yes at least from some point in time during the history of Alpina. The Alpinas I have seen have an Alpina cluster with blue background and red needles, but not sure if they all looked like that.
I've checked part of my picture archive and most (or all?) B10 3.5 doesn't seem to have Alpina text on the cluster. Nor do all of them have red needles... :dunno:

The blue background I believe was introduced with the last 50 B10 BiTurbos so isn't relevant for most E34's...

Some models also had extra instruments in the form of LED readouts of oil temperature, oil pressure, battery voltage, rear diff oil temp etc.) available, and for some models at least they were an option (not cheap so some customers opted out). VDO manufactured the E36 extra instruments for the B8 and B3, and they probably also did the E34 extra instruments.
The E34 extra instruments were located under the cluster. They must have been pretty expensive because I've only seen them on B10 BiTurbos...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I've checked part of my picture archive and most (or all?) B10 3.5 doesn't seem to have Alpina text on the cluster. Nor do all of them have red needles... :dunno:

The blue background I believe was introduced with the last 50 B10 BiTurbos so isn't relevant for most E34's...

The E34 extra instruments were located under the cluster. They must have been pretty expensive because I've only seen them on B10 BiTurbos...

What :eek:h:.. i thought all ALPINA had red needles

There is a big difference vs BT and B10 3.5 in performance ,, so IMO i think the digital info in this extra cluster was also a wise idea for the drivers info when full performance were used

like boost pressure ,, and oilheat .. but diffheat is not so importand IMO.. but the oilcooler was not a bad idea,, but oilpressure was clever also

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi folks,

it is right that nearly all of the B10 3.5 E34 as well as the B11 3.5 E32 had white needles. Alpina did not change the instruments for these models. Only the last units ( don't ask me from which prod. no. on ) were sold with red needles. Kees, you're right. The blue blackground was introduced by Alpina for the last 50 units of the BT. And you could order the digital info as well for the B10 3.5 (showing the battery voltage instead of the boost). I will search for some pictures.

kind regards,
Ralf

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the same instrumentcluster only mine goes up to 280km/h also with white needles and black background

I want to paint the needles red and the background blue but i´m still looking for the right collor blue does anyone know this

·
Registered
453 Posts
My B10 3.5/1 #396 has red needles as does my Biturbo, #177. Not sure on the B10 3.0 Allrad or the E32 B12 as I don't have a picture here of the clusters (at work). I think the allrad had white needles though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts