BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Small update. Got the car out yesterday and today. Still having a stumbling issue, but haven't had time to diagnose it with it living in a separate storage unit. Most of my spare car time has been keeping one or both of my other cars drivable for my 90+ mi/day commute.

It seems like it is stuttering/stumbling and after confirming the AFM is in good shape, I will next look to plugs wires, cap/rotor and spark plugs. I'm thinking about 02 sensor although unplugging it made no difference in performance, it did use up more fuel (something I read should happen). I am hoping the cat isn't plugged up.

Symptoms are:
slow to rev up when in gear
stutter/bobbling feeling when on full gas
jerky power delivery when at low rpm
lack of crisp, smooth revving characteristics

I do know that one of my spark plug wires is damaged at the terminal/plug connector end. Hoping to get some replacements when I have a chance to spend some more time with it. For now, however, it runs ok and I wanted to make sure that the issue wasn't just bad gas.

I drove it to work and snapped a photo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I expercienced, some of the same symptons on my e34 M5, jerky power delivery, stutter on full throttle, slow to rev up.
This turned out to be the TPS. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ended up being a fouled spark plug. Spark plug wires were also suspect.

New plugs (gapped and replaced), wires, cap and rotor seemed to do the trick. I didn't have time to look at it, so a friend worked on the car and also did a compression check. 150 140 150 150 145 150. At elevation, I think this is a pretty average number for a car at 150k miles.

It has been nice to drive to work all week in this one!

I may throw the stock wheels back on next week. I have been working hard at planning an executing the following BMW meet. The website shows some neat photos, but we also have some sellable stuff, and a great collection of BMW-related articles, so check them out: Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet

Now with over 75 cars attending the event from 10 states, D4C 2014 will again break attendance records!! I know more are planning to come, yet haven't registered-- what are you waiting for??

See the whole list of cars attending here: 2014 Attendee List | Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet

Oh and we have a special shirt design only available in person at the event:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
What a great weekend, we had officially 98 registered vehicles at Drive 4 corners BMW Met. We had over 80 cars make it on our drive, and over 90 throughout the entire weekend. I had a blast and was very happy to see all those who were able to make it out to Pagosa Springs.

I have been working on a few things with photos, D4C website, new house, and a new BMW for the GF, so I have been quite busy.
But in the meantime, here is the 2014 Drive 4 Corners Video Review. Thoughts/comments welcome:

More photos and posts to come in due time, but if you want to browse, take a look here at our Gallery: Photo Gallery | Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet[/url]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Tom, come autocross the M5 this weekend at PPIR! I've got a free set of Hancock rs3's you can shred!

So Tempting Eric!! I am so close to being able to do one of those although I'm not sure If I am confident enough to do it in the M5 just yet with blown Accumulators....

Been knocking out to-do items and I am getting much closer!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I thought I'd share some photos from my latest adventure of Drive 4 Corners 2014. It was a great time for all, and we once again broke attendance records. I know a few people were interested in seeing some detail regarding the event and I figured it would be more enjoyable for you all if I keep the focus on my E28 M5 that brought me there. Well the event sort of has been become a tradition with my brothers and dad who all came and drove their own BMW's. Interestingly we all have driven multiple vehicles there now after being a total of 4 years of the BMW gathering. It is unique to experience the elevation change and great driving roads in such different cars. I have driven the Euro 635, E28 535i and M5, but I have also driven portions of the route in an E23 745i, and Z3 2.5.

For all of those who couldn't make it this year who wanted to come, you were missed for sure!

I initially thought I would be able to bring my Euro 635, although this was not a popular choice with the girlfriend (black on black, no AC), plus I have some maintenance items I have been behind on.

In short, I was in process of purchasing a house leading up to D4C 2014, with my closing exactly one week before the beginning of the event. So this meant I was a very busy guy leading up to the event itself.

I still managed to clean up the M5 with a claybar, wax and good deep cleaning in its new home:

It cleaned up decently well for only a couple of hours spent on it. The car had been in storage for the past year with only probably about 600 miles over the previous 8 months. Dave Stackhouse here in CO helped my diagnose the fouled spark plug and helped me source wires along with replacing cap and rotor just a few weeks prior to this.
The car stills runs completely stock with the SLS besides the m-stitched steering wheel and E34 M5 rear brake upgrade. I'm sure many of you have seen the photo progress of the past few years of this car. Now it is just past 153k (after the trip) and I decided to revert back to the stock wheels for a subtle look.

We had to stop in downtown Denver real quick before our meeting point

Caravan meeting in south Denver. We had almost 30 cars-- some only joining us for part of the route.

We split into two groups and drove as a group one hour south into Colorado Springs for another gathering point.

About 250 miles to our destination made for a great variety of roads as we drove in packs of BMW's.

At our lunch stop in Salida, CO

My friend with a Z1, he also has the coolest BMW tattoos (507, M1, Isetta, 328, roundie taillight, etc)

The drive from Colorado Springs goes through Canon City, CO and winds through TX creek and gives a great ride through a twisty canyon. The problem with this is that it's too exciting to get photos!!

Video of our caravan in South Fork: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154501532590014&set=vb.646745013&type=2&theater

Creating a BMW traffic jam in town

The DIY carwash was a big hit

Another E28 M5 showed up late in the night and was ready for a trek up to the top of the mountain pass, and his M5 looked ready for the challenge.

The drive up the pass is a blast, there is almost no time for photos, but good thing there is such a thing as a gopro. Footage in the video (later in this post)

The weather atop the pass was perfect. No direct sunlight and no moisture either!

Found me!

TravisJ made it too

There is something about a stock US e28 M5 that is great to look at...

Our group shot atop the Continental Divide. Not everybody made it to the top, but we had over 80 cars here.

Down the pass was much more relaxing rather than driving further on the extended drive. Anyway we had plenty to do at the hotel in preparation for the late afternoon

Taking some video footage

Some neat cars made it out to Pagosa Springs. this is my dad's 850i manual.

The Z1 with a hardtop is a neat vehicle, especially when modified by Weismann

I ended up relaxing another day or so and exploring in Durango, CO and a few other spots. I headed back on Tuesday so that I could get back to my new place
A great shot heading back towards Denver.

To try to capture the vibe of what the event is all about, I put together some video footage of the people, the place, and the cars. So here is the D4C 2014 Event video, I hope you like it! Feel free to give me constructive criticism!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tPUBJ63sW8
Full article of the 2014 event in review, which gives some additional detail regarding D4C 2014: 2014 D4C Event In Review [LONG] | Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet

The car did great with about 825 miles round trip and an average of over 24mpg, which was quite good! :biggrin:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So I have been busy with moving into a new place and working on it, but I had a chance to get a few things done on the M5. With lighting now in the garage, I could spend some time on the car.

A couple of simple tasks to begin with:
I replaced the Heater Valve so the car actually puts out heat into the cabin. Next, I replaced the fan/ fan clutch.

The I started tearing the bumpers apart to see how I would like a Euro bumper conversion. Geordi was able to get me some bumpers that seemed reasonable to me and so I begun test fitting them.

Stage 1: Remove US rear bumpers, mock up Euro.

I still need to figure out how I want to mount the passenger side bracket (as the bumpers came with early series 1 bumper brackets and I don't want to hack into the body to install them).

It looks pretty good except for the gaping holes from the US bumpers. Will deal with that later, as I was just trying to test fit.

Stage 2: Remove US front airdam/bumper. You can see photos above with what it looked liked before. unfortunately I was not happy with how the bumpers were sitting.

I have been patiently waiting to get this bad boy on there. Mocked up Pfeba Spoiler and Euro headlight conversion. Still working on all of this, but I wanted to share my progress. I need to find a solution for the front bumper brackets, but ideally, would like to retain the stock mounting holes. I am not sure about this as one of the frame rail has been tweaked. It may not be positioned 100% correct, so I may go the route of some custom mounting brackets specific to my car... In the mean time I may just mount up the US turn signals and drive around like this for the week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So i have spent some of my spare time on the car here and there. It has been slow progress, but it is progress!

I started out by custom making some bumper brackets to allow the Euro bumper to mount to the US mounting rail. I had soem issues getting the Euro bumpers apart to get the original mounts apart, but finally got it.
Getting the bumper brackets made was through my work in my spare time. I used some photos online and then took some measurements of my front end. Since it had been tweaked, I knew the drivers side may have some trouble getting fitted. After some hassle, I finally got it in place.

The brackets are made of ~.090 Aluminum 6061 sheet cut and bent.

After finalizing my work bench, it was great to use as a priming location for the bumpers. These were used and not perfect, but I figured they would be good enough for me when painted.

Apply the paint after scuffing the primer.

Here are some photos after being mounted in place. At this point I still had to add the cutouts for the turn signals.

I plan to just have some blanking plates made for the rear-- I am not ready to pony up and have a euro rear valance installed.

Next up was a used Pfeba that I got from a friend. Unfortunately even after he had walnut blasted it, it still had plenty of gouges and needed lots of work. Being my first time, it took lots of time, and although it isn't perfect, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Started with the orbital, but then went at it by hand as I built up the layers in the gouged locations.

Then to mock it up for good measure:

Continuing layering with different color primer

I probably primed and sanded 10+ hours on this unit, but I wanted to make sure it would turn out better than before.

I got some parts in the mail, so I was able to get the city lights wired up, along with the cut outs of the turn signals. I have not yet decided if I want to modify the frame rails to accept the turn signals, although I will most likely do this at some point (I'm just not sure when). Right now it is just blanking plates.

Better pictures to come as I finalize everything. Still small details to iron out, but it is coming along!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
So i recently took the M5 up to the mountains on a particularly cool day last weekend. I had just recently gotten the heater valve replaced, so I was thinking the car would be great in to the cooler weather for once because before, the cabin would never heat up when needed. Usually this isn't a problem since I don't drive it in the winter.

Well I noticed that the temperature never really got past the edge of the blue in our 25 degree morning. Check the coolant level, all was good. As I approached the destination, the temperature got up into the 40's and the engine warmed up slightly. This got me thinking thermostat. So i ordered a replacement (it seems the stat is exclusive to the m5, part# 11531307737). Upon disassembly tonight, I found the thermostat damaged/broken-- I am pretty confused how this would happen, but it is interesting none-the-less.
See photos below.

This is a Wahler brand, and says BMW 80 degree 1307738. Right at 153k miles. Any reason to believe this isn't the original?

Will require some good cleaning!! Going to take to work and monday and get it all cleaned up where we have some good solvents.

Not sure yet what I want to do about the holes in the rear.

New thermostat comes tomorrow, then hopefully I will have it back on the road before attacking the SLS repair. I have some used Accumulators that I have been planning to swap out. I haven't taken many more photos, but I probably should. I am somewhat unhappy with the Pfeba spoiler, as I think it is for early model E28's that have a differently shaped valance. It doesn't quite look right and I couldn't get it to fit any tighter. Not sure which way I want to go...

61 - 72 of 72 Posts