BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

i've always loved the early M5's and this example looks spectacular! what shoud the seller expect to receive for his M5. $22,500 seems real high:

http://www.eucalifornia.com/88m5/

Thanks for your input!

(I'd have to sell my 2003 540i 6-speed M-Tec!)

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
That is an incredibly clean looking car for the mileage i.e 151,000 miles .

The mods are reasonably tasteful , although beauty is always in the eye of the beholder ......

I can't comment on value for the USD , as the prices tend to be so much different to the UK , even though only 187 examples were built for our market .

The reported number of US cars , excluding Canada's 134 , was 1256 .

Is this example rare and desirable enough to make you sell your dull old 2003 540 ......only you can answer that !

D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Geez this car is clean - good luck with 22.5 - I hope he can get it. It looks spectacular

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only way anyone would pay above 20k is if this car had the eurospec engine at 286hp. Actually at this price one can find a pristine E28 in europe and still have enough for the federalization process...still some left over for new wheels/mods? and a M5 with lower miles??? please correct me if I'm wrong...how much are LHD ECE E28 M5 today in EUROS??

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
The only way anyone would pay above 20k is if this car had the eurospec engine at 286hp. Actually at this price one can find a pristine E28 in europe and still have enough for the federalization process...still some left over for new wheels/mods? and a M5 with lower miles??? please correct me if I'm wrong...how much are LHD ECE E28 M5 today in EUROS??
According to Classic Data

Condition 4 (restoration object, but drivable): Euro 4k
Condition 2 (very good condition comparable to a three year old car): Euro 17k5

A Condition 1 (comparable to new, no sign of wear and usage) commands 50% to 100% more investment then a condition 2. These cars are very rare. If the particular car has a low mileage or an individual equipment, one may add 50% to the indicated values.

With other words, anything between 4k and 30k Euro's depending on mileage, condition and equipment. The majority are offered within the 8k to 12k Euro price bracket. A Euro 8k car is likely to be a condition four car whereas a 12k Euro car is likely to be a condition 3 (used, but properly maintained) car. With other words, I would shop in the higher price ranges unless one knows where one gets himself into.

Given the current US$ to Euro rate, I doubt that importing a Euro car makes much sense today, but that is off course a personal concideration. This fact alone gives the well kept US cars of the DC93 model a significant advantage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Given the current US$ to Euro rate, I doubt that importing a Euro car makes much sense today, but that is off course a personal concideration. This fact alone gives the well kept US cars of the DC93 model a significant advantage
but as far as collectors/enthusiasts are concerned, isn't DC91 much more prized than DC93? Isn't it all about the M88 engine? wouldn't a condition 1 DC93 be comparable to a condition 3 DC91?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
but as far as collectors/enthusiasts are concerned, isn't DC91 much more prized than DC93? Isn't it all about the M88 engine?
Personally I agree with you, but others may prefer a DC93. We all have our arguments and I can fully understand that those seeking a driver car for weekend or daily purposes have a preference for the DC93. It is easier to service.

wouldn't a condition 1 DC93 be comparable to a condition 3 DC91?
Values are so much different on each side of the pont. Any enthusiast must decide for himself what he is prepared to pay to enter DC91, DC92, DC93 or DC98 ownership. Blindly following the markets never is a good idea as each car has to be weighed on its qualities and shortcommings. For 8k one can take a gampble, but when more serious money is involved one wants some reassurances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts