1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Er... B6?

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Wow, from a former E21 owner many years ago (and a heavily modifed one too), that thing is just beautiful! I would consider looking at it if he was asking $15k or so, but at $28k, I don't think it is worth it, at least in the US.

·
Registered
69 Posts
e21 B6

Right! $28K is a lot here in the USA. However, I believe that is the same e21 B6 that sold on eBay out of California 2 or 3 years ago for the same $28K. Maybe he is just trying to break even on his earlier purchase...... I understand that as I would love to break even on my older e24 Alpina purchase too. However, the market for older Alpinas here in the USA is so very small.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you're right, the market here is small for Alpina's or better yet there is a large market for "cheap" alpina's, but no market to sell the cars for what they are probably really worth. I think to get his price he'll have to sell to Europe, the euro is high enough he may find a buyer close to what he wants.

I like the fact the old post for the car says Pierburg DL parts are impossible to find........ Hmmm ever call Alpina??? They have em or at least can rebuild them. Sure the parts aren't cheap, but either they have them or can source them. Then the car would be restored correctly.

I have found and sourced 2 or 3 extra DL systems over the years, they aren't impossible to find, but I would say it does take some time to locate them. With the internet as it is today sourcing rare parts gets easier not harder. Years ago when I found my spares it was by more word of mouth than anything else.

This car would be worth more with the correct DL injection system on it. It is a nice looking car, not sure I could afford to buy it anywhere near that price though. If it was a turbo car (not that the E21's came that way). It might be almost worth that price.

WH

·
Registered
291 Posts
The B6's in particular seem to be a bit inflated, WH, certainly when compared to similar vintage B7's. (Note the B10 Biturbos sell pretty strong.) I still think it's the fear factor that kicks in and keeps folks away. As you point out, though, parts are not really all that horrible, even for the much-feared Pierburg. It's only costing a few hundred more to have my DL rebuilt right now than it would to buy a new Bosch unit for my old 323. (Of course, I have to wait for my unit to be rebuilt, since there are no DL cores left on the shelves at Alpina at this point due to attrition and parts hoarding).

There was an 81 B6 that was brought over from Japan recently. Complete, working original car, but a little rough. Was asking $14k, and probably got it. I got my B7 for that at the same time, so the B6 hardly seemed worth it in that light. This red one went for $28k on eBay last time, and I'm sure the current owner is only trying to recoup that, but it may be tough outside the arena of the 'last minute bidding frenzy'.

As someone who really likes the earlier stuff, I would like it much better with it's original injection, too, even though the motronic upgrade was done by Alpina.

And it's a good thing there's something I don't like about it - ever since it came on the market 30 minutes from me, I've been struggling to find a reason to discount it, so I wouldn't be tempted to go/look/buy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Makes my B8 a bargain at €23k! (much rarer, only 27 tourings made).
Rarity, even if not totally true, is not the unique criteria here. A very strong passion of a small afficionados group for a car that significantly stirred up the BMW landscape is the key. Don't forget the fresh 323i with its double exhaust,proud 143 bhp and very good performance... It did immediately set a new mark and did remain the reference for tons of journalists and car magazines...

The E21 B6 lover is a true and passionate person who does not care about wood, aircon, leather seats and other comfort items that now are Alpina typical. A B6 owner looks for a totally different feeling. Don't get me wrong please Tinker, but I know, for sure, some people who would prefer buying a top B6 in @ 23k rather than buying a B8 Touring for that price. I belong, for sure, to this (very) old school of sick people who still keep on dreaming and I am almost convinced I also would prefer buying a B6 :cool:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yannick, I know where you are comming from, but I'd rather have a E30 B6 3.5 than a E21 sorry .... (although I may change my mind if I drove one 218 bhp for post 81 Alpina B6 sounds like real fun ...)

I am in the process of putting back on the road a E21 Bauer and a 2002 touring, and TBH I prefer the 2002 ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
. As someone who really likes the earlier stuff, I would like it much better with it's original injection, too, even though the motronic upgrade was done by Alpina.

And it's a good thing there's something I don't like about it - ever since it came on the market 30 minutes from me, I've been struggling to find a reason to discount it, so I wouldn't be tempted to go/look/buy.
Mike at least from the picts posted above in this link, it looks like it has been retrofitted with Bosch L-jet, not motronic. That is what the later B6's from Alpina had.

I would really like to know if Alpina did the conversion or not. It seems from what I've read the car had the DL system on it when last in the USA (the original ebay auction said this but I don't have picts to verify), and when the car was rebuilt the "restorerers" in CA installed the L-jet system. That is the rumor. I think saying Alpina retro fitted it was a good way to justify the change, but Alpina never did the work. It is after all a quick and easy bolt on, no special parts needed, only a euro spec 528i or 6 series which can be had as a complete car for $500.

I myself don't see why a E21 B6 would go for this kind of money ($28K large). I mean it is after all a normally aspirated engine, and it's basically a stock euro 2.8l L-jet engine (178 hp stock) dropped into a E21. Sure Alpina maybe mildly re-worked the head and probably installed slightly larger 282 cam to get the odd hp increase, but for the most part the engine is stock BMW.

I had advertised my E12 and E24 B7 turbos for about $10K less each last year in the USA for sale. Funny everyone said I was asking too much, and all I got was low ball offers, not one serious buyer. I can see now I'm raising my prices by $10K and sitting on them till they sell. I've always undervalued my cars and won't do it again. There's a E28 B7 for sale in the USA now and asking price was like $37K, not that he may get it.

WH

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I saw that E28 in the Roundel for $37k -- can't imagine him getting such a price for the car. If it truly is pristine and someone in Europe wants it for €25k...maybe. For any cars that were "converted" in some fashion for US safety and/or emissions compliance, I doubt there is much of an interested market in Europe for them.

The problem with rare Aplina cars here in the US is that they lack the strong emotional connections since the cars were never sold here back when they were new (only gray market, and many shady conversions tainted that some back in the day). Something like the original Dietel 332i (with many Alpina parts) perhaps might have some connection -- I can still remember salivating over the road test of it in Road and Track back in 1978 when I was in college. :)

If you have the staying power, it is probably best to just hold them very long term. That's what I would do anyway.

Chuck

·
Registered
291 Posts
WH-
My bad on the motronic vs L-jet. I haven't researched too much on post-Pierburg things.

My understanding from recent correspondence with the previous owner was that the car had in fact gone back to Alpina post 81 and got a Sheel driver's seat and the engine upgrade. Only the paperwork would verify for sure.

And you're right - before I'd pay $28k I'd build my own with a 3.5L M30 for a much faster driver.

Chuck -
Interesting point on Alpinas not packing much emotional punch or connection for us here in the States.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Chuck -
Interesting point on Alpinas not packing much emotional punch or connection for us here in the States.
Yeah, I think it is a huge component in "old car" values in the future. I think the E39 M5 will have that going for it in 20-25 years for example since it was an incredible hit on the market, emotionally -- similar to the E30 M3 now, and to a lesser extent the E28 M5 and E24 M6. I remember vividly those days as at the time I had a heavily modified E3 (Bavaria), heavily modified E21 and an E28 535i and was very active in track events and autocrosses with the CCA up in the DC area. The M3 has grown in stature even beyond what it had when it was new in my opinion. At least I wasn't ever seriously impressed with it in stock form when it was new -- heck, even Ray Korman racing E30 M3 chassis #1 at Summit Point in the Firehawk series only turned lap times 3 seconds faster than I could in my Bavaria. :)

Chuck

·
Registered
370 Posts
The story on the Fuel inj system. On the original build sheet From Alpina

Car was received by Alpina 13.06.79 and it was fitted with Einspritung (Fuel sys) L-Jet-B and the Zundung (ignition) Hartig.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mike at least from the picts posted above in this link, it looks like it has been retrofitted with Bosch L-jet, not motronic. That is what the later B6's from Alpina had.

I would really like to know if Alpina did the conversion or not. It seems from what I've read the car had the DL system on it when last in the USA (the original ebay auction said this but I don't have picts to verify), and when the car was rebuilt the "restorerers" in CA installed the L-jet system. That is the rumor. I think saying Alpina retro fitted it was a good way to justify the change, but Alpina never did the work. It is after all a quick and easy bolt on, no special parts needed, only a euro spec 528i or 6 series which can be had as a complete car for $500.

I myself don't see why a E21 B6 would go for this kind of money ($28K large). I mean it is after all a normally aspirated engine, and it's basically a stock euro 2.8l L-jet engine (178 hp stock) dropped into a E21. Sure Alpina maybe mildly re-worked the head and probably installed slightly larger 282 cam to get the odd hp increase, but for the most part the engine is stock BMW.

I had advertised my E12 and E24 B7 turbos for about $10K less each last year in the USA for sale. Funny everyone said I was asking too much, and all I got was low ball offers, not one serious buyer. I can see now I'm raising my prices by $10K and sitting on them till they sell. I've always undervalued my cars and won't do it again. There's a E28 B7 for sale in the USA now and asking price was like $37K, not that he may get it.

WH
I'd challenge anyone to show me a car produced after 78 with the DL injection. I believe Alpina scrapped the DL system after the first production year of the B6 cars and went to the L-jet. I have only seen one car, which was a 78 fitted with the DL system. Maybe that was a standard press release that was never updated, but coming from someone who owns a late 79 and an early 81 (both first series cars), both my cars are fitted with the L-jet system. From what I heard, the DL system never really performed the way Alpina wanted it to, so they scrapped it early on. Same goes for the ignition system. The first series cars are said to have the Hartig ignition system, but some time in 80, they switched all the cars over to the E28 distributor based ignition. My 79 has the Hartig unit, and the 81 has the Alpina timed distributor unit.
It sure would be nice if Alpina would get involved in some sort of website database to inform people as to when changes and upgrapdes were made to the cars, with parts lists etc. As far as parts, there is less than you think available for these cars. I know the Hartig parts are no longer being produced but some are still available from Alpina. (Hartig was bought by Bosch, and they no longer produce parts for Alpina). I was told by Alpina that I bought the last distributor they had, so that is no longer available, but one could set the timing of a regular distributor using the Alpina unit.
According to Alpina, many of the parts for these cars were produced by small companies that Alpina contracted to make parts for them. These companies, are either no longer in business, (exhaust, seats, ignition etc), or no longer produce the parts for these cars.
This car for sale is very nice, although its missing two major components. The incorrect driver seat, and the missing rear mufflers, will be extremely difficult to replace. The first series Recaro seats dont come up for sale to often, nor do the rear mufflers.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I hope he gets the 28k for it. I looks very nice. And it is time for the value of Alpinas to start rising.
Here is the question on value for US Alpinas and Alpinas worldwide...how do you judge value? I know what I have in that 37k B7 listed in Roundel. I believe I have a since of what value is and the rarer a car is, the more value the car should bring. I battled for days on what to ask, and at the end the car may be on the high side, but I know what condition the car is in and that everything works and that all Alpina items are in check. I also know that unless someone speaks up(as I have been waiting for this for a long time) there is not many B7 Turbos here in the mileage range that this car is, under 100k miles. But here is the thing, the main thing. If these cars start selling for this kind of money, isn't this what we all as Alpina owners are striving for? I certainly do not and will not just give the car away. I see some B9s that have sold for big money, so why shouldn't a B7 Turbo one of only 246 produced not sell for much more?
Geez look what B10s are fetching......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts