BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the past threads on tyre sizing/recommendations for 19" rims but am still unsure which to order. I have stock suspension but may change in the near future to AC Schnitzer or K&W.
The rims are 19x9 +20mm offset fornt and 19x10 +27mm offset rear.
I would like to keep the sizing as close to stock as possible but would go bigger if necessary. I have seen a few of you guys have gone for 285/30 for the rear, any rubbing issues and on a similar note, 255 and above sizing, do you have much tramlining going on.
If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated, recommended sizes and makes would be great, cost is not making my decision for me, just want excellent tyres

·
Registered
213 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
I have read all the past threads on tyre sizing/recommendations for 19" rims but am still unsure which to order. I have stock suspension but may change in the near future to AC Schnitzer or K&W.
The rims are 19x9 +20mm offset fornt and 19x10 +27mm offset rear.
I would like to keep the sizing as close to stock as possible but would go bigger if necessary. I have seen a few of you guys have gone for 285/30 for the rear, any rubbing issues and on a similar note, 255 and above sizing, do you have much tramlining going on.
If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated, recommended sizes and makes would be great, cost is not making my decision for me, just want excellent tyres

Baldy,

If you want to do a comparison of new v old for rolling radius and speedo readout etc try this excellent site...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

When I had 19's they were 275/30 rear and 245/35 front P Zero Rosso/Corsa - ride was very harsh compared to stock 18's.

With the wheel specs you listed being half and inch over stock you may need slightly wider tyres or they may look odd and stretched at the edges if you get my drift?

-Steve

·
Registered
754 Posts
I recently replaced my stock setup with 19" Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. I have 255/35/19 on 9" wide fronts and 285/30/19 on 10" rears.
The fit is excellent, but the ride is much harsher than on the stock 18" rims.
Small tradeoff for the wide, low stance.
Please refer to this Tirerack page for the F1 tire sizing:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
howler said:
I recently replaced my stock setup with 19" Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. I have 255/35/19 on 9" wide fronts and 285/30/19 on 10" rears.
The fit is excellent, but the ride is much harsher than on the stock 18" rims.
Small tradeoff for the wide, low stance.
Please refer to this Tirerack page for the F1 tire sizing:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Eagle+F1+GS-D3
I have the same exact rim & tire sizing as Bob. My rims are HRE rims, which were custom made for the E39 M5 sedan. One important thing I'd like to point out to you is the OFFSET. The offset should be 21 mm for the front and rear. This is what my HRE rim offset is (21 mm) and the fit is perfect. Zero issues! :cheers:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Robert:
How about some pics of the HRE's?
Regards,

FAST 5 said:
I have the same exact rim & tire sizing as Bob. My rims are HRE rims, which were custom made for the E39 M5 sedan. One important thing I'd like to point out to you is the OFFSET. The offset should be 21 mm for the front and rear. This is what my HRE rim offset is (21 mm) and the fit is perfect. Zero issues! :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your input guys...

howler, you say you have 285/30-19 GS-D3 but they do not appear to be available on Tirerack site, is this due to that they have either stoped making them or is missing off the list?
With the offsets I have listed, what will the affect be on fit and ride quality, you mention it should be 21, will they not fit correctly? They are Kinesis wheels...

·
Registered
754 Posts
OOPS! My mistake.
I put 275/30's on the M5 and 285/30's on my wife's CLK 500.
Dazed and confused I guess.
Here is a link to a thread I started that has pics.of the tires on the car:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53323

baldy_bonce said:
thanks for your input guys...

howler, you say you have 285/30-19 GS-D3 but they do not appear to be available on Tirerack site, is this due to that they have either stoped making them or is missing off the list?
With the offsets I have listed, what will the affect be on fit and ride quality, you mention it should be 21, will they not fit correctly? They are Kinesis wheels...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
howler said:
OOPS! My mistake.
I put 275/30's on the M5 and 285/30's on my wife's CLK 500.
Dazed and confused I guess.
Here is a link to a thread I started that has pics.of the tires on the car:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53323
another nice M5 !...

howler your wife CLK500 sounds bad-*** too, do you happen to have a pic of it

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts