BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing threads about how popular 19" BBS LM or LM-R wheels are for our E39s. Why is that? In no way do I wish to insult the LM faithful... of course I find the wheels plenty attractive. I just don't understand why they're so much more popular than other BBS lines? For instance, I find the RG-R and RS-GT every bit as beautiful as the LMs, but they're also lighter weight and more uniform in style/color (love the solid black diamond finish)

Is it strictly a question of aesthetics or is there something else I'm missing? Resistance to damage/bends? Cost?

Clear this one up for me?! ??????

Nathan

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I do not know the weight difference between the models (im sure there is a difference, small as they might be) but mostly I believe its due to its classic design. While all those wheels posted are nice, and all look good on the e39, to me the LM wheels look best due to the tight spokes, sandwich mount face creating more wheel lip, and the amount of wheel bolts (not too many, not too few).

When compared to other spoke design wheels, I like the LM since the spokes do not cross. This lends them to look a little larger and less busy in the middle.

I think you will get a different answer from each member since their likes may differ, but im sure many will agree that the LM's classic design "just works" on this car.

You might ask me why dont I have a set since I like them so much? I just wanted something different. While the LM's to me are one of the few top aftermarket wheels for the e39 (IMO), there are a lot of people running them, and I wanted something that looked good, but isnt commonly seen on this car. So thats why I have RDSport RD2's and ACS Type II Racing 3-piece wheels.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per the BBS USA web site, the weight for a 19x8.5 wheel is:
1) LM = 23.9 lbs
2) LM-R = 23.4 lbs
3) RG-R = 20.8 lbs (for 19x9, no 19x8.5 offered)
4) RS-GT = 20.8 lbs

So roughly 3 lbs lighter per wheel for the RGR and RSGT... that's a 12% wt reduction... not bad!

·
Registered
663 Posts
the LMs just look the best on the e39. for me its either stock or LM or dinan.
This guy gets it ^^^^

Show: LM's (see sig)

Go: Dinan's

or stock. Really the only wheels worth replacing the beautiful Style 65's with.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
How is the dinan wheels even in the same league as the BBSs? They look out of place with 7 thin spokes on the E39.

Reactions: NathanM5

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm with you Nathan, with me leaning towards the RG-Rs right now. Do you or anyone else know if it's possible to run a squared setup of the 18x10 ET25 RG-R?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How is the dinan wheels even in the same league as the BBSs? They look out of place with 7 thin spokes on the E39.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the plain 7 spoke Dinan wheels (No offense Mike!!). Are they really sub-20 lbs for 19" wheels?? The newer Dinan wheels for the E39 based on the BBS CH-R wheels, look better to me, but not better than the LM, RG, or RS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't like the look of the LMs or the LM-Rs simply because I'm not a fan of rivets on alloys. It makes them look as if they should be fitted to a GT3 car or something. Funnily enough, I was actually looking at the RG-Rs last night and they would have to be my favorite out of the ones you listed.

I think these would look great on an E39. Very similar in design to the BBS alloys you listed but deep dish and without the rivets. :M5launch:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts

IDK, Dinan wheels look pretty alright to me... they're also lighter then the RG-R / RS-GT by about 1.5 - 2 pounds / wheel
Oops, didn't mean to upset the Dinan crew. I guess it's personal preference, I think a more meaty wheel face compliments the E39's sturdy profile and potent S62 better, just IMO. Having said that, I'm a big fan of the LMs, even over the style 65s.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't like the look of the LMs or the LM-Rs simply because I'm not a fan of rivets on alloys. It makes them look as if they should be fitted to a GT3 car or something. Funnily enough, I was actually looking at the RG-Rs last night and they would have to be my favorite out of the ones you listed.

I think these would look great on an E39. Very similar in design to the BBS alloys you listed but deep dish and without the rivets. :M5launch:
I like the look of that Beyern Mesh design. You've got the 4 lug picture there, but they make a 5 lug that fits E39s. I like that Beyern and Breyton too, are both German companies and design specifically for BMWs. I have this thing about not wanting to see my wheels on Subarus and Toyotas. But I have trouble finding weights listed for them, which makes me worried they might be heavy. I've been told neither of them are as durable/high quality as the BBS wheels, but I have no first hand experience with either brand.

The similar wheel made by Breyton is called the Spirit,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts