BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been on this board for a long time, just purchased my 3rd E39 M5 from Daniel :M5launch: (beastpower). Getting some tweaks done to the car, so I'll have some pics in a couple of months. I'm looking into having the widest possible wheel put on. I would like to run 295/35/18 tires all around. Here's what seems to be the "maxed out" fitment based on my research:

Front: 18" x 10" 13mm offset
Rear: 18" x 10" 25mm offset
Rear optional: 18" x 10.5" xx offset

Would anyone on here be interested in ordering well made wheels for E39 specific fitment, with the exact offsets needed and 74.1 hubbore? Weight should be under 19 lbs. per wheel and cost in the $300 range.

I really want these for my own car, but if there's enough interest, maybe I can have the manufacturer put a group buy together. They said I can even give them some design ideas. Just wanted to get input from you guys :1:

- Anton

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I am interested, depending upon the resolution of the issues Mike raises. Would need to be forged for my purposes. Also, I doubt that you are going to fit anything larger than 275s on the front, much less 295s. There are a number of board members IIRC that run 18 x 10.5 on the rear with something like 20mm ET and 295s, so that much is probably doable. My ideal setup would be to run 18 x 9.5s with 285s up front and 18 x 10 or 18 x 10.5 with 295s on the back, but successfully fitting 285s on the front is something I have not yet seen.

Mike, where are the SSR GT2s sold and are their offsets customizable?

--Peter

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I am interested, depending upon the resolution of the issues Mike raises. Would need to be forged for my purposes. Also, I doubt that you are going to fit anything larger than 275s on the front, much less 295s. There are a number of board members IIRC that run 18 x 10.5 on the rear with something like 20mm ET and 295s, so that much is probably doable. My ideal setup would be to run 18 x 9.5s with 285s up front and 18 x 10 or 18 x 10.5 with 295s on the back, but successfully fitting 285s on the front is something I have not yet seen.

Mike, where are the SSR GT2s sold and are their offsets customizable?

--Peter
Peter,

You'd have to find a set used...and IIRC, you'd have to run spacers with them. I run 18x10 all the way around, with "275" width RA1s which actually measure out much wider (closer to 310mm). The only issues I have are that the tires rub the front wheel well liner at full lock (same happens with my 275 direzzas, but not nearly as bad). I can get away with this because I have coilovers with stiff enough springs to keep the suspension from rubbing over bumps, and the fact that I use spacers to keep the inside of the tire from hitting the spring/perch

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Peter,

I run 18x10 all the way around, with "275" width RA1s which actually measure out much wider (closer to 310mm).
Thanks, Mike. What offset/spacer combo do you run in the front in order to accommodate the 18 x 10s? Sounds like running 285s in the front is actually doable, depending upon the tire!

--Peter

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Thanks, Mike. What offset/spacer combo do you run in the front in order to accommodate the 18 x 10s? Sounds like running 285s in the front is actually doable, depending upon the tire!

--Peter
20mm spacer (I used to have a 25, but it was more clearance than was necessary). I forget the exact offset on the wheels.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wheel manufacturer is D-Force. Their site is D-Force - Home Page the manufacturing process would be that of the LTW5. This may actually be the wheel or we can have the design changed to suit the E39 better (which may change the cost slightly). I personally REALLY like the look of the GT2 on E55AMG2 car, but if a wheel is made for this exact application, no spacers would be required and it would be hubcentric. I don't think it's realistic to have a fully forged wheel built in small quantity and have it be anywhere near $300/wheel price point.

D-Force wheels are currently carried by Rob @ UUC but their 18" x 10" wheel has a 43mm offset, which would require a large heavy spacer for our cars. That's why I think if we can get enough of us together, we can have a run of E39 specific wheels made and this would make for a great track / street warrior set :haha2:

And by the way...I really like Michelin PS2, and want to run them on my car. They don't make a 285/35/18 so it's either 295 or 275. So I'm going to try and figure out a way how to get 295 to fit in the front ouich mind you...that's the width of 996 Turbo rear tires. I have some used 295 tires here, so as soon as I get a chance I'll do some test fitting. E55AMG2: if your RA1s measure out to 310mm, I don't see any problem running a 295 tire in the front, since the cross section of the 295/35/18 PS2 is roughly 303mm.I think it will be a nice setup to handle the weight of our beasts.

How's the ride with those high springs rates? My GC coilovers are currently being installed with the 430/325 street rates.

- Anton

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
couple pics of LTW5 from their site (not much of a site to look at btw):

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
How's the ride with those high springs rates? My GC coilovers are currently being installed with the 430/325 street rates.

- Anton
The ride is excellent on most pavement. It will toss you out of the seat on a large, sharp bump. Also, you have to be mindful of speed bumps or you might chip a tooth. 99% of the time they ride very very well (esp with PS2's....Direzzas are harsher). I tried those, but found them to be too mushy for track use with R-comps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you guys looking for pre-manufactured rims that have the correct offset and sizes? Or are you guys looking to get a custom set built. To get around spacers, the best thing is to send in the specs to the manufacture and have a set custom built. I've ordered two sets from iForged and the fitment was perfect. HRE is also going to be made to order. What route is everyone looking at, and what price range? I'd be open to setting up a group buy if you want to go the custom route. Here is the first set i bought.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you guys looking for pre-manufactured rims that have the correct offset and sizes? Or are you guys looking to get a custom set built. To get around spacers, the best thing is to send in the specs to the manufacture and have a set custom built. I've ordered two sets from iForged and the fitment was perfect. HRE is also going to be made to order. What route is everyone looking at, and what price range? I'd be open to setting up a group buy if you want to go the custom route. Here is the first set i bought.
don't even get me started on iForged wheels lol (not to mention they would be wayyy more $ than what's being talked about here). IMO, one of the worst wheel companies out there, and I'm speaking from direct experience. HREs are nice, but once again they will be more expensive and heavier (3-piece) than a 1-piece wheel.

Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty much

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep your eye out for SSR GT2-H's, they pop up now and again but you've got to be quick.
I love how those look on your car. Didn't realize they're that light. What's the offset on those bad boys?

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I love how those look on your car. Didn't realize they're that light. What's the offset on those bad boys?
+25, and on my scale they were 17.9lbs w/o the center caps. I have to run a 20mm spacer up front to clear my coilovers, and there isnt any need for a spacer out back. With 275 RA1's, they're within 10mm of the 315s on the back of my 4.6is

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+25, and on my scale they were 17.9lbs w/o the center caps. I have to run a 20mm spacer up front to clear my coilovers, and there isnt any need for a spacer out back. With 275 RA1's, they're within 10mm of the 315s on the back of my 4.6is
I had a crazy thought to get a set of 18" x 10" and run 295/35/18 PS2 on them, but I'm pretty sure the front fenders will have to be pulled out at the very least. Rear shouldn't be too much of a problem. A 10" wheel would have to have a 15mm offset to clear my GC front strut by 1mm.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I had a crazy thought to get a set of 18" x 10" and run 295/35/18 PS2 on them, but I'm pretty sure the front fenders will have to be pulled out at the very least. Rear shouldn't be too much of a problem. A 10" wheel would have to have a 15mm offset to clear my GC front strut by 1mm.
275 RA1's are a bit wider than even 295 PS2's. Theyre just shy of my 315/35-20 Michelin Diamaris 4x4. You shouldnt need to roll out the fenders, the fronts will clear with just a spacer. The rear will fit w/o issue.

For Peter:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts