BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody run 18" winter tires? is it better to run same size or can i keep the staggered setup? please share your experiences.

i wonder if i should stick with 17" winter tires.. i'm looking at dunlop M3 or M2 tires. i'm in annarbor, mi. thanks!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm going to use 18" Winter tires this winter, 235front 265rear. Alot of my friends tried to get me thinking in the 17" range, but the beast will than look lika tuned 520... I think 18" is the minimum :hihi:

I'm having Pirelli Winter 240.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When it comes to snow driving, especially here in Illinois (and Michigan), you are better off with 17" wheels/tires. Slightly narrower tread gets you through snow more safely and with more control. Also, slighly higher sidewalls protect you against those hidden obstacles that may be covered in snow when driving. I just ordered 245/45/17" wheel tire combo from Tire Rack. I use Dunlop Winter Sport M3's - they are a great tire in snow, and surprisingly responsive in dry weather. Give Tire Rack a call for advice.

Gavin

·
Registered
842 Posts
gavingray said:
When it comes to snow driving, especially here in Illinois (and Michigan), you are better off with 17" wheels/tires. Slightly narrower tread gets you through snow more safely and with more control. Also, slighly higher sidewalls protect you against those hidden obstacles that may be covered in snow when driving. I just ordered 245/45/17" wheel tire combo from Tire Rack. I use Dunlop Winter Sport M3's - they are a great tire in snow, and surprisingly responsive in dry weather. Give Tire Rack a call for advice.

Gavin
Well said.

Derek

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It is better to run 17s, but you can definately get through the snow with 18 inch snows. I run 18' Dunlop Winter Sports and have had no real issues driving in the snow as long as it is below a 4 inches or so.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Tirerack sells a smaller size M5 tire and wheel combo for snow use. It is quite affordable...on the order of $1200. Narrower and smaller diameter wheels are superior for adverse weahter use.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well I live in Finland, so I know about snow. I can't see any reason why a 18" wheel, strictly based on the diameter whould be worse off than a 17" high wheel.

And yes, you should try to keep the tire width to a minimum, but the hight, that's just nonsense.

I use 18" and like them wide, because I know I can handle them.

First snow is expected in a couple of weeks :crying:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Well I live in Finland, so I know about snow. I can't see any reason why a 18" wheel, strictly based on the diameter whould be worse off than a 17" high wheel.

And yes, you should try to keep the tire width to a minimum, but the hight, that's just nonsense.

I use 18" and like them wide, because I know I can handle them.

First snow is expected in a couple of weeks :crying:
I run Dunlop Winter Sports on stock M5 wheels in the snow. I agree with everything you say... except for that last cry-baby face. Bring on the snow! !!
lovelove

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: 18" winter tires: bad idea? 17 " recommended

Tire Rack recommends that you go one inch less than summer tires for maximum winter traction performance. I run Dunlop M3 Wintersports.....very stable handling, a little mushy on hard acceleration, but better than anything on the market having tried about everything the past 30 years in snow, besides studded tires......17" had no issues...having said that, I think the 18" would be fine also, but Tire Rack is the expert in my book with their test data, etc....owner also had an E39 M5 at one time, so I imagine the 17 " recommendation is pretty good.....running borbet rims that I purchased through TRack.....17 " also less expensive...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Forget what everyone says. If you want the 18s and you are willing to give up a little snow performance, go for it. I have 245-18 and 265-18 on oem wheels and it serves the purpose. The last time I checked, it doesn't snow EVERYDAY in the winter.

'Rocket

·
Registered
842 Posts
As is evident from the posts here, tire choice is often tied to personal preference. For actual best snow performance you may want to refer to the tire strategy used by World Rally Championship teams during snow packed road stages. The cars look a little strange during those stages because the wheel/tire combination contact patch is so narrow you'd think it was one of those cheap space saving spare tires or maybe even a motorcycle tire. Unfortunately there are no 18" wheel/tire combinations for the E39 M5 (that I know of) that offers a narrow contact patch and that is why many here suggest going to a lower profile wheel/tire (like 17"). I believe the intent is to gain a narrower contact patch and by doing so improve snow covered road performance.

Derek

·
Registered
45 Posts
18'' with similar width to the summer tires are the better choice for every day driving. People using the 235 17'' recommended by BMW reported bad traction control and curve stability. I live in nothern germany where we have cold winters but usually not too much snow, so the 18'' will be my choice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
18" winter tires is not a bad idea, but I recommend you to not use the OEM wheels because of higher risk to dammage/scratch them.

Here are my winter wheels 17" M,
link:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts