BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the part no's for the e34 Fitment 18" M Parallel wheels?

I've been offered a set but don't want to end up buying some that are 7 series fitment.

Cheers in advance-

Ste

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Aren't they visibly different too?
I though the 7 series ones had a bead blasted shiny surface, rather than painted silver like the M5 wheels?

The spigot is still the right size, so they will physically mount on the hub, but as you can see, the rear wheels are wider and the offsets are different. You might be able to overcome that with spacer plates for the fronts, but the rears would probably need machining down to fit, as (I think) the smaller offset will mean they'd be mounted further out in the arches (probably fouling the bodywork).

Some people mount 265 tyres on the back of their M5s though, so I'm sure 9.5J wheels would go, as long as an appropriate tyre was fitted.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My memory is definitely NOT right !!

The 18" Style 37 parallels are eBay item #7959914840 start price is €1099 with BUY NOW at €1249 !!

The £220 is for a UK set of alloys and tyres off a 1992 M5 so i'm assuming the throwing star ones, no picture listed, that's eBay #7960073514.

D.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob Plummer said:
Totally off topic, but Ste - what you going to put them on!!?? Have you bought another one??!!
I wish Rob. I think I've bought an e34 525 Sport. (Have to finalise it). It's full M5 spec - the kit painted correctly, the rear number plate surround etc.. obviously only has 192bhp though. Previous owner has also fitted M5 badges. :( These will be binned obviously.

Basically it's dead cheap, it has the genuine towbar fitted and will suffice until I find the right M5.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I checked this one out. They are Throwing Star ones

M5saloon said:
My memory is definitely NOT right !!

The 18" Style 37 parallels are eBay item #7959914840 start price is €1099 with BUY NOW at €1249 !!

The £220 is for a UK set of alloys and tyres off a 1992 M5 so i'm assuming the throwing star ones, no picture listed, that's eBay #7960073514.

D.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Simonal said:
What for the wrong ones? i.e. not M5 but 7 series

They are in the UK in London eBay number 4532822527 currently at £100 with 3days+ to go.
Thank you.
Yes, i ment the ones for 7-series.
IMO the only downside when fitting them to our cars, is that they are not original equipment. The E38 wheels look better, the rears are wider, and they reduce understeer :)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Donati said:
Thank you.
Yes, i ment the ones for 7-series.
IMO the only downside when fitting them to our cars, is that they are not original equipment. The E38 wheels look better, the rears are wider, and they reduce understeer :)
Yes I agree as I think the extra width at the back would be very nice.

I really wanted an extra set of wheels for my Touring so I can get the originals refurbed and still drive the car.

Also an extra set would be useful to do track days with as I could carry these there and then still be leagal on the way home.

Any ideas regarding fitting these. I have a 95b Touring so comes standard with 18" but normal 8.0 and 9.0.

Thanks in advance

Simon

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The main difference is at the front - the front wheels are 7mm nearer to the outside lip of the front arch. This might not cause a problem - however you may find under compression while cornering you end up bending your front arch lip. This extra offset will also amplify bump steer and tramlining and will accelerate wear of the front wheel bearings as the forces transmitted through the wheel centre being further away, has more leverage on them.

At the rear you have an extra 1/2 inch of wheel. The higher offset compensates for this slightly and spreads the width on both sides of the centreline of the wheel. You may find the rears rub on the rear inner arch though. May be worth a gamble or might turn out to be a royal pain in the arse...

I'm still considering them myself but I'm not sure it's going to be worth the hassle. Having messed about with different wheels on lots of different cars, there's nothing more infuriating than having bad fitting wheels ruining enjoyment of driving your car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had 18" BBS RK in an E39 offset on mine and the tramlining and bump steer were shocking. They looked great, but really spoiled the handling of the car so they went as soon as the tyres wore out. Back on 17" throwing stars now :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Bryn said:
I had 18" BBS RK in an E39 offset on mine and the tramlining and bump steer were shocking. They looked great, but really spoiled the handling of the car so they went as soon as the tyres wore out. Back on 17" throwing stars now :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bryn.
After having a fair few cars and having changed a few wheels :7: I agree with both of you. Although the wider ones would look great the reason I purchased the car in the first place was because of the balance and the handling so it would be a shame to mess that up with the wrong wheels just for looks and the fact that they are available!

Think I will leave it and wait until I can get a real M5 set of wheels.

brgds

Simon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.