BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states i opened her up one late night on a diclosed stretch of highway and it just kept pullin and pullin til i let off around 175.... so what gives? ( not that im complaining) but i thought our cars were limited at around 155 being in stock form.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Its possible yours may have been reflashed by a previous owner and you are not aware of it. I drove a local guys M5 and noticed the throttle response was much different than mine, felt smoother and then he ended up doing about 170mph. Later found out he had the dinan software.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,243 Posts
Chances are its chipped, the speedo is always quite positive, but it doesn't go to 175 without chip.
It should be easy to calculate the RPM's in 6th gear the limiter cuts in at.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is that it WAS chipped when i purchased it... I later had to have it reflashed back to stock for emmissions purposes and also found out i had the dreaded AA code at that time also..

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
The thing is that it WAS chipped when i purchased it... I later had to have it reflashed back to stock for emmissions purposes and also found out i had the dreaded AA code at that time also..
2 different items, but can be done (and usually are done) together.

One is to reflash for better performance, the other is to remove the top speed limiter, which kicks in at about 155 mph. Should go to around 162-164 based on normal speedo error without being delimted. Real top speed should be over 175 mph (real) depending on how hard the engine can pull in top gear.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts