BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Pm me and I can share my friends contact info. He is in central Florida.

He is currently working on a g-power E63 M6. Knows a little about what to do with these cars...lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I actually posted about the cost of a rod bearing job in Silicon Valley in Woody's thread regarding his most recent Blackstone Labs report.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...-replaced-17-000-miles-ago-2.html#post5092297

---
Varies a lot by your location and the hardware you choose to use.

For Silicon Valley, I got quotes from two of the most popular BMW indy shops. For parts and labor, indy shop A quoted $3500 OTD and indy shop B quoted $4000 OTD, both shops using WPC treated rod bearings and ARP bolts and include oil.

Price breakdown...hardware parts alone cost at least $1200 (WPC treated rod bearings being $700 and ARP bolts being $500). I'm not sure what other parts may be needed. Then you add on 9qts of oil and filter which is about $170 or so. The rest is all labor."

So $1200 + $170 = $1370. Let's say $1400 just for parts (maybe it's more). Leaving the labor being $2100 from one indy shop A and $2600 from indy shop B.
---

Your $1700 for labor doesn't sound too bad to me. Silicon Valley is expensive haha

Reactions: mfarad510

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Another price to reference...my friend just dropped his E90 M3 off at my above mentioned indy shop B (more expensive shop) and his rod bearing job will cost him $3345 for parts and labor OTD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was quoted $2,780 out the door, price includes bearings, oil & filter, labor, connecting rod, oil pan and ISA bolts with oil level sender. Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I was quoted $2,780 out the door, price includes bearings, oil & filter, labor, connecting rod, oil pan and ISA bolts with oil level sender. Sounds like a good deal to me.
OEM bearings or WPC treated? Or something else?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I got a 20 hrs estimate at Turner in MA. So, it would run close to 2700 or so. Not sure if this is with the ARP bolts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anybody have quotes from the nyc area.. i seen quotes at low as 700 for labor alone... I may be wrong but i believe its a full days labor with the motor staying in the car...

Labor rate @ 100/hr

17 hrs = 2 full days labor..

2 days just for rod bearings, seriously???

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Does anybody have quotes from the nyc area.. i seen quotes at low as 700 for labor alone... I may be wrong but i believe its a full days labor with the motor staying in the car...

Labor rate @ 100/hr

17 hrs = 2 full days labor..

2 days just for rod bearings, seriously???
Yes, the car can be lifted up, motor is suspended with engine support bar or the like and front rack and pinion is dropped to ultimately remove the oil pan. I can see how this turns into a "more than one day job" easily, especially when you go for other work while the engine is open. Turner stated that they had never done this job on the M5, which is both surprising and worrisome. If you can find somebody that has done it on an M5 before, I bet they can do it in less time. Love to do it myself, and I could if I had time and space. But I don't.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, the car can be lifted up, motor is suspended with engine support bar or the like and front rack and pinion is dropped to ultimately remove the oil pan. I can see how this turns into a "more than one day job" easily, especially when you go for other work while the engine is open. Turner stated that they had never done this job on the M5, which is both surprising and worrisome. If you can find somebody that has done it on an M5 before, I bet they can do it in less time. Love to do it myself, and I could if I had time and space. But I don't.
Thats the biggest issue right there.. People are getting book quotes instead of quotes from people who have done this before.. I honestly would only go someone with experience. Of course i have the luxury seeing I'm in NYC.. I have Pa and NJ next door so i have many shops to choose from. But i refuse to believe this takes a full 2 days labor. And when i say 2 days, i mean a complete 2 (8hr) days. Not 6 hrs today and the continue with another 5 hrs tomorrow. Can any D.I.Y'ers chime in.. How many hrs did it take you guys.. And how much man power did you have

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thats the biggest issue right there.. People are getting book quotes instead of quotes from people who have done this before.. I honestly would only go someone with experience. Of course i have the luxury seeing I'm in NYC.. I have Pa and NJ next door so i have many shops to choose from. But i refuse to believe this takes a full 2 days labor. And when i say 2 days, i mean a complete 2 (8hr) days. Not 6 hrs today and the continue with another 5 hrs tomorrow. Can any D.I.Y'ers chime in.. How many hrs did it take you guys.. And how much man power did you have
Well, I can tell you that the quotes I previously provided are from indy shops which have done multiple rod bearing swaps (they probably do a rod bearing swap on a S65 once every other week, S85 not as often since here in Silicon Valley there are predominantly more S65s than S85s). One of them also employs BMW Master Technicians so they definitely know what they're doing and rod bearing jobs are actually considered one of their easier jobs, just time consuming.

And I agree, I would only let someone with a handful of experience perform this job on my car (which will probably be happening in the next few months).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Randy what Indy shop are you using? I've been looking for a local Indy Shop to do the rod bearings and all the mechanics I've talked to have never touched an S85 engine or don't want the liability of messing something up. Can anyone suggest a shop in NorCal or Socal?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts