BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear someone must have closed a section of the M25 for me last night, post midnight. Ambient temp was nice and low, clicked into P500sport, full S6 banzai mode and went for it. 165mph on the limiter in 5th in no time and back to less than 100mph again before anyone could notice. Accounting for speedo error I reckon a true 155mph?

I'm also going for a DMSautomotive chip very soon which could add another 50BHP and a delimit, well we'll see. I'll be asking for a pre and post dyno test.

But the biggest shock was fuel economy overall on my run. From one tank of Shell Optimax I got over 300 miles, admittedly most at just above the 70mph UK legal limit.

My 997 Turbo due June next year had better be faster!

·
Registered
43 Posts
nice man, The speed that you saw on the speedo was a true 165mph trust me, all M cars do the same from the old E39 M5, E46 M3 and the new E60 M5 and M6, on our speedo they show 270km/hr. I think BMW did this so M cars could always outrun other cars. And for that I thank them very much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It has been my experience that BMW M5's have lots of speedo error. An indicated 165 mph is usually just over 150 mph. Will e28, e34, e39 M5's

UOTE=//ChiplogicPower]nice man, The speed that you saw on the speedo was a true 165mph trust me, all M cars do the same from the old E39 M5, E46 M3 and the new E60 M5 and M6, on our speedo they show 270km/hr. I think BMW did this so M cars could always outrun other cars. And for that I thank them very much.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
All German cars speedos have an optimistic (read over estimating) speedo reading by law. The positive error various and is generally not linear (read lower in % at low speeds). When you have nothing better to do, take a handheld GPS with you and do some tests at various speeds. :wroom:

Ufuk

//ChiplogicPower said:
nice man, The speed that you saw on the speedo was a true 165mph trust me, all M cars do the same from the old E39 M5, E46 M3 and the new E60 M5 and M6, on our speedo they show 270km/hr. I think BMW did this so M cars could always outrun other cars. And for that I thank them very much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the E39 you used to be able to call up the GPS page from the system. It was used for testing or something but it had the forward speed of the car in m/s. If you could be bothered to do the conversion that was a nice way to find the true speed compared to speedo reading.

I wonder if there are hidden menus and information pages in I-drive that could provide information like that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Micro Pilot fitted on mine and at speeds below 85mph the error between the two is quite small 2-3mph @ 85mph after which it does increase, have not got too 165mph so cannot comment, but I would think it would be less than 10mph?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Gentlemen, please be aware that 'big brother' does monitor car websites and you should be careful what you say lest you open yourself up for prosecution. I assume that M25 was a typo and these antics were all actually "performed in Germany" ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Gentlemen, please be aware that 'big brother' does monitor car websites and you should be careful what you say lest you open yourself up for prosecution. I assume that M25 was a typo and these antics were all actually "performed in Germany" ;)
Or private Airfield ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts